Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The Green Lantern corps are established right from the get go as having multiple characters running around in the costume at the same time, so their statuses as legacies is a bit murky. Maybe Kyle since he inherited the lead role that Hal more or less had since the 60s.

All Robins after Dick are legacies though, that isn't even a question.

Was my post deleted? That’s a thing?
    How interesting.

Kamala is the star of the new avengers game
    Miles is getting his own video game and movies

DC has done next to nothing with their new legacy characters because they keep trying to sabotage them and push someone else which in turn is sabotaged and the cycle repeats itself
    nobody is winning with this formula look at GL
    No need to focus on John Stewart or Kyle I'll create my own OC legacies
    Look at Flash
    no need to focus on Wallace we need to focus on Wally again
    Look at Batman
    Duke, Cass, Gotham Girl, etc it's like WWE with all the discarded and cancelled pushes over there

the Hunger Games at DC comics imo no one character can ever get too much focus less they draw the ire of other fanbases who absolutely will hate a character on merit alone
    Last edited by Nite-Wing; 10-20-2020 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post

DC has done next to nothing with their new legacy characters because they keep trying to sabotage them and push someone else which in turn is sabotaged and the cycle repeats itself
    Look at Flash
    Look at Batman
    Duke, Cass, Gotham Girl, etc it's like WWE with all the discarded and cancelled pushes over there

the Hunger Games at DC comics imo no one character can ever get too much focus less they draw the ire of other fanbases who absolutely will hate a character on merit alone
    Yeah it’s actually a problem. For Marvel it’s not as noticeable when the Power Pack or New Warriors aren’t around for a number of years because their identities aren’t really attached to other heroes. For DC I’m gonna notice every time Duke or Cass is excluded from the Batfam because DC used that connection to make us care about them in the first place.

Mighty Member

Look at Flash
    Look at Batman

SEE that the DC's biggest root problems and wonder why they couldn't attract new readers or audiences. Meanwhile, Marvel grows and expands with the support of video games and TV series.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Typical.

Anyway, Miles being a star of a new game which is basically sequel/expansion isn't a huge deal. If Marvel actually "care" about their legacy characters, Miles would have been the Spider-Man of MCU instead of Pater. If they cared, Ms Marvel would have got a movie a long time ago.

So OP, no. Marvel isn't doing a better job than DC with their handling of their legacy characters (especially when they only have two successful and one of them only end up being successful thanks to Sony). They definitely did a smart job by not filling their universe with unnecessary legacy characters left and right like DC did, tho.
    Kamala's backstory requires Carol to be active first. They really couldn't have done her any earlier. Besides, she only debuted in the comics seven years ago!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Look at Flash
    Look at Batman

I wouldn't give Marvel much credit for Miles. That's more on Sony and Insomniac.

And DC's POC heroes are pretty prevalent in their media adaptions.

Retired

If someone wants to give the award to Marvel Comics for legacy characters, then be my guest. I hate the term and all the contorted logic that flows from it.

Seems to me "legacy" was a term fans came up with in the 1990s (if I'm wrong, let me know), which would mean that for over half a century all the characters that later got the legacy label were managing just fine without it. When they were introduced, nobody thought additional characters were legacies, such as Lois Lane, Robin the Boy Wonder, Speedy, Jimmy Olsen, Alfred, Bucky Barnes, Toro, Captain Marvel, Jr., Woozy Winks, Doll Girl, Krypto, Supergirl, Aqualad, Snapper Carr, Rick Jones, Tomar-Re, Jarvis or Carol Danvers.

It happens that lead characters attract supporting casts for their stories. And then these supporting cast characters often go on to have their own stories. You don't need to create something called "legacy" to account for that. By making it a thing--it makes it seem that the development of these additional characters is a phenomenon of the universe, like mutants and metahumans are a phenomenon in those universes. When in reality, it's pure happenstance that certain characters become popular and get a bigger spotlight. "Legacy" shouldn't be a story-machine for churning out new characters with the same codenames and costumes as those that already exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If someone wants to give the award to Marvel Comics for legacy characters, then be my guest. I hate the term and all the contorted logic that flows from it.

Seems to me "legacy" was a term fans came up with in the 1990s (if I'm wrong, let me know), which would mean that for over half a century all the characters that later got the legacy label were managing just fine without it. When they were introduced, nobody thought additional characters were legacies, such as Lois Lane, Robin the Boy Wonder, Speedy, Jimmy Olsen, Alfred, Bucky Barnes, Toro, Captain Marvel, Jr., Woozy Winks, Doll Girl, Krypto, Supergirl, Aqualad, Snapper Carr, Rick Jones, Tomar-Re, Jarvis or Carol Danvers.

It happens that lead characters attract supporting casts for their stories. And then these supporting cast characters often go on to have their own stories. You don't need to create something called "legacy" to account for that. By making it a thing--it makes it seem that the development of these additional characters is a phenomenon of the universe, like mutants and metahumans are a phenomenon in those universes. When in reality, it's pure happenstance that certain characters become popular and get a bigger spotlight. "Legacy" shouldn't be a story-machine for churning out new characters with the same codenames and costumes as those that already exist.
    I think you're misinterpreting what legacy actually means here.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wouldn't give Marvel much credit for Miles. That's more on Sony and Insomniac.

And DC's POC heroes are pretty prevalent in their media adaptions.
    On the other hand, Marvel did keep Miles going after they stopped the Ultimate Universe?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Voodoo was Strange's successor as Sorcerer Supreme.
    But still not a legacy character. Magik is being groomed as a possible successor as well.

Monica called herself Captain Marvel after Thing gave her that name. She was a legacy character and her powers being different didn't change that.
    Please. Monica had nothing to do with Mar-Vell in any way shape or form.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    But still not a legacy character. Magik is being groomed as a possible successor as well.

Please. Monica had nothing to do with Mar-Vell in any way shape or form.
    Again, she still used the name Captain Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I honestly find "legacy characters" a bit of an overrated concept honestly; at least when it comes to DC since I don't read Marvel.
    I would say they are underrated, but even that gives them too much credit.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    On the other hand, Marvel did keep Miles going after they stopped the Ultimate Universe?
    True, though I was referring to the bigger media push for the character.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Again, she still used the name Captain Marvel.
    Still not a legacy character.
    I gave you an example for luke cage.
    He is called power man but there was powerman earlier in marvel comics that had nothing to do with him.
    Is luke cage a legacy character? no.

Note-james rhodes was legacy character but not anymore since he been war-machine for along time and not ironman anymore.

The debate for war-machine is he really a side kick or not.