Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Yeah, it's kinda crazy how Marvel didn't really used to have legacies back then, but nowadays they've done a fantastic job supporting and embracing them. Meanwhile DC, the ones who iconically are built on legacies, spent the last decade fucking them up. In other word, DC move backward/regression and stop growing forward by promoting young heroes more. Hopefully the new EiC recognises the mistake they were making.
    But how will Marvel handle legacies when they have them just half as long as DC has had them through quite a few decades? As I posted earlier in this thread, making comparisons between Marvel and DC at the same stage in their legacy formations makes sense, but, IMO, not this.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I didn't read all the pages so I will only answer the OP.
    I think the comparation isn't equal. He is comparing the modern treatement of characters of recent date against characters with a bigger story.

You could ask about what happened with Rick Jones for example, what are they doing with him. Or with Thunderstrike. Or Jack Monroe.
    Also, take into account, several of the legacies charactes has been put as replacement for an original hero and not as proper sidekicks with a relationship with the hero. And in the case of Nova, the replacement was rejected. The only option to make people accept some of these characters is to built a strong relationship with an stablished hero. The DC legacies already have their fans, so DC can keep broken them because people will not abandon them.
    But maybe the OP is right and Marvel, at least right now, is managing their legacies better. However, will they still be doing it ten years later? We will see.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I don't think that comparison is really fair.
    You are comparing relativity new Marvel Characters with DC Characters that have been around between 55 and 80 years at this point.
    Agreed. But it also gets difficult to talk about more than a few characters when both companies leave characters on the shelf for long periods at a time, often never to be seen again.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I think the comparation isn't equal. He is comparing the modern treatement of characters of recent date against characters with a bigger story.

But maybe the OP is right and Marvel, at least right now, is managing their legacies better. However, will they still be doing it ten years later? We will see.
    With the help of mainstream media appearance, these marvel young heroes won't go anywhere.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I didn't read all the pages so I will only answer the OP.

You could ask about what happened with Rick Jones for example, what are they doing with him. Or with Thunderstrike. Or Jack Monroe.
    Also, take into account, several of the legacies charactes has been put as replacement for an original hero and not as proper sidekicks with a relationship with the hero. And in the case of Nova, the replacement was rejected. The only option to make people accept some of these characters is to built a strong relationship with an stablished hero.
    Sam Alexander is still around. The Rich Ryder fanbase ruined the Nova franchise.

Dc more than fans have RUINED so many characters.

Thunderstrike was Thor and still had a solo run under his own name. That is more than some guys at DC got. He is supposed to be dead now anyway.

Miles Morales in 9 years has done MORE than a LOT of characters at DC. a ongoing solo, minis starring him as the lead only, merchandise including another set of toys and non-comic books.

Tim, Conner & Bart had that once. Management took it from them.

The DC legacies already have their fans, so DC can keep broken them because people will not abandon them.
    Sorry folks have walked away from many of them. Because they were fed up with the abuse. That Hal Jordan & TGLC under performed because the other lantern fans were not having it. They were told that was a Hal book by the artist. So they didn't support it, which led to ONLY John Stewart fans being lectured by fans about being a "real" fan.

Yeah real fans.... "We want Ted, Ronnie & Rich" movements really showed Marvel & DC. Excluding Ted where are those guys at? Oh sitting on the bench with the very characters those fans attacked.

Meanwhile John is active. As is Stephanie Brown, Tim, Bart, Conner, Cassie & Cassandra Cain. Because some fanbases learned to not be toxic.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Miles Morales in 9 years has done MORE than a LOT of characters at DC. a ongoing solo, minis starring him as the lead only, merchandise including another set of toys and non-comic books.
    That's because Marvel writers and editors have maintain a good relationship with the Peter Parker and Mile Morales fanbase, therefore the writers have put a lot of efforts in writing some storytelling with Miles a lot. Meanwhile, DC has a strong obession with F***king Batman and SJW Harley Quinn!!!

Tim, Conner & Bart had that once. Management took it from them.
    So do all the Titans fanbase. I fell pity that DC had shown little care for the younger heroes at DC.

Sorry folks have walked away from many of them. Because they were fed up with the abuse. That Hal Jordan & TGLC under performed because the other lantern fans were not having it. They were told that was a Hal book by the artist. So they didn't support it, which led to ONLY John Stewart fans being lectured by fans about being a "real" fan.
    See this is the problem with the editors and artist who work in the DC comics, they alway pissed the fan so much that they have been alienated and the only way to convience them to buy these books is by telling them the actual story.

Except for the fact that the fans who were actually reading the book kept telling the fans of the other Lanterns that it was, in fact, more than just a Hal book and the other Earth Lanterns were well represented. If any fan kept away from the book after that or at least didn't try to see how well the Lantern they like is represented then that is their fault. No fan was lectured about being a "real" fan. Some John fans were told that the book is more than just a Hal book and they stubbornly refused to believe it.

Mighty Member

With the Future State: Teen Titans has release the preview. I am pretty sure those proofs have enough evidence to show that DC really hate those Legacy Heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    With the Future State: Teen Titans has release the preview. I am pretty sure those proofs have enough evidence to show that DC really hate those Legacy Heroes.
    We have a new Wonder Girl book coming out, Jon is Superman in the future and Jo Mullien has been seen in Future State. The Teen Titans preview is less about hatred of legacies (far too often, fans apply malice to the reason for a decision when it is more likely apathy) and DC not knowing what to do with the Titans other than killing them off. And most of the Titans that have died aren't legacies in the first place.

I just think DC really needs to give every character a 3-5 issue miniseries. Just so that they all at least have their own self-contained corner of the universe even if it includes other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I just think DC really needs to give every character a 3-5 issue miniseries. Just so that they all at least have their own self-contained corner of the universe even if it includes other characters.

Would be nice to flesh out every character, so everyone knew exactly what's what about a character, us and the creators, but it won't happen, money is not growing on trees behind the DC comics offices, even with WB backing them

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Would be nice to flesh out every character, so everyone knew exactly what's what about a character, us and the creators, but it won't happen, money is not growing on trees behind the DC comics offices, even with WB backing them
    Yet they had money for the Snyder Cut.

Rather have the 3-5 issues minis.

With that said-there is a way you can flesh out everyone cheaply.

Hire ONE writer. His or her job is to flesh out certain characters.

Use STOCK photos if you have them and a single artist for those who don't.

In other words do what was done with 80s GI JOE-Larry Hama wrote all those bios for every figure.

Nothing is wrong with an online wiki that has SOMETHING on as many folks as you can write. So your writer will have some foundation to start from.

Yet they had money for the Snyder Cut.

Rather have the 3-5 issues minis.

With that said-there is a way you can flesh out everyone cheaply.

Hire ONE writer. His or her job is to flesh out certain characters.

Use STOCK photos if you have them and a single artist for those who don't.

In other words do what was done with 80s GI JOE-Larry Hama wrote all those bios for every figure.

Nothing is wrong with an online wiki that has SOMETHING on as many folks as you can write. So your writer will have some foundation to start from.

Even though synder is controversial, that show on HBO max will make them more $ than probably all yhr DC comics for the next year(course I'm guessing).

I love the big DK books with all the bios in them, that reminds me I don't know which was the last one? And I hope they make another soon

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    But how will Marvel handle legacies when they have them just half as long as DC has had them through quite a few decades? As I posted earlier in this thread, making comparisons between Marvel and DC at the same stage in their legacy formations makes sense, but, IMO, not this.
    That was my first impression too. DC has always been about promoting legacy. Marvel is just starting... and not really doing very well at all. maybe it's the internet age.. but DC got away with legacies without near the controversy that Marvel deals with now. Tim Drake, Wally West, Bart Allen, They were LOOOONG running legacies. They lasted decades. Even Kyle Rayner who started one of the biggest fan outcries of the time STILL was the only GL for TEN YEARS!!! Compare that to Jane Foster or Falcon/Bucky-Cap... Jane was Thor 4 years and created a huge divide in Marvel fan culture before they gave the hammer back..

Really there isn't any comparison to the legacy history between the two companies. Marvel is trying to play catch-up now... and DC is trying to go back to the iconics... but for the most part... DC wins hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    money is not growing on trees behind the DC comics offices, even with WB backing them
    If 3-5 is too many, give them a one-shot.