Amazing Member

Default How to stop feeling insecure/self conscious about liking comics

So as seen in my threads, I've been kind of insecure about liking cape comics as I'm starting to get the feel too much/most of the fandom is full of obnoxious manchildren and its like mlp's brony fandom. I like anime but more comfortable with that cuz we have many mainstream folks or normal/progressive people liking it such as michale b jordan, john boyega, rdcworld, cilvanis, caleb city and I don't see the same for comic fans, which makes me self conscious and most of my friends like anime and normal people I chat to as well. I once went to my uni comic club and like 4 folks there seemed to fit the stereotype of comic fans/ So based on this, how can I handle these feelings and stop being self conscious.

Who cares? Just enjoy what brings you joy in life.

Just to ask...

Outside of these folks "Seeming To Fit The Stereotype...", did you get to know them at all? The people they actually are who went along with "Fitting The Description..."?

Join the cool kids who read comics.
    https://www.cbr.com/hollywood-celebr...ic-book-nerds/
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

It seems to me that people are full of contradictions and no one is really like another one.

Who could really judge you? The world is full of people that don’t know you.

You could like cape comics and be a very skilled professional.

You could like cape comics and be an valued member of the society and bring joy and happiness around you.

You could like cape comics and be an ordinary person.

Does it define you?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I used to be embarrassed about my comic reading and nerd interests. But to be honest when I went to prison I stopped caring, A few years ago my mental health disorder got bad. mostly after I went to prison. And comic books helped with that. They have helped many times in my life though rough patches. my mom sent me comics in prison and it was an escape for me. When I got out I started to rebuild my collection. I started to collect my action figures to display on my book cases and got my posters and superhero bedsheets and blankets.

Yes it is childish and my aunt gives me crap for it. But I enjoy it it. it helps me relax and settle myself when I am doing bad. My dad supports and encourages my love of comics and superheroes. he even buys me action figures for Christmas and points out some he thinks I would like when he go to stores or when he sees them on ebay.

I dont care what other people think of my hobby. It is important to me and I enjoy it that is all that matters. I have a friend i talk comics with. He has a huge collection and he shares them with me. When I want to talk comics I come here. Some people on here can go over board but I ignore that.

All that matter is doing what you enjoy and to Hell with everyone else.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSJG View Post
    So as seen in my threads, I've been kind of insecure about liking cape comics as I'm starting to get the feel too much/most of the fandom is full of obnoxious manchildren and its like mlp's brony fandom. I like anime but more comfortable with that cuz we have many mainstream folks or normal/progressive people liking it such as michale b jordan, john boyega, rdcworld, cilvanis, caleb city and I don't see the same for comic fans, which makes me self conscious and most of my friends like anime and normal people I chat to as well. I once went to my uni comic club and like 4 folks there seemed to fit the stereotype of comic fans/ So based on this, how can I handle these feelings and stop being self conscious.
    Depends on your line of work. I wouldn't be advertising in my industry (supply chain) that I read comic books. I am not ashamed of it by any stretch of the imagination. I started reading/collecting them mostly for the story telling. But as time went on, I found I drew inspiration from them, and read them because they had qualities I admired in men and women. Mostly discipline, humility/gentleness, perseverance, sacrifice and service to others. I also find that the stories/lesson hit home far deeper and quicker than some dry self help book. SH comics often encourage me to be my best self.

True story. I was reading a science fiction book at work many years ago. This guy who loved goading people walked up and said, "Were you beaten as a child or something?" On the spur of the moment, I said, "Jack, you're much too intelligent and know how to goad people far too well to really be the ignorant moron you pretend to be". He just stood there gaping for a second, then laughed, gave me a thumbs up and walked away.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    True story. I was reading a science fiction book at work many years ago. This guy who loved goading people walked up and said, "Were you beaten as a child or something?" On the spur of the moment, I said, "Jack, you're much too intelligent and know how to goad people far too well to really be the ignorant moron you pretend to be". He just stood there gaping for a second, then laughed, gave me a thumbs up and walked away.
    My spouse and I were at my comic shop one day picking up my haul for the week. We were just browsing prior to getting rung up, when we overheard the couple at the counter. The female was visibly annoyed and said something about the man spending so much on his comics.
    And then said it again.
    The man just turned looked at her and said “Hey. These were here before you, and they’ll be here after you.” Then turned away again. The guy behind the counter (who I was friends w.) just flashed me an oh **** look, rang them up silently, and we all watched as they stormed out.

I was never really self-conscious about reading comics. Probably the worse cases happen in groups of comic fans when someone doesn't read the cool book, or has a vastly differing opinion. But now that the hobby's gotten mainstream cool, the outside pressure has backed off considerably. Although the spouse "you spend too much money on this" is not really indicative of an embarrassing hobby, just something we often really spend too much money on.

My true story happened on the Boston MBTA when I had just picked up and was reading Kingdom Come. Having worn Toronto Blue Jays memorabilia on the subway after a Red Sox game makes comics a far less disagreeable habit. A relatively attractive woman in her early twenties (over 10 years younger than me) asked me about it, knowing the book by reputation. We spoke for a couple of stops until we parted ways as one of us got off the train.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSJG View Post
    Hmm, Cosmonaut is a youtube channel that likes comics and has the same vibe as some of those people. Idk, join a discord server and talk to people about comics there if you feel too self-conscious to do it irl. Or follow other comic fans on Twitter who make memes or skits.

Funny how anime used to be the weird one.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Amazing Member

Does anyone have examples to refute this notion?

Never was. The cool **** from my formative years was getting girls pregnant, doing drugs, and car wrecks. The cop dudes of my home county.

I was like “ **** that. Let me be happy instead.”