Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I've never liked it. The black colour scheme clashes with her black hair, and the webbing patterns don't make sense for someone who doesn't use webs. It'd make more sense on literally anyone else, as Jessica's pretty much the only spider hero who doesn't have webs, and apart from Silk, the others also don't have black hair.
    Miles also has black hair but it's covered by his mask

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    This is something that I'd actually be comfortable leaving behind.

The idea that Galactus is essential to the universe comes off as an excuse to keep him around rather than get rid off him. It's the definition of "Joker Immunity", and a horrible excuse for why things can't change.
    Yeah, I've never understood how a guy who destroys planets to sustain himself is essential to the universe. Galactus needs the universe far more than it needs him.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yeah, I've never understood how a guy who destroys planets to sustain himself is essential to the universe. Galactus needs the universe far more than it needs him.
    Maybe Galactus job is to prevent Marvel-616 to turn into an another Cancerverse!?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    This is something that I'd actually be comfortable leaving behind.

The idea that Galactus is essential to the universe comes off as an excuse to keep him around rather than get rid off him. It's the definition of "Joker Immunity", and a horrible excuse for why things can't change.
    Pretty sure "Joker Immunity" is the universe's natural response to the omnipotence of the Batgod. If Batman never dies -- or even loses -- in situations where he absolutely should, why should the Joker?

Besides, we already saw the Galactus thing play out in the pages of Ultimates. There's a reason why he isn't the Lifebringer any more. I'm simply saying take it to its logical conclusion. Make the Big G a load-bearing wall of all reality and leave it at that. If writers hate the idea and they want to kill him anyway, well, prepare to deal with the repercussions of their preposterous script.

That said, I agree with you in principle. There are lots of characters that have been propped up by fanboys/girls and editorial mandate that have outlived their usefulness and should be permanently killed off. But alas, Death's door in the Marvel Universe is a revolving one.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

And yet, if Galactus never existed, would there be a cosmos as the MU knows it? Pretty disastrous butterfly effect there if you went back and removed Galan from the great scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    That said, I agree with you in principle. There are lots of characters that have been propped up by fanboys/girls and editorial mandate that have outlived their usefulness and should be permanently killed off. But alas, Death's door in the Marvel Universe is a revolving one.
    If they are being "propped-up" by fans buying their books or wanting to see more of them then they have not outlived their usefulness, imo. It's common for fans to say that characters that they have little interest in are boring/overused and need to be killed off; at the same time they are absolutely adamant that their own favourites should NOT be killed-off, and that there is plenty more potential left untapped in said character.

What I think is an issue is that the shared universe concept that used to help less popular characters get more exposure and functioned in a fairly symbiotic manner between heroes now, with the Big Event model the current super-hero comics use, the shared universe is used to create a perception of hierarchy, with some characters getting propped-up by taking certain cushy roles (eg Great Leader or Saviour), whilst less favoured characters are thrown under the bus. Heroes have to win fights to function as power fantasies - yes they have to lose a fight or two, but only so they can come back and turn the tables on the villain - and they have to do the sort of things the reader would want to do in their place. If you have Daredevil, say, keep turning up in Big Events to act stupid and get beat down, then regardless of how good DD's comic might be, his popularity will go down. Conversely, if you have Jack of Hearts being the saviour of Big Events time and time again, kids are going to think the character is great even if his comic is actually kind of subpar. The Big Event model uses other heroes as supporting characters for the favoured heroes, rather than letting a hero stand or fall on how good the stories and supporting character set-up is in their own book.

If they evened things out in event books and team books it would be a fairer system; if the guest-starring appearances of heroes in other books were used symbiotically rather than parasitically then it would be a fairer system. There would be more room for lesser-known heroes to gain a following, and less pushback from the fan community who have been taught that this is a zero sum game where popularity can only be achieved at the expense of another hero.

Don't forget Jessica's wing gliders, which are webs.

But I get your main point and agree. They're trying to shoehorn Jessica into something that doesn't really fit who she is, past or present. If they really, really insist on doing some Spider-Man like effects on her costume, there are designs that work better. And if they're trying for a costume that is less 1970s sexy and revealing, there are designs that work better. Maybe one day they'll listen to the fans, but I doubt it.
    the funny thing is It's a full body costume just like the one Spider-Man wears. It doesn't reveal anything. If Sony ever makes a Spider-Woman movie I really hope they.....leave out the kid Then I hope they use the original costume just to see the prude's heads explode.

You can see her wearing the same costume on her old cartoon show on Disney+ right now LOL.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 10-25-2020 at 06:22 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Pretty sure "Joker Immunity" is the universe's natural response to the omnipotence of the Batgod. If Batman never dies -- or even loses -- in situations where he absolutely should, why should the Joker? .
    No, Joker immunity is simply the natural response to realizing you have an incredibly popular character who can't ever die for real because he makes too much money. How many super popular comic villains have ever died and actually stayed dead?

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    People complaining about comicbooks they don't actually read. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    It's always extremely obvious when someone has read the comic they're supposedly mad about or just saw an inflammatory video about it from some shithead on Youtube.
    Last edited by Holt; 10-25-2020 at 10:06 AM.

Yeah, as much as I love Galactus, he should not be considered on the same scale as Eternity and Death. I'm not sure why that concept was ever introduced. Even if Galactus is a great universal entity and plays a necessary or important role within nature or the cosmos, it doesn't make him as important as the cosmos itself. The business of Galactus running around destroying and consuming worlds, hell even if it were entire galaxies, it should be to almost no consequence to Eternity. Galactus is essentially a predator in a cosmic ecosystem. All that being said, he should still be able to mop the floor with anyone from Earth.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    No, Joker immunity is simply the natural response to realizing you have an incredibly popular character who can't ever die for real because he makes too much money. How many super popular comic villains have ever died and actually stayed dead?

It's always extremely obvious when someone has read the comic they're supposedly mad about or just saw an inflammatory video about it from some shithead on Youtube.
    Pretty much. What I don't want to see anymore of in Marvel Comics in 2021 is still acting like those kinds of people somehow have greater legitimacy or ownership over superhero genre fandom and the comics industry than anyone else.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Changing a hero's/heroine's origin so dramatically and then adding more changes on top of that.

Writers who don't understand the characters they're writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Changing a hero's/heroine's origin so dramatically and then adding more changes on top of that.

Writers who don't understand the characters they're writing.
    Agreed on this as well.

Ruler Of The New York Underworld. As if anyone could rule a city where the majority of all supervillians and superheroes live. Maybe if Marvel did a better job at spreading out their universe it wouldn't be so silly
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Ruler Of The New York Underworld. As if anyone could rule a city where the majority of all supervillians and superheroes live. Maybe if Marvel did a better job at spreading out their universe it wouldn't be so silly
    The "undisputed ruler of the New York underworld" should be just a figurehead at best, and come to think of it, Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil actually poked a hole in that by having it revealed as basically a fiction that took on a life of its own, something to keep the ambitions of "lesser criminals" in check while the "real power players" of New York made their moves to maintain their control and tighten their grip on the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Yeah, as much as I love Galactus, he should not be considered on the same scale as Eternity and Death. I'm not sure why that concept was ever introduced. Even if Galactus is a great universal entity and plays a necessary or important role within nature or the cosmos, it doesn't make him as important as the cosmos itself. The business of Galactus running around destroying and consuming worlds, hell even if it were entire galaxies, it should be to almost no consequence to Eternity. Galactus is essentially a predator in a cosmic ecosystem. All that being said, he should still be able to mop the floor with anyone from Earth.
    That concept (Galactus being essential to universe for vague reasons) was introduced by Byrne because he was pissed at Chris Claremont and Jim Shooter at killing Jean Grey (The reason was she killed a solar system and was a murderer). So why not kill Galactus? This was his response and it has only hampered the character ever since.

Galactus doesn't works as a neutral character (Neither good or bad). He is a villain and should be treated as such. Right now he is just a punching bag to show how awesome this hero or villain is.