Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I haven't looked at the numbers, but do they continue to sell well? I think the durability of the story's ability to make the sales charts is what the OP was asking about.
    I assume they continue to sell at least decently, as both are available on Amazon.uk. I don't think he was actually asking for the best-selling titles, however, because he says "There really doesn’t seem to be true Marvel evergreens, at least as far as sales are concerned", and goes on to ask "What material, if any, do you consider evergreen? If nothing, why do you feel that is? What has the potential to reach this status?" So I think the OP knows that Marvel don't have anything in the same league sales-wise, but is asking what material does Marvel have that you consider has that potential, given a little push. For me, those two stories do.

Well, that's how I interpreted it. The OP might want to chime in and clarify matters if he/she feels I'm dragging us down the wrong path.
    Last edited by Panic; 10-19-2020 at 05:30 PM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Honestly I would say that most recently, Tom King's Vision and Spider-Man: Life Story got the potential to be "evergreen" trades for Marvel.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

I'm thinking of those Season 1 Graphic Novels and Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale's color series.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Honestly I would say that most recently, Tom King's Vision and Spider-Man: Life Story got the potential to be "evergreen" trades for Marvel.
    King's Vision was one of the best things I have ever read in comics. And as someone who had very little knowledge of Vision prior to reading it, I followed along just fine and absolutely loved it! So yes I definitely agree it has the potential to be "evergreen".

All-New Member

Since a few people have inquired, I'm using the term "evergreen" to denote works that have continued to draw interest from readers and have a steady presence on sales charts, generally high enough that you can say that there is still relatively strong interest in these works.

Now, in terms of what makes an evergreen in terms of story content, I would agree with posters that bring up ability to stand on its own merit without excessive continuity knowledge.

Boisterously Confused

Deleted. OP answered my question.

Suppose the new "Marvel Select Series" would contain candidates.

Ultimate Spider-Man as a whole seems to be aging well and remaining relevant even beyond Miles.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I'd say books don't have to be out of continuity to become evergreen, but they need to be self-contained (as in a reader won't have to buy another series to understand the main elements of the story) and offer a distinct or iconic take on the main character. The story needs to have meant something in the character's publishing history.
    Which is why the Season One OGNs aren't evergreen. They didn't make a splash as they're basically just retellings of older (often times better) stories.

To me, potential evergreen series are:
    - Morrison's New X-men
    - Miller's Daredevil
    - Wolverine: Weapon X
    - Old Man Logan
    - Gaiman's Eternals
    - BKV's Runaways
    - Iron Man Extremis
    - Immortal Hulk
    - Millar's Ultimates
    - Inhumans by Paul Jenkins

Where does something like Ellis and Immonen's Nextwave stand? It's sort of out-of-continuity, and it fills the reader in on the background of each hero, so it stands alone in that sense; but if features heroes the general public has never heard of, and it's a spoof where it helps if you know comics to get the most out of some of the jokes. It really screams out for an Incredibles-style adaptation, imo, which would help its visibility.

Great, now I can't get Barbra Streisand out of my head......

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I'd say books don't have to be out of continuity to become evergreen, but they need to be self-contained (as in a reader won't have to buy another series to understand the main elements of the story) and offer a distinct or iconic take on the main character. The story needs to have meant something in the character's publishing history.
    Which is why the Season One OGNs aren't evergreen. They didn't make a splash as they're basically just retellings of older (often times better) stories.

To me, potential evergreen series are:
    - Morrison's New X-men
    - Miller's Daredevil
    - Wolverine: Weapon X
    - Old Man Logan
    - Gaiman's Eternals
    - BKV's Runaways
    - Iron Man Extremis
    - Immortal Hulk
    - Millar's Ultimates
    - Inhumans by Paul Jenkins
    Thanks for reminding me about Neil Gaiman's 1602...a very cool limited series. I'll have to check the Eternals