Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
  1. #1
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    345

    Default Can magneto move non magnetic metals?

    Simple question

    Can magneto move non-Ferros aka non magnetic metal? And if so how?

    Here is a list of metals not affected by magnets

    Aluminum
    Zinc
    Copper
    Lead
    Chromium
    Lithium
    Vanadium
    Ruthenium
    Beryllium
    Titanium

    I assume he can move aluminum with him throwing planes and satellites around. Any other examples?

  2. #2
    Mighty Member Frobisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,763

    Default

    He can move any material that contains trace elements of bad-writing-ium.

  3. #3

    Default

    Given how powerful the EM fields that he creates are, he can move/manipulate anything, and it's fine because electromagnetism is a fundamental force, and if you zoom in enough, everything is magnetic, in terms of electrons and protons, etc.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

  4. #4
    Mighty Member Frobisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Given how powerful the EM fields that he creates are, he can move/manipulate anything, and it's fine because electromagnetism is a fundamental force, and if you zoom in enough, everything is magnetic, in terms of electrons and protons, etc.
    Everything is magnetic if you say it is in a narration box. Brain electricity is lightning, and therefore weather.

  5. #5

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Everything is magnetic if you say it is in a narration box. Brain electricity is lightning, and therefore weather.
    Be mad if you want. Magneto and Storm are Omegas for good reasons. There is no escape from the fundamental forces of reality.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

  7. #7
    Incredible Member Micabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    609

    Default

    While, Magneto can controls magnetic fields to a absurd degree... He cannot control non-ferrous (non-magnetic) metals. This has been used against him, notably in the construction of the later-stage Sentinels, which were made of non-ferrous metal and plastic.

  8. #8
    Ultimate Member Ambaryerno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    12,955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    Simple question

    Can magneto move non-Ferros aka non magnetic metal? And if so how?

    Here is a list of metals not affected by magnets

    Aluminum
    Zinc
    Copper
    Lead
    Chromium
    Lithium
    Vanadium
    Ruthenium
    Beryllium
    Titanium

    I assume he can move aluminum with him throwing planes and satellites around. Any other examples?
    Keep in mind aircraft aren't JUST made of aluminum. There may be steel components (IE the steel sheet armor used on military aircraft to protect the pilot).
    Still hoping for that Helix Reunion...

    The New X-Men: Can't let you grow up because you make everyone look old. But we can sure as @#$% mindlessly kill you off for shock value!

    Pull List: N/A

  9. #9
    Ultimate Member Ambaryerno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    12,955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Be mad if you want. Magneto and Storm are Omegas for good reasons. There is no escape from the fundamental forces of whatever bullshit the writers want.
    Fixed that for you.

    Seriously, that's Bat Fan level of justification.
    Still hoping for that Helix Reunion...

    The New X-Men: Can't let you grow up because you make everyone look old. But we can sure as @#$% mindlessly kill you off for shock value!

    Pull List: N/A

  10. #10
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    392

    Default

    So my opinion would be yes he can bend all of that and the reason is while the object itself might have little to no magnetic pulse, he is able to control magnetic FIELDS. And everywhere you are on earth there is at least some magnetic fields especially around gravity strong areas. So while he might not be able to manipulate the objects themselves he could still control the magnetic fields around objects too make them do what they want

  11. #11
    Spectacular Member Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    148

    Default

    I think most common interpretation is that he can, it's just much easier to manipulate iron. Adamantium is non-magnetic and we know he can manipulate that to great degree. He can stop physical attacks with mere magnetic force fields.
    Movie Magneto was much more limited.

  12. #12
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    253

    Default

    What others said about writer's perogative.

    Frankly he's a big example of popularity-induced power creep and a good person to point to when you want to say 'and this is what you don't do with a character'.

    YMMV.

  13. #13
    Beware! Daedra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    915

    Default

    https://www.wired.com/1997/05/magnet...g-frogs-float/

    "GIVEN A STRONG enough magnetic field, lifting anything is possible. For now, researchers at the Nigmegen High Field Magnet Laboratory in the Netherlands have focused their levitation efforts on frogs and other small creatures."
    "I'm looking forward to the court appearances without spray tan, hair dye and a professional comb-over."

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,809

    Default

    Magneto uses comic book magnetism, which is not really similar to real world magnetism, so yeah, what type of metal it is doesn't matter.

    I recall Zaladane, back in the day, complaining that some rocks were flying at her because 'she hadn't used how to use magnetism on stone yet,' and I was like, 'right, just like I haven't learned how to breathe water or swim through air...'

    Other real world wonkiness I've read.

    Heat weakens magnetism. Someone like Sunfire or even Phoenix (when she's all fiery) could amp up the heat and shut him down. Conversely, it works better in cold, hence all the babble about room-temperature superconductors (normally stuff has to be supercooled to reduce the resistance or whatever). If Magneto used science-magnetism, he'd be way stronger with a boost from Iceman.

    Controlling the 'iron in someone's blood?' That's single-atom/monatomic iron, which apparently has no magnetic trace, because the magnetism occurs as a result of interactions between iron atoms, so Magneto (or some Star Trek gizmo) can't be strong enough to 'rip the iron out of your blood.' (So, yeah, Wesley Crusher was full of crap, but we knew that.)

    The lead in bullets is mostly inert, magnetically speaking. Magneto would be able to jerk most guns out of their owners hands, and even manipulate bullets that hadn't been fired yet (by tugging on their copper jackets), but once the lead is in the air, they'd punch right through his magnetic shields... So he'd be much more effective if he stayed proactive and just disarmed everyone the second he sensed a bunch of metal guns around (or made all their guns point up, or down, or at each other, whatever).

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Fixed that for you.

    Seriously, that's Bat Fan level of justification.
    No, that's just physics. You know that thing ferals defy by regenerating new flesh without any nourishment. Seriously, where is the mass coming from?
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •