Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
Magneto uses comic book magnetism, which is not really similar to real world magnetism, so yeah, what type of metal it is doesn't matter.

I recall Zaladane, back in the day, complaining that some rocks were flying at her because 'she hadn't used how to use magnetism on stone yet,' and I was like, 'right, just like I haven't learned how to breathe water or swim through air...'

Other real world wonkiness I've read.

Heat weakens magnetism. Someone like Sunfire or even Phoenix (when she's all fiery) could amp up the heat and shut him down. Conversely, it works better in cold, hence all the babble about room-temperature superconductors (normally stuff has to be supercooled to reduce the resistance or whatever). If Magneto used science-magnetism, he'd be way stronger with a boost from Iceman.

Controlling the 'iron in someone's blood?' That's single-atom/monatomic iron, which apparently has no magnetic trace, because the magnetism occurs as a result of interactions between iron atoms, so Magneto (or some Star Trek gizmo) can't be strong enough to 'rip the iron out of your blood.' (So, yeah, Wesley Crusher was full of crap, but we knew that.)

The lead in bullets is mostly inert, magnetically speaking. Magneto would be able to jerk most guns out of their owners hands, and even manipulate bullets that hadn't been fired yet (by tugging on their copper jackets), but once the lead is in the air, they'd punch right through his magnetic shields... So he'd be much more effective if he stayed proactive and just disarmed everyone the second he sensed a bunch of metal guns around (or made all their guns point up, or down, or at each other, whatever).
Magneto has always liked to show off…

Anyway, there would be a great deal to be said if the super-heroes’ powers were examined under the magnifying glass of the science: sorry, people, French-speaking only… (Nothing about Magneto, though…)