Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How so exactly?
    I assume he means by mostly covering their faces. (And the Nova uniform pretty much covers the rest of them, whereas the Quasar bands can be worn by someone who wears any sort of outfit, including outfits that show off skin color or hairstyles or tattoos or other more individual features or choices.)

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Here's another one: portraying the need to rein in superheroes as a bad thing.
    It's only a bad thing if you don't trust the people and/or institutions that would be tasked with that sort of thing. A brief recount of the staggering history of corruption in the MU U.S. government --- signing off on methods of "controlling the mutant menace" that would be at least human rights violations if not outright genocide attempts if done to any other group of people, for starters, and even without that, the Red Skull was able to infiltrate and rise to a high position in that government, the original Secret Empire was led by a very high-ranking government official implied to be the President of the United States himself at the time, all those times S.H.I.E.L.D. was secretly hijacked by HYDRA or other bad actors, to say nothing of S.H.I.E.L.D. ultimately turning out to be a secret branch of HYDRA. Considering all that, it's entirely understandable, if not logical, that those who'd task themselves with "watching the watchmen" wouldn't (and perhaps shouldn't) necessarily be (perceived as) more trustworthy than superheroes, because what's their agenda, at the end of the day? Protecting the public, or protecting their own power and pocketbooks?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    Yes, I am aware but I can still dream can't I?
    Always better to leave people wanting more. I'm more worried about the next run either ignoring Ewing's or outright retconning it.

I'd also prefer Hulk doesn't get shoved on an Avengers team, but it looks like that's gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I'm on the other side of that notion. I'm in favor of Richard Rider being the only remaining Nova. Ditch the rest.

But I would sign off on a large, powerful Quantum Band corps of universal protectors in a heartbeat. I prefer bracelets over helmets, especially since the latter detracts from the character's individuality. If Epoch isn't around to reintroduce the protectors, create a new character that will guide the group over the next 1,000 millennia.

Agree about Nova. I found the character during New Warriors when the Corp was already gone and he was all that was left... and I've never read anything else that makes me wish there was more. This idea where every time I turn my head he's gone from 'the only one left' to a whole corp active again.... ONLY to be immediately destroyed is just dumb.

Besides, the less comparison to the Green Lanterns the better. Everytime a new intergalactic peace keeping force shows up, they're just a shallow rip off of the GLC... so let's just skip that and focus on Rich.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    It's only a bad thing if you don't trust the people and/or institutions that would be tasked with that sort of thing. A brief recount of the staggering history of corruption in the MU U.S. government --- signing off on methods of "controlling the mutant menace" that would be at least human rights violations if not outright genocide attempts if done to any other group of people, for starters, and even without that, the Red Skull was able to infiltrate and rise to a high position in that government, the original Secret Empire was led by a very high-ranking government official implied to be the President of the United States himself at the time, all those times S.H.I.E.L.D. was secretly hijacked by HYDRA or other bad actors, to say nothing of S.H.I.E.L.D. ultimately turning out to be a secret branch of HYDRA. Considering all that, it's entirely understandable, if not logical, that those who'd task themselves with "watching the watchmen" wouldn't (and perhaps shouldn't) necessarily be (perceived as) more trustworthy than superheroes, because what's their agenda, at the end of the day? Protecting the public, or protecting their own power and pocketbooks?
    I have to agree. To paraphrase Greg Rucka, superheroes can't exist in a world where the authorities are equipped to deal with menaces threatening them either from within or without.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by ETMike1988 View Post
    Another sex between two islands....
    You don't want to see that? The movies outdid this and introduced to us the concept of a planet having sex with an Earthling, after having sex with multiple other species from other galaxies for centuries.

Even with thinking about it that way I still like Guardians of the Galaxy 2 more than the first one, but I think I might change my mind down the line.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Symbiotes
    Tini Howard on Excalibur
    Inhumans

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I have to agree. To paraphrase Greg Rucka, superheroes can't exist in a world where the authorities are equipped to deal with menaces threatening them either from within or without.
    I both understand this and think that this is overrated. I think "The Only One" on tvtropes provides the best summation of this:
    If the series is about a local police force, the FBI are ivory-tower glory hounds. If the series is about an FBI agent, the local police are all useless Corrupt Hick types. If the series is about the military, government higher-ups will only be interested in pleasing the voters. If the series is about the government or an anti-military type, then the military will be The Evil Army commanded by a General Ripper type who is just itching to Nuke 'em back to the stone age, never mind the asking questions part. If the series is about a rogue hero, all levels of government and law enforcement, plus the military, are either corrupt or clueless, with the possible exception of a Reasonable Authority Figure who will still be be unable to help because of mountains of red tape. And everyone else will just think that it isn't for them to deal with (at least, at first). In those cases where the people who are supposed to be handling the situation are not also bad guys, you can end up with a Red Shirt Army.
    It can make the hero feel like a Mary Sue in their own story which is never a good thing.

She-Hulk's current characterization in Jason Aaron's Avengers run.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I both understand this and think that this is overrated. I think "The Only One" on tvtropes provides the best summation of this:

It can make the hero feel like a Mary Sue in their own story which is never a good thing.
    Hmm, that's actually a pretty good point there. Granted, continued (and perhaps systemic) institutional failure in real life has been a major cause for growing distrust in said institutions, but I can see how promoting a singular character or protagonist above all others as some kind of specially incorruptible "chosen one" can have --- to borrow more TV Tropes parlance --- unfortunate implications.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Hmm, that's actually a pretty good point there. Granted, continued (and perhaps systemic) institutional failure in real life has been a major cause for growing distrust in said institutions, but I can see how promoting a singular character or protagonist above all others as some kind of specially incorruptible "chosen one" can have --- to borrow more TV Tropes parlance --- unfortunate implications.
    Well, it helps when you see the POV of the protagonist, of course.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Events. Let each book do it's own thing for a while.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

How so exactly?
    Have you never watched an NFL football game? Or riot police with their heads totally covered? Or an army of Iron Men in comics? How do you tell who is who? You can't. That's the point. Individual elements are purposely covered. Yes, no doubt protection is the primary reason, but presenting a unified, homogenous group is the other welcome side effect. I'm not saying that there aren't ways to draw Novae to distinguish them. But quantum band wielders don't generally require that sort of effort...or concern.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 10-24-2020 at 10:51 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The god damned Phoenix Force. Let that stupid overused mess of a situation sit on the shelf preferably forever. The minute I see a writer is using it these days I lose respect for that writer because it is just so played out and tired at this point (hell not just this point but for the last decade)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    People complaining about comicbooks they don't actually read. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    YOu asking for TOO MUCH...........