Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I realize this post is from last year, but whenever I see one like this all I hear is "my dad can beat up your dad."
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I realize this post is from last year, but whenever I see one like this all I hear is "my dad can beat up your dad."
    LOL!!!

Peace

I want to know that math that got Marvel to 10x better than DC.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I want to know that math that got Marvel to 10x better than DC.
    There is none to that number because the OP is just a frustrated fan over how certain characters have been done at DC.

Which is understandable. However flawed because in terms of legacies-DC's have at times meant to replace the OG one and at Marvel it's more storyline related.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    They could have brought back old characters without unceremoniously dumping the characters they had spent years building up. As a comparison, check out what Marvel did when they brought back their OG heroes after introducing a bunch of new legacy characters. DC had created a bunch of new, great, popular characters and tried unceremoniously dumping them
    I agree on that statement. Does Marvel throw out Miles, Ghost Spider and Silk for the sake of Peter Parker so that he will be the only one true Spiderman? No.

Does Marvel even get rid of Kamala Khan in order to bring more spotlight for Carol? Also No.

Does Marvel push Clint aside so that Kate will be the only active Hawkeye. No, it didn't happen in the Hawkeye run.

At least Marvel has respect the past and embrace the future without the sake of dumping those young heroes. While DC meanwhile trying to get rid most of them for the sake of privillege and silver age nostagia. It got bummed out. I can't imagine if Didio will run the editor for Marvel Comics. CAN YOU IMAGINE. :0

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    I agree on that statement. Does Marvel throw out Miles, Ghost Spider and Silk for the sake of Peter Parker so that he will be the only one true Spiderman? No.

Does Marvel even get rid of Kamala Khan in order to bring more spotlight for Carol? Also No.

Does Marvel push Clint aside so that Kate will be the only active Hawkeye. No, it didn't happen in the Hawkeye run.

At least Marvel has respect the past and embrace the future without the sake of dumping those young heroes. While DC meanwhile trying to get rid most of them for the sake of privillege and silver age nostagia. It got bummed out. I can't imagine if Didio will run the editor for Marvel Comics. CAN YOU IMAGINE. :0
    Since Marvel hasn't been in the legacy business anywhere near as long as DC, maybe they might dump some of them down the road if they feel they're bogging down the universe. Which is why I posted a long time ago comparing both companies regarding this matter is unfair.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

What's this talk of Marvel not having been in the legacy business for very long? What do we call characters like She-Hulk, Scott Lang, Carol Danvers, Spider-Woman (both Julia and Jessica), Ben Reilly, Bucky Barnes, Franklin and Valeria Richards, etc.? Those are all legacy characters in my book. DC just tended to do the legacy thing MORE than Marvel, but it doesn't mean that Marvel didn't do it.

All of this stems from some wrong-headed idea that certain things make characters seem "old": having kids makes Reed Richards seem old; having a wife makes Spider-Man seem old; having proteges and a kid makes Batman seem old; having a former sidekick who grew into his own makes Barry seem old; etc.

Uh, no. Those things don't make those characters old. They make them like real people who progress and develop through life and take on different responsibilities.

Pretty much this.

Actually, the Marvel Universe began with a legacy character. Johnny Storm, the Human Torch, a member of the Fantastic Four, which started the Marvel Universe with its #1.
    However, I will admit that, along its story, DC made legacy a huge part of it's history, much more than Marvel did.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Actually, the Marvel Universe began with a legacy character. Johnny Storm, the Human Torch, a member of the Fantastic Four, which started the Marvel Universe with its #1.
    However, I will admit that, along its story, DC made legacy a huge part of it's history, much more than Marvel did.

Peace
    Actually, the original Human Torch within the MU was never known as such, so Johnny was the first with that moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Actually, the original Human Torch within the MU was never known as such, so Johnny was the first with that moniker.
    Might be a retcon, but I remember seeing Johnny saying that he took the name in homage to the android crimefighter. Anyway, put it as you will. Johnny Storm IS a legacy character. By the way, retcon or not, it wouldn't be the last time a hrero unwittingly took the name of another. Monica Rambeau also took the moniker Captain Marvel without knowing that there was one before her (though she found out basically in the first issue she appeared).

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 11-30-2021 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    What's this talk of Marvel not having been in the legacy business for very long? What do we call characters like She-Hulk, Scott Lang, Carol Danvers, Spider-Woman (both Julia and Jessica), Ben Reilly, Bucky Barnes, Franklin and Valeria Richards, etc.? Those are all legacy characters in my book. DC just tended to do the legacy thing MORE than Marvel, but it doesn't mean that Marvel didn't do it.
    A true legacy character is one who takes over completely for another due to retirement or death. With that definition, only Carol and Scott truly qualify (though Carol only in the past decade, while Hank only had the Ant-Man codename temporarily in the first place and was still operating as a crimefighter when Scott took over). Ben and Bucky are kind of a cheat because Peter and Steve were only temporality gone.

I feel like they've both proven time and time again that they don't need the concept at all.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    A true legacy character is one who takes over completely for another due to retirement or death. With that definition, only Carol and Scott truly qualify (though Carol only in the past decade, while Hank only had the Ant-Man codename temporarily in the first place and was still operating as a crimefighter when Scott took over). Ben and Bucky are kind of a cheat because Peter and Steve were only temporality gone.
    That’s only one TYPE of legacy character. The concept of a legacy hero encompasses any hero that is inspired or directly influenced by a previous character. Duck Grayson is a legacy character, despite him only taking up the Batman mantle temporarily. Supergirl and Superboy are legacy characters because they are directly influenced and within the orbit of Superman. Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes are legacy characters. Not only was one of them Cap’s sidekick, but they’ve both been Captain America themselves.

You don’t have to permanently take over the mantle in order to be considered a part of a character’s legacy.

And if we’re being honest, Barry Allen is also a legacy character. In the original telling of his origin, he was directly inspired by Jay Garrick and then took on the mantle Flash. He is the second person who use the name “The Flash”

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I feel like they've both proven time and time again that they don't need the concept at all.
    There's a lot of concepts they don't "need". Doesn't mean they aren't good to have around.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    That’s only one TYPE of legacy character. The concept of a legacy hero encompasses any hero that is inspired or directly influenced by a previous character. Duck Grayson is a legacy character, despite him only taking up the Batman mantle temporarily. Supergirl and Superboy are legacy characters because they are directly influenced and within the orbit of Superman. Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes are legacy characters. Not only was one of them Cap’s sidekick, but they’ve both been Captain America themselves.

You don’t have to permanently take over the mantle in order to be considered a part of a character’s legacy.

And if we’re being honest, Barry Allen is also a legacy character. In the original telling of his origin, he was directly inspired by Jay Garrick and then took on the mantle Flash. He is the second person who use the name “The Flash”
    Well, legacy was never broadly defined as such years ago. It was always the passing of the torch from one superhero to the next like Barry did to Wally when the former died. Now under that definition, how many Marvel superheroes were legacies before 2010 (and I don't want to hear about the temporary ones that we all knew were going to be temporary )?