Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Post Marvel Comics did the legacy characters 10x better than DC Comics

Unpopular opinion: I know you all gonna to get mad when I express my opinion. but it is clear that Marvel Comics treat their legacy characters 10x better than DC Comics.
    This inculding the legacy of spider man : Peter Parker and Mile Morales each have their own solo titles. DC comics however refused to give Barry and Wally each have their own solo books. We as fans are so tired to beg them launch a solo for years.

Ms Marvel and Kate Bishop are getting the push not only in the comics , but also in the media and video games.
    Despite Marvel has failed to make the "Champion" series successful, at least they tried again with another relauch by coming up with a better storytelling. DC on the other hand, give up to rebulid the " Titans" series with relaunched them.

The mentor-protege relationship in Marvel Comics like ( Ms marvel/ Captain Marvel), ( Peter/Mile), ( Janet/Nadia), (Clint/Kate), (Richard/Sam) all have a stable relationship even after the conflict or problem have arise, but they eventually reconciled soon ( 5 or 6 months) . DC Comics however have the poor relationship between the mentor and protege. Barry and Wally have fallen out since " Flash Wars" and took (2 years) until it lead us into " Speed Metal" to rekind.

If DC Comics really care the legacy characters, we would not have " Ric Grayson", " Evil Donna", " Killer Wally", " Forgotten Young Justice" or " Broken Supersons " happen.

Marvel even quickly correct the wrong the moment thing going bad , but DC doesn't care and drag the storyline like " Ric" stuff for 2 freaking years.

So yeah, every evidence and proof have made me clear that Marvel Comics have a good relationship with the legacy characters. END OF OPINION.
    Last edited by LAWtoyoto 432; 10-19-2020 at 09:38 PM.

DC for many years was stuck on the idea that legacy characters were too confusing for new audiences. Or, at least that was Didio's excuse (conveniently the Robins and Green Lanterns ignored this). It seems obvious by now Dido had an axe to grind with certain characters and used the excuse of legacies alienating people to get his hatchet jobs done.

Don't really have the hate on Didio did for characters who got the raw end of the deal under his tenure but I honestly find "legacy characters" a bit of an overrated concept honestly; at least when it comes to DC since I don't read Marvel.

y'know, we have an unpopular opinion thread for this kind of thing. honestly it's not that hot of a take either tho, they were both meh with legacy for a while, and they both could do better by their legacy characters; Marvel just isn't as clumsy and can ride the wave of a new character better than DC.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace
    they were both meh with legacy for a while
    I’d say they still are.

Mighty Member

There is a reason why I don't feel stress and anxious when I read Kate Bishop, Mile or Ms Marvel solo books because Marvel has a good track record in handling the legacy heroes better than DC Comics where Nightwing and Titans alway get short end and have the poor writing in styles and even wander why most of the titans were dead in the "HIC". At least for Marvel fans, they are graceful to have their legacy heroes isn't use as a cannon folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I honestly find "legacy characters" a bit of an overrated concept honestly; at least when it comes to DC since I don't read Marvel.
    I would say they are underrated, but even that gives them too much credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    DC for many years was stuck on the idea that legacy characters were too confusing for new audiences. Or, at least that was Didio's excuse (conveniently the Robins and Green Lanterns ignored this). It seems obvious by now Dido had an axe to grind with certain characters and used the excuse of legacies alienating people to get his hatchet jobs done.
    This seem similar to the "belief". (If anyone at DC really believed it) that parallel Earths confused readers. We're still suffering from that.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    (conveniently the Robins and Green Lanterns ignored this)
    They’re not entirely legacies though. The Robins are easily distinguishable and most, if not, all of the GLs are distinguishable too with their own unique names and, in a way, powersets.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    They’re not entirely legacies though. The Robins are easily distinguishable and most, if not, all of the GLs are distinguishable too with their own unique names and, in a way, powersets.
    But is a legacy character no longer a legacy character because they happen to be distinguishable? They’re still a part of the larger legacy. Tim Drake and Damian Wayne may be entirely different characters in terms of personality, but they were both still Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    But is a legacy character no longer a legacy character because they happen to be distinguishable?
    Pretty much, yeah. The reason legacy characters aren't that great is because they are too attached to the character and "mantle". Once they strike it out on their own they become a character in their own right and no longer need that crutch.

While I don’t think streaming and tv has gotten to the highest end of the big Blockbuster films quite yet, the gap is closing. And now with COVID, that gap is probably only going to get smaller.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The three established actors you named are neither fading movie or TV stars, though, while the other one is, as you stated, an up-and-comer. Therefore, I stand by my statement.
    Are you claiming that Mark Ruffalo and Chris Evans are fading movie stars? Or are you claiming that they never reached full-fledged movie stardom? In either case, I don’t think it would be the most convincing argument to make given that they just came off of multi-billion dollar film franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Pretty much, yeah. The reason legacy characters aren't that great is because they are too attached to the character and "mantle". Once they strike it out on their own they become a character in their own right and no longer need that crutch.
    I don’t know if I believe that. Wally West is arguably the most well-developed Flash in terms of character and personality. And he came into his own as a complete legacy character. In fact, it’s part of his appeal and what made the book compelling under Waid.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 10-19-2020 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Unpopular opinion: I know you all gonna to get mad when I express my opinion. but it is clear that Marvel Comics treat their legacy characters 10x better than DC Comics.
    This inculding the legacy of spider man : Peter Parker and Mile Morales each have their own solo titles. DC comics however refused to give Barry and Wally each have their own solo books. We as fans are so tired to beg them launch a solo for years.

Ms Marvel and Kate Bishop are getting the push not only in the comics , but also in the media and video games.
    Despite Marvel has failed to make the "Champion" series successful, at least they tried again with another relauch by coming up with a better storytelling. DC on the other hand, give up to rebulid the " Titans" series with relaunched them.

The mentor-protege relationship in Marvel Comics like ( Ms marvel/ Captain Marvel), ( Peter/Mile), ( Janet/Nadia), (Richard/Sam) all have a stable relationship even after the conflict or problem have arise, but they eventually reconciled soon ( 5 or 6 months) . DC Comics however have the poor relationship between the mentor and protege. Barry and Wally have fallen out since " Flash Wars" and took (2 years) until it lead us into " Speed Metal" to rekind.

If DC Comics really care the legacy characters, we would not have " Ric Grayson", " Evil Donna", " Killer Wally", " Forgotten Young Justice" or " Broken Supersons " happen.

Marvel even quickly correct the wrong the moment thing going bad , but DC doesn't care and drag the storyline like " Ric" stuff for 2 freaking years.

So yeah, every evidence and proof have made me clear that Marvel Comics have a good relationship with the legacy characters. END OF OPINION.
    Someone here on this site put it as “DC is better at sidekicks, Marvel is better at teen heroes”.
    I thought it was an interesting observation.
    Going back to the beginning, Marvel’s X-Men was a teen superhero team w.out teen, young, junior etc. in the title. Spidey was a teen, the FF had Johnny Storm. It was a pretty strong foundation of young characters across the board, none of them sidekicks.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think that comparison is really fair.
    You are comparing relativity new Marvel Characters with DC Characters that have been around between 55 and 80 years at this point.