Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Chris Claremont doing hardly anything.

We know he is still with the company. You folks may think he isn't top tier anymore, but I still feel he is better than the majority of the mid to bottom tier talent at the company. That isn't an insult to the writers that work at Marvel. It's just that the company has writers it values more than others. I know it, you know, the writers know it.

Fabian Nicieza's and Garney's Juggernaut is a great example. An old hand doing great work. Making something better than it has any right to be. Claremont could be that guy as well.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

Genre exclusivity

Amazing Member

Hero vs hero fights (how have we not moved passed this?)

phoenix force and other bullshit powerups

face turns of mass murdering baby eating villains.

Heroes getting a free pass to brainwash and mind control people

alternate dimensions or time travel

Heroes (and even some villains) being thrown under the bus in order to boost another hero's credibility. It's just cheap, and ultimately very destructive.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Genre exclusivity
    That conflicts with what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Heroes (and even some villains) being thrown under the bus in order to boost another hero's credibility. It's just cheap, and ultimately very destructive.
    The word for that is called "jobbing". Nothing is wrong with it. This is superhero comics, but sometimes a writer takes it to the extreme.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

X-Men being distant towards their human friends.

Hero vs Hero

Aaron having female characters act OOC to act as a mouthpiece for his brand of feminism.

Terrible retcons (here’s looking at you Moira X, Tony adoption and Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver parentage/species retcon)

Greg Land art

Forced MCU synergy

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    The word for that is called "jobbing". Nothing is wrong with it. This is superhero comics, but sometimes a writer takes it to the extreme.
    I thought jobbing was strictly related to fights, and though that is part of what I was talking about, I was referring to the wider practice that includes heroes becoming stupid and incompetent, and even becoming just straight-out awful people, in order that another hero might shine in comparison. For example the Thor/Jane dynamic, or pretty much any Batgod scene over in DC. It's incredibly cheap and unfair. If I want, say, Iron Fist to become more popular and well-regarded, I want the writer to develop Iron Fist's own rogue's gallery, create new villain's for him, create his own mythology - I don't want him to get a cheap boost by wiping the floor with one of Black Panther's villain's and being told by defeated villain that he's a better fighter than T'Challa ever was. It's needlessly crappy and unearned.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I thought jobbing was strictly related to fights, and though that is part of what I was talking about, I was referring to the wider practice that includes heroes becoming stupid and incompetent, and even becoming just straight-out awful people, in order that another hero might shine in comparison. For example the Thor/Jane dynamic, or pretty much any Batgod scene over in DC. It's incredibly cheap and unfair. If I want, say, Iron Fist to become more popular and well-regarded, I want the writer to develop Iron Fist's own rogue's gallery, create new villain's for him, create his own mythology - I don't want him to get a cheap boost by wiping the floor with one of Black Panther's villain's and being told by defeated villain that he's a better fighter than T'Challa ever was. It's needlessly crappy and unearned.
    Oh wow. I know about the Jane nonsense but I want aware of the Iron Fist thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Oh wow. I know about the Jane nonsense but I want aware of the Iron Fist thing...
    No, the Iron Fist thing was me giving a hypothetical example of the sort of thing I don't want, even for a hero I like. Sorry about the confusion.

Astonishing Member

Chip Zdarsky leaving Daredevil. Seriously, that book is the best it's been since the Brubaker days.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by comicboy12 View Post
    Hero vs hero fights (how have we not moved passed this?)

phoenix force and other bullshit powerups

face turns of mass murdering baby eating villains.

Heroes getting a free pass to brainwash and mind control people

alternate dimensions or time travel
    The bolded, especially, since frankly, after all the rotten s*** done by a number of characters that we were supposed to see as heroes in many of those hero vs. hero line-wide events, it's galling to me that those particular characters aren't at the very least on everyone else's permanent s*** list and at the very most doing actual prison time, speaking in-universe. I mean, maybe I wouldn't be so sour on these events if they came with long-lasting, if not permanent consequences for the characters and setting, and people in-universe, fellow heroes included, didn't just let them walk away scot-free.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Thanos.
    Wimpy Black Panther.
    Tony Stark's fake mom. Everybody dumping on Tony.
    Unworthy Thor.
    The country doubting Captain America. Again.
    More registration acts(Outlawed? C'mon man!)
    Every human hates mutants. Every human?
    Morally ambiguous heroes.
    $5.99, $6.99, $7.99, $8.99 or $9.99 comic books. Incoming and ASM #850. You have got to be kidding.

Stories about viruses and contagions, it's too soon.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    ....Aaron having female characters act OOC to act as a mouthpiece for his brand of feminism....
    Same here, I, so, want the once dynamic and fun-loving She-Hulk freed from Aaron's yoke of brutish stupidity.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."