Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Shouldn't we be comparing Marvel to DC for the same beginning years (since Marvel is fairly new to the concept, while DC has been doing since at least the '60s*)?

* No, Barry and Hal weren't legacy characters.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

The notion that Didio was correct in wiping out the legacy characters is ridiculous when you consider that even after the New 52, there were legacy heroes. All four male Robins were allowed to remain in continuity, as were all the Earth GLs. And remember, 5G was his baby.

As with most of his character edicts, the ones who were erased were ones that Didio himself professed to personally dislike such as Wally West and Cassandra Cain, which was arguably the problem with his entire tenure at DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The notion that Didio was correct in wiping out the legacy characters is ridiculous when you consider that even after the New 52, there were legacy heroes. All four male Robins were allowed to remain in continuity, as were all the Earth GLs. And remember, 5G was his baby.

As with most of his character edicts, the ones who were erased were ones that Didio himself professed to personally dislike such as Wally West and Cassandra Cain, which was arguably the problem with his entire tenure at DC.
    Yeah, it's kind of funny that the Robins were left relatively intact while the Batgirls weren't (and when I say funny, I don't mean it in a good way).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post

Exactly this.

The Didio situation is what happens when a biased “fanboy” takes over running a comic company.

He literally closed his eyes to any sort of progress or success characters like Wally West or Cassandra Cain had just to fulfill his personal desires. If guys like Didio were around in the 50s, comics would never have left the Golden Age...just for reasons.

In Didio's defense, the only characters he came out and professed to have a personal issue with were Nightwing and Wally. And he still kept Nightwing around. Though threw him to the wolves.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-17-2020 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Unpopular opinion: I know you all gonna to get mad when I express my opinion. but it is clear that Marvel Comics treat their legacy characters 10x better than DC Comics.
    This inculding the legacy of spider man : Peter Parker and Mile Morales each have their own solo titles. DC comics however refused to give Barry and Wally each have their own solo books. We as fans are so tired to beg them launch a solo for years.

Ms Marvel and Kate Bishop are getting the push not only in the comics , but also in the media and video games.
    Despite Marvel has failed to make the "Champion" series successful, at least they tried again with another relauch by coming up with a better storytelling. DC on the other hand, give up to rebulid the " Titans" series with relaunched them.

The mentor-protege relationship in Marvel Comics like ( Ms marvel/ Captain Marvel), ( Peter/Mile), ( Janet/Nadia), (Richard/Sam) all have a stable relationship even after the conflict or problem have arise, but they eventually reconciled soon ( 5 or 6 months) . DC Comics however have the poor relationship between the mentor and protege. Barry and Wally have fallen out since " Flash Wars" and took (2 years) until it lead us into " Speed Metal" to rekind.

If DC Comics really care the legacy characters, we would not have " Ric Grayson", " Evil Donna", " Killer Wally", " Forgotten Young Justice" or " Broken Supersons " happen.

Marvel even quickly correct the wrong the moment thing going bad , but DC doesn't care and drag the storyline like " Ric" stuff for 2 freaking years.

So yeah, every evidence and proof have made me clear that Marvel Comics have a good relationship with the legacy characters. END OF OPINION.
    Tell that to all young generations of X-men not named New Mutants or basically every teen Avengers book. Marvel creates waves and waves of new teen heroes that sent straight to limbo once their creator leaves the books.
    Happened to the New X-men, The Initiative, Avengers Academy and so on.

Comics are a pittance, Lets go to the real Video Tape, aka what's the most telling- the Explosive Monumental Film franchise. What the block-buster movies wrought and built off, the best the Marvel franchise have to offer and put forward for the world to know them!
    Who their most GO TO characters, for success were, when building and representing their definitive Universe.
    Leading to AVENGERS the Greatest Super Hero Team Multi-Film Shared Universe Franchise ever on Film.

Was it the Non Legacy classics, or derivative Legacy.?
    Lets see how they built the foundation of their MODERN Universe. Count down with me....

2008 Iron Man - Tony Stark (Non Legacy

2008 - Incredible Hulk - Bruce Banner (Non Legacy

2011 Thor- Odin's son (Non Legacy

2011 - Captain America: The First Avenger - Steve Rogers (Non Legacy

2012 The Avengers (Non Legacy ..... and continued adding

Black Widow - Natasha Romanoff (Non Legacy (arguably you want to argue the other was the more recognizable, you'll fail!

Hawkeye - Clint Barton (Non Legacy

Bucky Barnes (Non Legacy

Falcon - Sam Wilson (Non Legacy

James Rhodes as War Machine (Implicitly as his own Identity ...Non Legacy)

Quicksilver - Pietro Maximoff (Non Legacy

Scarlet Witch - Wanda Maximoff (Non Legacy

Black Panther - T'Challa (Non Legacy

Doctor Strange -Stephen Strange (Non Legacy

Spider-Man: Homecoming (After the third reboot all using Peter Parker (Non Legacy

Star-Lord Peter Quill (Non Legacy

WOW......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's like 16 lead characters and abt 10 booming franchises built on Non - Legacy characters.

Left are;

Ant-Man used Scott Lang but hinged on the presence Hank Pym developing and passing the mantle, and Hope van Dyne inheriting from Janet van Dyne who the next movie was about retrieving. (both Non Legacy & Legacy

Captain Marvel - Carol Danvers (Legacy

Nick Fury (Legacy

So arguably three out of 18.
    So after some 80 years in publication who does Marvel by far chose to represent and build their MODERN cinematic universe on.... ? Classics

Meanwhile at DC/WB and the DC forums, saturated on legacy, crying about who is chosen every step of the way, complaining with every character choice, we have no idea how to build our universe or who our lead characters are....
    Except for certain money makers:

Batman - Bruce Wayne (Non Legacy
    Superman - Kal-El/Clark Kent (Non Legacy
    Wonder Woman - Diana (Non Legacy

Delusional DC Fandom conclusion; Marvel is successfully built on Legacy so it's what DC should copy

LOL!

Can we next link to the thread where these same DC fans want to "fix" Batman (DCs (and maybe comics) most sucefull charcter) by replacing him with a Legacy
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-18-2020 at 05:24 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Well, most of DC's most popular characters are legacy characters. There's no denying that. DC wouldn't be DC without them. On top of that, the MCU actually has a lot of big plans for Marvel legacies coming down the pike. Three of the five upcoming Marvel Disney+ series that everyone is excited for all focus on legacy characters.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 10-17-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Comics are a pittance, Lets go to the real Video Tape, aka what's the most telling- the Explosive Monumental Film franchise. What the block-buster movies wrought and built off, the best the Marvel franchise have to offer and put forward for the world to know them!
    Who their most GO TO characters, for success were, when building and representing their definitive Universe.
    Leading to AVENGERS the Greatest Super Hero Team Multi-Film Shared Universe Franchise ever on Film.

Was it the Non Legacy classics, or derivative Legacy.?
    Lets see how they built the foundation of their MODERN Universe. Count down with me....

2008 Iron Man - Tony Stark (Non Legacy

2008 - Incredible Hulk - Bruce Banner (Non Legacy

2011 Thor- Odin's son (Non Legacy

2011 - Captain America: The First Avenger - Steve Rogers (Non Legacy

2012 The Avengers (Non Legacy ..... and continued adding

Black Widow - Natasha Romanoff (Non Legacy (arguably you want to argue the other was the more recognizable, you'll fail!

Hawkeye - Clint Barton (Non Legacy

Bucky Barnes (Non Legacy

Falcon - Sam Wilson (Non Legacy

James Rhodes as War Machine (Implicitly as his own Identity ...Non Legacy)

Quicksilver - Pietro Maximoff (Non Legacy

Scarlet Witch - Wanda Maximoff (Non Legacy

Black Panther - T'Challa (Non Legacy

Doctor Strange -Stephen Strange (Non Legacy

Spider-Man: Homecoming (After the third reboot all using Peter Parker (Non Legacy

Star-Lord Peter Quill (Non Legacy

WOW......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's like 16 lead characters and abt 10 booming franchises built on Non - Legacy characters.

Left are;

Ant-Man used Scott Lang but hinged on the presence Hank Pym developing and passing the mantle, and Hope van Dyne inheriting from Janet van Dyne who the next movie was about retrieving. (both Non Legacy & Legacy

Captain Marvel - Carol Danvers (Legacy

Nick Fury (Legacy

So arguably three out of 15.
    So after some 80 years in publication who does Marvel by far chose to represent and build their MODERN cinematic universe on.... ? Classics

Meanwhile at DC/WB and the DC forums, crying about who is chosen every step of the way, complaining with every character choice, we have no idea how to build our universe or who our lead characters are....
    Except for certain money makers:

Batman - Bruce Wayne (Non Legacy
    Superman - Kal-El/Clark Kent (Non Legacy
    Wonder Woman - Diana (Non Legacy

Delusional DC Fandom conclusion; Marvel is successfully built on Legacy so it's what DC should copy

LOL!

Can we next link to thread where these same DC fans want to "fix" Batman (DCs (and maybe comics) most sucefull charcter) by replacing him with a Legacy
    I will say that it is telling that the upcoming MCU legacy characters we are getting are being relegated to Streaming.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
    I will say that it is telling that the upcoming MCU legacy characters we are getting are being relegated to Streaming.
    I mean, streaming is pretty much the future of entertainment. And there's little difference nowadays between film and television in Hollywood.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, it's kind of funny that the Robins were left relatively intact while the Batgirls weren't (and when I say funny, I don't mean it in a good way).
    If they had to do a reboot at all, they should have bit the bullet and made Dick Robin again to go along with Barbara as Batgirl. It's only fair.

I think people would have been less pissed without the blatant and sexist double standard. I say this as someone who prefers Babs as Batgirl and a smaller Bat fam in general, but it's really bad to have all the Robins around while Cass and Steph were banished.

The amount of people pissed about the double standard would have been nothing compared to the amount of people pissed over the loss of Nightwing, Red Hood, Tim Drake, and Damian. They didn't keep the Robins cause they were boys and the Batgirls were girls. They kept the Robin because it gave them 4 books to sell. Cass and Steph weren't in that position.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Tell that to all young generations of X-men not named New Mutants or basically every teen Avengers book. Marvel creates waves and waves of new teen heroes that sent straight to limbo once their creator leaves the books.
    Happened to the New X-men, The Initiative, Avengers Academy and so on.
    Except the topic I am refering are those teen heroes who shared the same mantle from the predessor, not some independent teen heroes like in a team or initiative.

They were also going to focus on Batgirl recovering from the Killing Joke which implies enough of a time lapse to where Dick probably would be expected to be Nightwing and they'd keep Jason's death too.

Mighty Member

I guess it all boils down to how you define legacy characters.

For me, the Legacy characters were always the original sidekicks in the Teen Titans, Dick, Wally, Roy, Donna, Garth, and unless you plan to replace the original hero or transform them into an original hero there is not much you can do with them.

Nightwing has been quite successful, and Wally was successful until they brought back Barry.

In a twist, I always liked Roy better as Red Arrow, than as Arsenal, and I would love him to have his own comic, but I'm probably in the minority. I'm not sure how you get Donna and Garth out of the shadow of Wonder Woman and Aquaman.