Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The Demiurge will always be number 1 for me!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    It's still not clear to me how Knull is a sea change of difference from the Chaos King, Oblivion, etc. Are you sure this isn't Take: Two of Amatsu-Mikaboshi trashes the multiverse?

I guess what I'd really like to see is someone at Marvel take a different approach to the creation myth. They all start out with the limited and potentially flawed human perspective that darkness preceded the light, and hence, is somehow greater. But what if for a change there was only light and the complete absence of contrasting darkness was the advent? After all, many destruction myths posit that we all return to the "Light" as the primordial, eternal state of being.

Come on, Marvel, give me something, anything different. I just might buy it.
    A land or world where the sun is harsh and brutal, and the night is the time when people can actually safely come out and do stuff, and a people who regard the night as a time of creativity and magic and mystery (after all, anything could be out there, beyond the range of the torchlight), and the sun/day as a brutal oppressor out to burn and blind them (and the darkness as a protector, sheltering them from the merciless sun deity), could be a fun twist on things.

'Cause yeah, it's always light good, dark bad. Nyx, bad evil goddess from before time. The darkforce dimension, not terribly fun place (Dagger, for instance, has no cruel hungers stemming from a 'lightforce dimension' and her powers aren't quite so traumatic or terrifying even to people she's trying to help!). Etc.

And that's pretty tired, even when it's not twisted up with racial bias and colorism.

I remember when the 'Earth Force' came about, there was Wind Warrior, who seemed based loosely on the powers of the rain goddess Tefnut, Skylord, based on the skygod Shu, and uh, the big guy, based on the earth-god Geb. And yet Geb's wife, the goddess of night, was mysteriously absent. Making them a quartet, reflecting those four gods, would have made more sense, but it seems a heroic character based off a night-goddess was a step too far. (Or maybe it was her name, which begs for mockery. Nut.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    A land or world where the sun is harsh and brutal, and the night is the time when people can actually safely come out and do stuff, and a people who regard the night as a time of creativity and magic and mystery (after all, anything could be out there, beyond the range of the torchlight), and the sun/day as a brutal oppressor out to burn and blind them (and the darkness as a protector, sheltering them from the merciless sun deity), could be a fun twist on things.

'Cause yeah, it's always light good, dark bad. Nyx, bad evil goddess from before time. The darkforce dimension, not terribly fun place (Dagger, for instance, has no cruel hungers stemming from a 'lightforce dimension' and her powers aren't quite so traumatic or terrifying even to people she's trying to help!). Etc.

And that's pretty tired, even when it's not twisted up with racial bias and colorism.

I remember when the 'Earth Force' came about, there was Wind Warrior, who seemed based loosely on the powers of the rain goddess Tefnut, Skylord, based on the skygod Shu, and uh, the big guy, based on the earth-god Geb. And yet Geb's wife, the goddess of night, was mysteriously absent. Making them a quartet, reflecting those four gods, would have made more sense, but it seems a heroic character based off a night-goddess was a step too far. (Or maybe it was her name, which begs for mockery. Nut.)
    Last edited by K7P5V; 10-21-2020 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Added Helpful Link.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    It's still not clear to me how Knull is a sea change of difference from the Chaos King, Oblivion, etc. Are you sure this isn't Take: Two of Amatsu-Mikaboshi trashes the multiverse?

I guess what I'd really like to see is someone at Marvel take a different approach to the creation myth. They all start out with the limited and potentially flawed human perspective that darkness preceded the light, and hence, is somehow greater. But what if for a change there was only light and the complete absence of contrasting darkness was the advent? After all, many destruction myths posit that we all return to the "Light" as the primordial, eternal state of being.

Come on, Marvel, give me something, anything different. I just might buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

Good points, insights, and ideas, come to think of it. I didn't even know that particular aspect of the unfortunate implications in Cloak's Darkforce powers.
    The spider is always on the hunt.