Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Well, Jaime and Jessica don't make anyone else seem old. When Batman has all these "generations" under him, you have to question..."Well, how old is this guy? 50?" While there is nothing wrong with being 50 years old, you then have to question if you want to read Batman as 50 years old, and perhaps not for a lot of people, because the character wasn't designed to be like that.
    DiDio likely has a problem with Wally because he likes Barry and having two Flashes is pretty redundant. His problem with Dick is probably twofold. First, he probably isn't fond of the "Nightwing" identity, and also Dick aged up to the point where he is in his prime, so that makes Batman seem "older". Probably a similar deal with Donna and Diana. Diana is supposed to be the ultimate dream woman (I think), but how can she be when there's this younger, fresher, yet fully matured version of her running around?

I don't agree with a lot of DiDio's preferences and decisions, but there is often at least a kernel of logic in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Falz View Post
    Well, Jaime and Jessica don't make anyone else seem old. When Batman has all these "generations" under him, you have to question..."Well, how old is this guy? 50?" While there is nothing wrong with being 50 years old, you then have to question if you want to read Batman as 50 years old, and perhaps not for a lot of people, because the character wasn't designed to be like that.
    DiDio likely has a problem with Wally because he likes Barry and having two Flashes is pretty redundant. His problem with Dick is probably twofold. First, he probably isn't fond of the "Nightwing" identity, and also Dick aged up to the point where he is in his prime, so that makes Batman seem "older". Probably a similar deal with Donna and Diana. Diana is supposed to be the ultimate dream woman (I think), but how can she be when there's this younger, fresher, yet fully matured version of her running around?

I don't agree with a lot of DiDio's preferences and decisions, but there is often at least a kernel of logic in them.
    I don’t get the mindset behind not wanting to read about a 40 or 50 year old Bruce (or have any hero reach that age). People watched RDJ play a super hero till he was 55 and there were no complaints. All of these heroes are supposed to be very attractive and in prime physical shape so it’s not like 40-50 yr old Bruce is gonna be a bag of bones.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 11-08-2020 at 11:55 AM.

Astonishing Member

I don’t get the mindset behind not wanting read about a 40 or 50 year old Bruce (or have any hero reach that age).
    I don't get it neither.
    I'm not talking about what he should be over sixty years old, but I don't see the tragedy in the fact that he may be a little over forty years old. TDRKR is one of the main stories about Batman, he is an old man there, and I don't think most readers were upset by this.

BANNED

There are a couple things about that.

First, a 50 year old Bruce Wayne has wide spreading ramifications, because Bruce Wayne is in a shared universe. If HE's that old, it has an effect on basically every other character and that would be a lot to commit to and it may not jive with how other people want to present the characters they are working on. Either that, or you would just have something that clearly makes no sense on your hands. DiDio had some obsession with making timelines make sense, so this would likely be a big point with him.

Second, it's similar to how some people don't like Hal Jordan's grey temples. They just don't like the idea of the hero being "old" if the hero wasn't originally portrayed that way. For example, the grey is fine for Reed Richards or Doctor Strange, it seems. Hal Jordan, though? Some people have a problem with it.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with any of this, but I understand the point of view, and I don't believe it's totally insane. This is an issue that having loads of "generations" brings up. And ultimately, along with perhaps making things confusing and diluting brands, I think this is the problem DiDio had with some characters.

Extraordinary Member

When it comes to legacy characters it seems to me that DC has a strange willingness to throw away characters who have been successes. Wally West is the biggest one considering he was a regular in several hit cartoons, but there are others like Cassandra Cain as well who were very popular among fans and had long-running, successful series. Linda Danvers still has the longest-lasting Supergirl book. I could easily see DC under Didio throwing a character like Miles Morales away and pretending that he never existed in spite of all the success that character has received. Marvel will be just as quick to throw away a legacy character if that character isn't working. They did it with the role of Magik, where Amanda Sefton became the second character to assume that title, only to sporadically appear in a couple of stories that weren't well received. So they dropped her and brought back the original to great success. But if it was DC they would have dropped Amanda after a while even if she was a huge success.

Extraordinary Member

Diana is an immortal demigoddess who has been around since at least the time of the Roman Empire. Her established age is in the thousands. Even in the most recent origin for her according to Didio’s DCU timeline, she’s first came onto the hero scene in the 1940s. Is Donna being around really an issue?
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 11-08-2020 at 11:21 AM.

I've never had a hard time with the idea of a middle aged Batman. Hell, that always made more sense to me than the idea he had five Robins and a ten year old son and was somehow still in his early 30s like DC likes to pretend.

Kids have repeatedly been shown to have no issue following adult protagonists so I don't think the "too old" argument really flies. Often, this seems to be an issue for older audience members than kids themselves.

I remember looking at a fan cast of Karl Urban for Wolverine and one comment complained that he was too old. Because Wolverine is known for being depicted as a teenager?

Ultimate Member

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with any of this, but I understand the point of view, and I don't believe it's totally insane. This is an issue that having loads of "generations" brings up. And ultimately, along with perhaps making things confusing and diluting brands, I think this is the problem DiDio had with some characters.
    Confusing and diluting what brand?

How many versions of Batman ALONE has held DC hostage?

If Dan had an issue with OLD Batman-why does he have an 11 year old BRAT?

Because to keep Bruce 30-he had to have had Damian at 18.

To be Dick's guardian-he would have be what over 21? When would he have time to train and be the nutcase Batman? Dick would have to be under the age of 18.

Bruce 22 Dick 12
    Bruce is 26 when an 18 year old Dick quits being Robin. Jason shows up-how old is he and what is he Robin for 2 years and later Red Hood?

Damian screws up stuff more than Tim and friends.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Confusing and diluting what brand?
    Any DC brand. You can make an argument that a gajillion Green Lanterns from Earth dilutes and confuses the Green Lantern brand. You can argue that two Flashes does the same for The Flash.

How many versions of Batman ALONE has held DC hostage?
    I'm afraid I do not understand the question.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I've never had a hard time with the idea of a middle aged Batman.
    There are a number of people who would like Bruce to either retire or be killed off, too. They're not going to get their wish, either.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    When it comes to legacy characters it seems to me that DC has a strange willingness to throw away characters who have been successes. Wally West is the biggest one considering he was a regular in several hit cartoons, but there are others like Cassandra Cain as well who were very popular among fans and had long-running, successful series. Linda Danvers still has the longest-lasting Supergirl book. I could easily see DC under Didio throwing a character like Miles Morales away and pretending that he never existed in spite of all the success that character has received.
    You are right, imagine Marvel was run by Didio. Mile Morales, Ms. Marvel, Amadeus Cho, Riri, Nadia, Ghost Spider, X-23 and the Young Avengers were never see the day of lights.

Any DC brand. You can make an argument that a gajillion Green Lanterns from Earth dilutes and confuses the Green Lantern brand.
    You can make that argument but seeing as how the non-comics audience appeared to have no issues with the concept itself, Jessica and Simon's book actually outsold Hal's, the positive reviews for Far Sector and that we are getting a Green Lantern series starring more than one human Lanterns, I can't see any evidence to support such a claim.

You can argue that two Flashes does the same for The Flash.
    Based on what? Of all the problems the Flash has had, two Flashes sure isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    There are a number of people who would like Bruce to either retire or be killed off, too. They're not going to get their wish, either.
    Yes, I know. Doesn't mean I find it any less stupid. Just like I find Marvel's inability to let Peter Parker stop acting like a 16 year old, to the point they had to retcon away his marriage via a deal with the devil because divorce wasn't an option, stupid.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You can make that argument but seeing as how the non-comics audience appeared to have no issues with the concept itself, Jessica and Simon's book actually outsold Hal's, the positive reviews for Far Sector and that we are getting a Green Lantern series starring more than one human Lanterns, I can't see any evidence to support such a claim.
    Ha-HA! People's exhibit A: The Green Lantern film in which people were confused as to why the lead character was of a certain ethnicity.