Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Post Marvel Comics did the legacy characters 10x better than DC Comics

Unpopular opinion: I know you all gonna to get mad when I express my opinion. but it is clear that Marvel Comics treat their legacy characters 10x better than DC Comics.
    This inculding the legacy of spider man : Peter Parker and Mile Morales each have their own solo titles. DC comics however refused to give Barry and Wally each have their own solo books. We as fans are so tired to beg them launch a solo for years.

Ms Marvel and Kate Bishop are getting the push not only in the comics , but also in the media and video games.
    Despite Marvel has failed to make the "Champion" series successful, at least they tried again with another relauch by coming up with a better storytelling. DC on the other hand, give up to rebulid the " Titans" series with relaunched them.

The mentor-protege relationship in Marvel Comics like ( Ms marvel/ Captain Marvel), ( Peter/Mile), ( Janet/Nadia), (Clint/Kate), (Richard/Sam) all have a stable relationship even after the conflict or problem have arise, but they eventually reconciled soon ( 5 or 6 months) . DC Comics however have the poor relationship between the mentor and protege. Barry and Wally have fallen out since " Flash Wars" and took (2 years) until it lead us into " Speed Metal" to rekind.

If DC Comics really care the legacy characters, we would not have " Ric Grayson", " Evil Donna", " Killer Wally", " Forgotten Young Justice" or " Broken Supersons " happen.

Marvel even quickly correct the wrong the moment thing going bad , but DC doesn't care and drag the storyline like " Ric" stuff for 2 freaking years.

So yeah, every evidence and proof have made me clear that Marvel Comics have a good relationship with the legacy characters. END OF OPINION.
    Last edited by LAWtoyoto 432; 10-19-2020 at 09:38 PM.

DC for many years was stuck on the idea that legacy characters were too confusing for new audiences. Or, at least that was Didio's excuse (conveniently the Robins and Green Lanterns ignored this). It seems obvious by now Dido had an axe to grind with certain characters and used the excuse of legacies alienating people to get his hatchet jobs done.

Don't really have the hate on Didio did for characters who got the raw end of the deal under his tenure but I honestly find "legacy characters" a bit of an overrated concept honestly; at least when it comes to DC since I don't read Marvel.

y'know, we have an unpopular opinion thread for this kind of thing. honestly it's not that hot of a take either tho, they were both meh with legacy for a while, and they both could do better by their legacy characters; Marvel just isn't as clumsy and can ride the wave of a new character better than DC.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Unpopular opinion: I know you all gonna to get mad when I express my opinion. but it is clear that Marvel Comics treat their legacy characters 10x better than DC Comics.
    This inculding the legacy of spider man : Peter Parker and Mile Morales each have their own solo titles. DC comics however refused to give Barry and Wally each have their own solo books. We as fans are so tired to beg them launch a solo for years.

Ms Marvel and Kate Bishop are getting the push not only in the comics , but also in the media and video games.
    Despite Marvel has failed to make the "Champion" series successful, at least they tried again with another relauch by coming up with a better storytelling. DC on the other hand, give up to rebulid the " Titans" series with relaunched them.

The mentor-protege relationship in Marvel Comics like ( Ms marvel/ Captain Marvel), ( Peter/Mile), ( Janet/Nadia), (Richard/Sam) all have a stable relationship even after the conflict or problem have arise, but they eventually reconciled soon ( 5 or 6 months) . DC Comics however have the poor relationship between the mentor and protege. Barry and Wally have fallen out since " Flash Wars" and took (2 years) until it lead us into " Speed Metal" to rekind.

If DC Comics really care the legacy characters, we would not have " Ric Grayson", " Evil Donna", " Killer Wally", " Forgotten Young Justice" or " Broken Supersons " happen.

Marvel even quickly correct the wrong the moment thing going bad , but DC doesn't care and drag the storyline like " Ric" stuff for 2 freaking years.

So yeah, every evidence and proof have made me clear that Marvel Comics have a good relationship with the legacy characters. END OF OPINION.
    Someone here on this site put it as “DC is better at sidekicks, Marvel is better at teen heroes”.
    I thought it was an interesting observation.
    Going back to the beginning, Marvel’s X-Men was a teen superhero team w.out teen, young, junior etc. in the title. Spidey was a teen, the FF had Johnny Storm. It was a pretty strong foundation of young characters across the board, none of them sidekicks.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think that comparison is really fair.
    You are comparing relativity new Marvel Characters with DC Characters that have been around between 55 and 80 years at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    I do think DC could do a better job of giving characters their own solo books.
    DC's teen heroes do get pushed in outside media, and the Titans brand still sells even if DC themselves don't treat it well.
    The mentor-protege relationship in Marvel Comics like ( Ms marvel/ Captain Marvel), ( Peter/Mile), ( Janet/Nadia), (Richard/Sam) all have a stable relationship even after the conflict or problem have arise, but they eventually reconciled soon ( 5 or 6 months) . DC Comics however have the poor relationship between the mentor and protege. Barry and Wally have fallen out since " Flash Wars" and took (2 years) until it lead us into " Speed Metal" to rekind.
    With DC you are more likely to actually see the mentor and protege dynamic developed and utilized more, instead of just once in a blue moon like at Marvel with some of those pairings you mention. Janet and Nadia has probably gotten the most page time outside of Rich and Sam's short-lived dual series together.
    HydraCap, AI!Tony, Unworthy Thor, shot in the head Bruce Banner, horndong manchild Dr. Strange, killer Hawkeye, etc. Or do those not matter because they're the originals?
    Other than AI!Tony a lot of the stuff I mentioned lasted a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Someone here on this site put it as “DC is better at sidekicks, Marvel is better at teen heroes”.
    I thought it was an interesting observation.
    Going back to the beginning, Marvel’s X-Men was a teen superhero team w.out teen, young, junior etc. in the title. Spidey was a teen, the FF had Johnny Storm. It was a pretty strong foundation of young characters across the board, none of them sidekicks.
    I would agree with that. Most of DC's main teen heroes are sidekicks while most of Marvel's main teen heroes are solo heroes who occasionally have a connection to an adult hero.

Marvel Comics did the legacy characters 10x better than DC Comics
    Ben Reilly, Anya Corazon, Phil Urich, Angela del Toro, Monica Rambeau, Brother Voodoo, Flash Thompson and James Rhodes say hi. Marvel is not without it's own sins when it comes to legacy characters and DC's are only fairly recent.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Ben Reilly, Anya Corazon, Phil Urich, Angela del Toro, Monica Rambeau, Brother Voodoo, Flash Thompson and James Rhodes say hi. Marvel is not without it's own sins when it comes to legacy characters and DC's are only fairly recent.
    In some cases like Monica-they were victims of editorial antics.

Flash, Ben Riley and Rhodey held solo books. Rhodey was only Iron Man for about 30 issues before he got all his solo as War Machine.

Marvel has never done to the level of what was done to Wally, Cassandra, Stephanie and Titans.

None of those folks were edited out of books or listed as toxic by the head of the company.

HydraCap, AI!Tony, Unworthy Thor, shot in the head Bruce Banner, horndong manchild Dr. Strange, killer Hawkeye, etc. Or do those not matter because they're the originals?
    Excluding Bruce Banner-most of those folks were still around while those legacies were running around.

Somebody tried something different with them.

For many years, DC was guided by the masculine hand of Dan Didio, and through his stewardship, DC tampered down on legacy heroes which are frankly cringe. If I want to read a Flash comic, I want to read one about Barry Allen, you know, the original Flash! That's why Didio invented the New 52, to sweep away all that legacy junk and it was glorious, that was...until the counter revolutionaries got a hold of DC once more and enforced their legacy characters upon us!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

^^^Jay Garrick was the original Flash. His legacy was handed off to Barry, and then to Wally.

Jay was the only Flash from 1940 to 1956, when Barry Debuted. Barry was the Flash till 1986 when he died. Wally was the Flash from 1986 till 2010(?) when Barry came back.

These guys are ALL the Flash.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 10-17-2020 at 11:29 AM.

See I disagree because I feel that even if Marvel has been better with newer characters that DC is better with actual legacy or dynasty if you will when it comes to its characters. The only thing that I can look at concerning marvel that comes close to a family of characters is Spider-Man.

When it comes to DC we constantly see stories of, let’s look at the past heroes from WW2 such as the JSA and show how they expire the next generation that being the Justice League, and how the Justice League will inspire/train the Titans and then the Justice League will have kids and while that is going on while the JSA may have gotten old or died they are connected to younger heroes (some related to them) who take on their legacy to carry on being heroes alongside the old guard. Look at how characters like Jay Garrick are still important to the Flash family, or how the newest Dr. Fate (Khalid Nassour) is related and trained by Kent Nelson, how Superman and Batman have children running around.

I can’t say DC has always written them well, but I think it’s a bit more dynamic then marvel (not a knock against Marvel I just don’t think they have a better legacy).
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Excluding Bruce Banner-most of those folks were still around while those legacies were running around.

Somebody tried something different with them.
    Yeah, but a majority of their fans really didn't care for them.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Marvel has never done to the level of what was done to Wally, Cassandra, Stephanie and Titans.
    Ben Reilly and New Warriors fans would disagree. The former had the Clone Conspiracy thing that was comparable to Cass and the latter has been in arguably worse shape than the Titans since Civil War.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    That's why Didio invented the New 52, to sweep away all that legacy junk and it was glorious, that was...until the counter revolutionaries got a hold of DC once more and enforced their legacy characters upon us!
    And thank god he's out the door then!

If I want to read a Flash comic, I want to read one about Barry Allen, you know, the original Flash!