Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    BANNED

^ Heheh. That one was just way too easy. I don't even know if I can think of a better example of brand confusion if I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Falz View Post
    Ha-HA! People's exhibit A: The Green Lantern film in which people were confused as to why the lead character was of a certain ethnicity.
    Counter evidence: Young Justice, Green Lantern TAS, recent DC animated movies which were not followed up with comments about the Green Lantern not being a certain ethnicity. Hell, the DCAU managed just fine with having two human Green Lanterns and no one had an issue with it. And that's just on the Green Lantern side of things. This "brand confusion" is a non-existent problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Falz View Post
    ^ Heheh. That one was just way too easy. I don't even know if I can think of a better example of brand confusion if I tried.
    Probably because it's the only example you could think of if you tried. That movie is the definition of low-hanging fruit and frankly had bigger problems than John not being in the movie.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Probably because it's the only example you could think of if you tried. That movie is the definition of low-hanging fruit and frankly had bigger problems than John not being in the movie.
    Yeah, how many of the negative reviews centered on using Hal instead of John (if they even mentioned the latter at all)?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Incredible Member

Council of Geeks did a good video on the topic
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yeah, how many of the negative reviews centered on using Hal instead of John (if they even mentioned the latter at all)?
    A few asked where was John but they were drowned out by how bad the movie was and what was done with some of the merchandise.

The toys either got delayed or never came out until WAY later. I know I saw plenty of them on clearance at Wal-Mart before the movie came out.

This "brand confusion" is a non-existent problem.
    Correction it's an issue on the comic book side.

When the folks in charge plays favorites and pet games.

No one is complaining about Nubia who is slowly popping back up and WW has not been tossed in the back for her. Neither fanbase is throwing fits about it.

Spiderverse is not having this issue.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    A few asked where was John but they were drowned out by how bad the movie was and what was done with some of the merchandise.
    But I have to think the reviews of those few* weren't affected by John's absence.

* I'm assuming they were critics who only covered CB-related things - I can't see Roger Ebert or Rex Reed saying anything about it.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Those bigger problems are neither here nor there and not the subject of the discussion or my point. I didn't post in the thread to do a review of the Green Lantern movie and talk about ALL its problems, because whether they're there or not, that still doesn't escape the fact that there is documented evidence of the Green Lantern movie suffering from brand confusion, and brand confusion is not something that any sensible business should want. The fact that you have all these fans fighting each other basically all the time over which Green Lantern should be doing this or that--and it's often over scraps, because Green Lantern can't comfortably facilitate all those characters--is suggestive of brand dilution caused by poorly planned brand extension. DC extended a brand--and seems to continue doing so--that cannot comfortably facilitate that extension, which raises the likelihood of fans fighting viciously over limited resources.

As for the other points, I could address them, but frankly, I'm not invested in debating with you, so I'll address whatever I feel like at a given time. I guess you can view that as a cop out, but again, I'm not invested enough to care.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    When it comes to legacy characters it seems to me that DC has a strange willingness to throw away characters who have been successes. Wally West is the biggest one considering he was a regular in several hit cartoons, but there are others like Cassandra Cain as well who were very popular among fans and had long-running, successful series. Linda Danvers still has the longest-lasting Supergirl book. I could easily see DC under Didio throwing a character like Miles Morales away and pretending that he never existed in spite of all the success that character has received. Marvel will be just as quick to throw away a legacy character if that character isn't working. They did it with the role of Magik, where Amanda Sefton became the second character to assume that title, only to sporadically appear in a couple of stories that weren't well received. So they dropped her and brought back the original to great success. But if it was DC they would have dropped Amanda after a while even if she was a huge success.
    Almost makes it feel like DC has a short attention span and has to keep changing things up to remain amused.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I've never had a hard time with the idea of a middle aged Batman. Hell, that always made more sense to me than the idea he had five Robins and a ten year old son and was somehow still in his early 30s like DC likes to pretend.
    To me, Bruce first put on the Batman suit at age 24 and is presently somewhere between 40 and 45 years old. For that matter, Clark should be in his late thirties by now, as are Barry, Hal, etc.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    To me, Bruce first put on the Batman suit at age 24 and is presently somewhere between 40 and 45 years old. For that matter, Clark should be in his late thirties by now, as are Barry, Hal, etc.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Personally, I’d see Clark as being the same age as Bruce. So, I think he’d be somewhere in his 40s as well, which would make sense, especially since Clark also now has a pre-adolescent/adolescent son.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    For many years, DC was guided by the masculine hand of Dan Didio, and through his stewardship, DC tampered down on legacy heroes which are frankly cringe. If I want to read a Flash comic, I want to read one about Barry Allen, you know, the original Flash! That's why Didio invented the New 52, to sweep away all that legacy junk and it was glorious, that was...until the counter revolutionaries got a hold of DC once more and enforced their legacy characters upon us!
    Huh.

10chars
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Those kids held a team book.

Three held long running solos.
    I’m confused as to whether you’re agreeing with me or disagreeing with me. This seems like more evidence supporting what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I’m confused as to whether you’re agreeing with me or disagreeing with me. This seems like more evidence supporting what I said.
    I think it's disingenuous to try to put some arbitrary divide between "sidekicks" and "teen heroes" when the former have also been treated as heroes in their own rights and held their own solo stories.

I wasn’t doing that. I actually agree with that statement.

Mighty Member

Yeah, it's kinda crazy how Marvel didn't really used to have legacies back then, but nowadays they've done a fantastic job supporting and embracing them. Meanwhile DC, the ones who iconically are built on legacies, spent the last decade fucking them up. In other word, DC move backward/regression and stop growing forward by promoting young heroes more. Hopefully the new EiC recognises the mistake they were making.