Default Marvel's HELSTROM on Hulu

Season 1 just premiered on October 16 with ten episodes.

Has anyone had a chance to watch some or all of it yet? What's the verdict?

I've only watched the first two episodes so far and I honestly found them really slow and boring - not just the pacing of the story, because things do happen, but the tone and pacing of the scenes almost put me to sleep. There are elements of Constantine, Prodigal Son and Evil, which aren't bad things but so far there's nothing really new and/or interesting in what's happening so far. I'll certainly keep watching but the beginning doesn't give me the highest hopes. It's good this wasn't released one at a time. We'll see when things start to pick up.

Finished it. This was terrible from start to finish. The only solace I'll have is that it won't be referenced in anything and fall into obscurity.

Astonishing Member

Are they anything like the characters in the comic books?

I will check this out. I want to watch. I want it to continue. I can see this as an update of the old Friday the 13th television series, which I thought was great.

I watched the first episode this morning and I'm 15 mins into episode 2 ATM. Speaking as a fanboy of Hellstrom in the comics I have loved what I've seen this far. It is however aimed at a very niche market (of which I'm obviously a part as I love this type of show).

now that Supernatural is ending I hope that its fans give this show a chance.

I appreciate the discussions on faith and morality and family trauma.

I just hope that some fans don't start bashing the show because it's not Daimon with a cape, shirtless, and the trident running around.

I'm not eager for Patsy to show up yet, if at all. I'd be glad for obscure characters to show up and be updated. Not hung up on Ghost Rider and whoever else from the Midnight Sons might be halfway expected to show up.

I wonder how Devil Slayer could be updated...
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 10-26-2020 at 06:08 PM.

Devil Slayer MAX was a good update to the character. Came out in 2008? 09?

It was part of that Dead of Night MAX reimaging that including Man-Thing, Werewolf by Night, and I think Devil-Slayer was the last one. I rather enjoyed them all.

I'd check it out.

https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Night-De.../dp/0785132813
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 10-26-2020 at 07:49 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I finally finished Season 1. I took awhile to even remember to watch the last two eps. I guess my final summation would be "It's meh." There are some good parts, Damon and his sister and their relationship are the highlight but the pacing can be torturous and the dialogue is ... mundane. It just kept occurring to me that the lines as written were just the most basic exposition or simple emotions, expressed in the most basic of ways, lacking nuance, cleverness or character a lot of the times. Just the most simple, uninteresting words to convey what a character needed to say in any given scene. It just drags down the scenes and fail to impart the interactions with drama or give the characters anything that feels like a genuine interaction. Again, there are exceptions but when I'm taken out of a scene by the banality of the dialogue, it's a problem. (it's somehow easier to go along with writing that's over the top than boring)

The plot itself was fine, but there are some parts where people acted out of character or in ways that didn't make sense just because the plot needed it to happen. Nothing special there. Also, it's just me, but I'm tired of the "supernatural and freaky accelerated pregnancies foisted upon a main female character" trope. Just, ugh. No thanks.

The thing this most reminded me of, was "Prodigal Son", where a family is trying to get over the trauma of the father being a serial killer. In that, they each (especially the son) grapple with their inner demons and their own fractured relationships (brother, sister, mother and father) caused by the father. It's much more effective there.