Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    If 3-5 is too many, give them a one-shot.

I'm with ya

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    That was my first impression too. DC has always been about promoting legacy. Marvel is just starting... and not really doing very well at all. maybe it's the internet age.. but DC got away with legacies without near the controversy that Marvel deals with now. Tim Drake, Wally West, Bart Allen, They were LOOOONG running legacies. They lasted decades. Even Kyle Rayner who started one of the biggest fan outcries of the time STILL was the only GL for TEN YEARS!!! Compare that to Jane Foster or Falcon/Bucky-Cap... Jane was Thor 4 years and created a huge divide in Marvel fan culture before they gave the hammer back..

Really there isn't any comparison to the legacy history between the two companies. Marvel is trying to play catch-up now... and DC is trying to go back to the iconics... but for the most part... DC wins hands down.
    DC's biggest legacies were done before the prevalence of social media. The outrage isn't bigger, it's just more visible because there are more platforms to express it.

I don't think I consider War Machine a legacy character.

Mighty Member

Seam McKeever unloaded a TON of Titan pipebombs on Twitter.

He tried to save Wendy, Face and Fever from death but over ruled by editorial (not his actual editors)

Yelled at for not making Static "street enough" (despite McDuffie's input) and almost ruining the Milestone deal.

Infinity Inc kids were dumped into Terror Titans despite none of them being in it.

Face's death was written by someone else along with other stuff

Happy Wonder Girl is a boring Wonder Girl.

The person he replaced on the book was NEVER told.

The final version of Death Trap was not the version he nor the other writer submitted.

Told to kill Kid Devil

In conclusion, DC Comics is clearly " Anti-Millennials " run by the " Bommer" Editors.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Seam McKeever unloaded a TON of Titan pipebombs on Twitter.

He tried to save Wendy, Face and Fever from death but over ruled by editorial (not his actual editors)

Yelled at for not making Static "street enough" (despite McDuffie's input) and almost ruining the Milestone deal.

Infinity Inc kids were dumped into Terror Titans despite none of them being in it.

Face's death was written by someone else along with other stuff

Happy Wonder Girl is a boring Wonder Girl.

The person he replaced on the book was NEVER told.

The final version of Death Trap was not the version he nor the other writer submitted.

Told to kill Kid Devil

In conclusion, DC Comics is clearly " Anti-Millennials " run by the " Bommer" Editors.

AND THANK GOD... if anything they need to skip the millennials and go straight to GenZ that the target audience now more than anyone else or it should be.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    That was my first impression too. DC has always been about promoting legacy. Marvel is just starting... and not really doing very well at all. maybe it's the internet age.. but DC got away with legacies without near the controversy that Marvel deals with now. Tim Drake, Wally West, Bart Allen, They were LOOOONG running legacies. They lasted decades. Even Kyle Rayner who started one of the biggest fan outcries of the time STILL was the only GL for TEN YEARS!!! Compare that to Jane Foster or Falcon/Bucky-Cap... Jane was Thor 4 years and created a huge divide in Marvel fan culture before they gave the hammer back..

Really there isn't any comparison to the legacy history between the two companies. Marvel is trying to play catch-up now... and DC is trying to go back to the iconics... but for the most part... DC wins hands down.
    The longest running legacy character at Marvel, albeit not considered one now, is Carol Danvers.

While DC was busy spitting on their legacy heroes, Marvel managed to make in roads to the YA market through Young Avengers and Runaways, they are doing Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur comic book and animated show, they've put Mile Morales in a critically acclaimed movie and video game, Ant-Man did the 'passing of the mantle' thing in his movie, they are seeding Young Avengers in their Disney+ shows and movies and they've announced that Carol will team up with Monica and Kamala meanwhile WW is busy pining over Steeeeeve, a perfectly cast Donna Troy is being wasted on a terrible show and the rest of the WW family is nowhere to be seen so far. When was the last time Connor Hawke was seen? The only show that's really focusing on legacy right now is Young Justice but the cast is so bloated now and even they've made questionable choices like killing off Wall West.

By the time DC gets their together, they will be accused of ripping off Marvel. Sure, we can wave our copies of Wally West's 23 year long tenure as the Flash but Marvel has marketed and adapted the hell out of their legacy heroes and is ahead of DC as of now.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

While DC was busy spitting on their legacy heroes, Marvel managed to make in roads to the YA market through Young Avengers and Runaways.
    No word about Avengers Academy, Strange Academy or Champions ?

Ultimate Member

Champions is still going.

Not sure about Strange Academy.

AA was RUINED by Avengers Arena.

Extraordinary Member

Strange Academy and Champions are still ongoing.

For Avengers Academy: Reptil is getting a miniseries (One of the few non-legacy heroes to get one.)
    Hazmat is a supporting character in Captain Marvel.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Strange Academy and Champions are still ongoing.

For Avengers Academy: Reptil is getting a miniseries (One of the few non-legacy heroes to get one.)
    Hazmat is a supporting character in Captain Marvel.
    My meaning is that did Marvel marketing those titles well in the direct/YA market ?
    Last edited by LAWtoyoto 432; 02-25-2021 at 08:22 AM.

Ultimate Member

My meaning is that did Marvel marketing those titles well in the direct/YA market ?
    Okay the thing is with books like those-they REALLY don't need marketing as much.

Copies of those books are going to get ordered by libraries and some schools.

And some stores will stock them more than say most of the Rebirth books. From what I have seen in most stores.

On Amazon right now this is the top selling teen book

Nubia: Real One
    #1 in Young Adult Coming of Age Comics & Graphic Novels
    #6 in DC Comics & Graphic Novels
    #11 in Teen & Young Adult Superhero Comics

Like Jason Reynold's Miles Morales book from 2017-nobody marketed it that I saw aside from one magazine that my school gets and the poster for it that I got from Ebay.
    His book was number one in less than a day of its release.

The reason why DC has gone after YA writers (much to the hate of certain fans) is folks know who they are. They have built in fanbases.

Also on that list at 4 is Beast Boy's OGN. Which has been a top 20 book the MOMENT it was open to PRE-ORDERS.

Teen Titans: Beast Boy Loves Raven Paperback comes out in 7 MONTHS and is ranked number 7.

And in some novels a lot of these books are being NAMED dropped.

I am reading one that has mention Ironheart, Shuri and New Superman. Batman was mentioned in a NEGATIVE way as in not interested in reading his book.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The longest running legacy character at Marvel, albeit not considered one now, is Carol Danvers.
    No it isn't. It's Johnny Storm. He wasn't the first Human Torch!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    No it isn't. It's Johnny Storm. He wasn't the first Human Torch!
    Not really, since the GA Hunan Torch wasn't supposed to have been known to the public during the Marvel era.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    DC's biggest legacies were done before the prevalence of social media. The outrage isn't bigger, it's just more visible because there are more platforms to express it.
    True.
    Before, a person would write a letter, and it may even get published.
    But it would be published alongside many other letters that were not outraged so it could be seen in context.
    Unless everyone was outraged... then a change would happen.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    True.
    Before, a person would write a letter, and it may even get published.
    But it would be published alongside many other letters that were not outraged so it could be seen in context.
    Unless everyone was outraged... then a change would happen.
    Think how COIE would have been handled through social media had they had it back then. I don't believe it would have been pretty.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?