BANNED

Default Has Dr. Fate Ever Been Associated With Any Cultures Besides Egypt?

Like Japan, China, Aztec, African Tribe, etc. as the basis for his powers?

A lot of Golden Age characters have links to Egypt already because Egypt was big in the 20s, 30s, and early 40s, especially pulp stories...

Would be cool to see a Native American version (North or South America).

I see what you mean. But Egypt has nothing to do with his powers (apart from the Ank symbol).
    In his helmet resides the power of Nabu, a Lord of Order, born and ascended to a higher plane of existance billions of years ago.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the COMET View Post
    I see what you mean. But Egypt has nothing to do with his powers (apart from the Ank symbol).
    In his helmet resides the power of Nabu, a Lord of Order, born and ascended to a higher plane of existance billions of years ago.

It's hard to separate Dr Fate from Eygpt because Ancient Eygptian Mythology was used as inspiration for his lore.

Nabu while Mesopotamian was also worshipped in Ancient Eygpt. Fate's symbol, the Ankh, is an ancient Egyptian symbol of life. Kent Nelson's origin is linked to archeology in Eygpt.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Incredible Member

nabu was serving as an advisor to the pharoah in egypt when moses freed the hebrew slaves. nabu is always tied to egypt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Like Japan, China, Aztec, African Tribe, etc. as the basis for his powers?

A lot of Golden Age characters have links to Egypt already because Egypt was big in the 20s, 30s, and early 40s, especially pulp stories...

Would be cool to see a Native American version (North or South America).
    I'd rather see different characters take on those sorts of roles. Dr. Mist/Nommo for old-time African magic. Manitou Dawn as the 'Native American Dr. Fate.' Rather than attempt to shoehorn all the world's magic under one umbrella and sort of white out any cultural or historical or mythical ties.

OTOH, it is interesting to see where some magical / mythical concepts seem kind of universal. Ghosts, demons, dragons, existing across dozens of wildly different cultures. Even such a strangely specific example as some mystical substance that can be woven into pseudo-real/pseudo-illusory matter, such as a kitsune's 'fox fire' or a djinn's 'smokeless fire' or a faeries 'glamor.' It could be amusing to see three different people, from wildly different cultures, with essentially the exact same power, and completely incompatible explanations for that power. "I got it from a genie!" "My mother was a fox-spirit!" "I was a changeling child!"

Incredible Member

dr fate is not the spectre force , the helmet of fate is just a mystical item. the spectre force is a spirit of vengeance and has many hosts from different cultures.

Last edited by marshal88; 10-18-2020 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I'd rather see different characters take on those sorts of roles. Dr. Mist/Nommo for old-time African magic. Manitou Dawn as the 'Native American Dr. Fate.' Rather than attempt to shoehorn all the world's magic under one umbrella and sort of white out any cultural or historical or mythical ties.
    This is one of those ideas that could go really great or really bad depending on how it is handled.