Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Possibly, although Marvel does have archangels. Michael, Gabriel, Metatron, Azrael, even Yahweh himself have all made appearances in the Marvel canon. So, too, naturally have Lucifer, Zadkiel and some of the fallen angels. So it's not that Marvel is particularly concerned about offending anyone, they'd just rather have more demons about and far more engaged. The "coolness" factor could be a point, but again, it's all in how you frame angels. According to several texts, the only real difference between angels and demons is that the first were operating on official orders from God. But they've done everything from slay innocents, to curse people, to even fornicate, if you believe some of apocryphal texts that are out there. Angels could be cool, too, if written that way.
    I always found it odd that most angel names ended with an -iel or ael suffix while demon names had more variety. I think that might be a factor in demons being seen as more interesting. There's also the fact that angels are, rightly or wrongly, seen as beings we are meant to be view as good so angels doing some of the stuff you mentioned here could be interpreted as being bad even if they are a lot more complicated than that.

Still, you do raise some good points and DC has gotten some good stories out of angels the few times they use them so maybe Marvel could too.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing other religions and mythologies explored as well. With care and good writing, of course.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I always found it odd that most angel names ended with an -iel or ael suffix while demon names had more variety.
    The 'a-el' or 'i-el' ending just means 'of God', so an angels name might translate to 'word of God' or 'sword of God' or whatever.

I could see many demons wanting to ditch that after the fall (as Sammael did, now being called Lucifer or Satan). And in the Marvel universe where most demons are explicitly not fallen angels, serving entities like Chthon or Belasco's 'Elder Gods', there's even less reason for formerly angelic names like Azrael or Raphael.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    The 'a-el' or 'i-el' ending just means 'of God', so an angels name might translate to 'word of God' or 'sword of God' or whatever.

I could see many demons wanting to ditch that after the fall (as Sammael did, now being called Lucifer or Satan). And in the Marvel universe where most demons are explicitly not fallen angels, serving entities like Chthon or Belasco's 'Elder Gods', there's even less reason for formerly angelic names like Azrael or Raphael.
    Well, “Samael” translates to “Poison of God”, so that’s a reason to keep the name.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing other religions and mythologies explored as well. With care and good writing, of course.
    Totally, absolutey agree there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

I would definitely take that into account when reintroducing angels into Marvel's current books.

I'd also consider giving angelic divine powers to existing heroes who are otherwise not necessarily linked to the heavenly host. Take Spectrum, for example. We know that her powers originate from an extradimensional source, but who can say if that source isn't divine in nature, even if her light powers have taken on a more physics-based form on this plane of existence? The Creator said, "Let there be Light," and billions of years later the power of that simple command continues to manifest in the person of Monica Rambeau. Beings like Nyx and Knull are all put on notice that their darkness does not make them as invincible as they believe it does. Not with Monica around.

Spectacular Member CaptainLiberty76's Avatar

Things I don't want in 2021? How about fewer "events?" Things I WOULD want in 2021: How about an occasional done-in-one stories? How about a Namor comic? How about less decompression and more use of supporting characters? How about a reflection of heroes lives outside of the costume? More plot, less splash just for the sake of splash. More guest stars in each other's books, but fewer crossovers, if you get my drift. And please, please, please, get someone to write the Avengers who has some style and wit.
    These are just a few of my favorite ideas.
    Last edited by CaptainLiberty76; 11-05-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Monica Rambeau not having an ongoing or at least mini series
    Agreed. Monica should definitely be featured in a limited series in 2021. Not sure when Captain Marvel 2 will be released, but it can't hurt to get Monica up and running in her own book before the movie comes out.

Blue Marvel not being a big time player in the Marvel Universe

Synch being in Limbo
    I think the writing is on the wall for Synch. He's done in the X-men universe. They killed him off at the height of his popularity and waited too long to bring him back. The new generation of readers don't support him like we did.

What sucks is that the X-creators don't like letting any of their characters go to other non-X books. I think Synch would make the perfect apprentice for the Blue Marvel. Out with the rainbow aura, in with the blue aura. Out with the mutant metaphor of the X-men and in with the more accurate reality of being a Black man in America today. Maybe age him up a bit and introduce him to Blue Marvel's daughter. Monet can still make an appearance if she likes, but she'll have some serious competition from Adrienne. And if Ev needs a new team, I bet he'd fit right in with the New Warriors with his new permanent Blue Marvel-lite powers. Plus, if nothing else, Everett definitely has a better chance of meeting his idol, the Silver Surfer, if he leaves the X-universe. They need to make this happen.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 11-05-2020 at 06:13 PM.