Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Stop just “using superhero team names” as though they’re interchangeable.

I hate how “Agents of Atlas” only has one member that was originally from Atlas Comics now.
    You obviously haven't been reading it. The old team never stopped being the Agents of Atlas. Turns out Jimmy Woo had two teams that didn't know about each other... which eventually got found out by both sides. They're now fighting alongside each other in Atlantis Attacks.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Can daemonic beings take a hiatus in 2021? I think angelic beings are calling for equal time. (And no, I'm not talking about the Asgardian variety.) I mean Zarathos and Mephisto are cool and all, but let's not forget that they represent only half of the lore and nowhere near the power or intrigue as their opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Can daemonic beings take a hiatus in 2021? I think angelic beings are calling for equal time. (And no, I'm not talking about the Asgardian variety.) I mean Zarathos and Mephisto are cool and all, but let's not forget that they represent only half of the lore and nowhere near the power or intrigue as their opposition.
    Minor thing but aren't daemons and demons different things?

I do agree but I wonder if it's just too late to do anything interesting with angels. DC, Spawn, Vampirella and even Lady Death have more interesting angels and have done so for a longer time.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Other franchises and characters being thrown under the bus or character assassinated to prop up and push mutants and Krakoa, especially in their own books. That's what seems to be happening across the board right now and I hope it doesn't continue into 2021. From She-Hulk getting dragged by Logan, to Carol and the Avengers looking bad so Sword now becomes a mutant organization, to Reed getting punked and mind abused by Xavier, to x-writers retconning Wakanda's history to suit some x-event and having T'challa look weak. How far is this going to go, how much pull does Hickman have over other writers who have to defer to whatever he wants to do. And is there some mandate that the x-franchise has prominence over all other properties? If Marvel is not careful there could be backlash from many who see blatant bias and favoritism towards the X-men side at the expense of the rest of the MU.
    What the hell? That's happening right now? How dumb if so...

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    the funny thing is It's a full body costume just like the one Spider-Man wears. It doesn't reveal anything. If Sony ever makes a Spider-Woman movie I really hope they.....leave out the kid Then I hope they use the original costume just to see the prude's heads explode.

You can see her wearing the same costume on her old cartoon show on Disney+ right now LOL.
    The complaint about her old costume being too sexualized was always the most moronic complaint, she's a fucking Super-Hero, she wears skin-tight suits like the rest, and while there are times it revealed too much, that's nothing new, just an artist being a pervert and she's hardly the only "victim" of that, and the current costume is another skin tight suit, so that one can be sexualized too.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Funny enough, Power Rangers does actually have its own "shady government agency" in the form of Alphabet Soup (probably a riff on shady government agencies in other media) from the RPM season/universe, which raised child geniuses in captivity by tricking them into thinking they had a condition that rendered their skin extremely, possibly fatally, photosensitive and forcing them to design and build weapons. In fact, Alphabet Soup's outright abuse and exploitation of those children is the main reason most of human civilization gets wiped out by the time of the first episode of RPM, and as for "multidimensional crises" . . . see Shattered Grid.
    "Alphabet Soup", that made me chuckle .

Funny enough, Power Rangers does actually have its own "shady government agency" in the form of Alphabet Soup (probably a riff on shady government agencies in other media) from the RPM season/universe, which raised child geniuses in captivity by tricking them into thinking they had a condition that rendered their skin extremely, possibly fatally, photosensitive and forcing them to design and build weapons. In fact, Alphabet Soup's outright abuse and exploitation of those children is the main reason most of human civilization gets wiped out by the time of the first episode of RPM, and as for "multidimensional crises" . . . see Shattered Grid.
    At least Alphabet Soup is a rarity in Power Rangers rather than common. It didn't even occur in the main universe.

I think Power Rangers is the only American superhero franchise that doesn't paint superhero accountability as a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Minor thing but aren't daemons and demons different things?
    I'm just using the archaic spelling of demons.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I think it's simply a matter of "evil is cool(er)," so you tend to see more demons and devils in fiction than angels, and demons end up getting portrayed as arguably more sympathetic, even if not necessarily protagonists, while angels get portrayed as self-righteous destroyers of anything and anyone that doesn't adhere to their standards of morality.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    At least Alphabet Soup is a rarity in Power Rangers rather than common. It didn't even occur in the main universe.

I think Power Rangers is the only American superhero franchise that doesn't paint superhero accountability as a bad thing.
    Good points, yeah, especially the latter. I think a lot of the issue with "superhero accountability," though, is the question, "Accountability to whom or what?" Because as bad as unlicensed superpowered vigilantism can get (and most likely would get in real life), fiction unfortunately reflects reality in the sense that many of the institutions we would or should count upon for accountability are themselves all too often untrustworthy and ironically as unaccountable in their own way as costumed superhuman vigilantes.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

I think it's simply a matter of "evil is cool(er)," so you tend to see more demons and devils in fiction than angels, and demons end up getting portrayed as arguably more sympathetic, even if not necessarily protagonists, while angels get portrayed as self-righteous destroyers of anything and anyone that doesn't adhere to their standards of morality.
    I think it’s more that it’s “easier” to depict demons than it is angels. Many religions, especially Abrahamic ones, are typically strict in the depiction of their figures.

Since Abrahamic religions are still prominent, their opinions have far more weight than how people feel about other deities like Zeus and Thor.

I think it’s more that it’s “easier” to depict demons than it is angels. Many religions, especially Abrahamic ones, are typically strict in the depiction of their figures.

Since Abrahamic religions are still prominent, their opinions have far more weight than how people feel about other deities like Zeus and Thor.
    That's a very good point, come to think of it.

Astonishing Member

Self-referential humor: too much of it and Marvel Comics becomes a parody of itself

Self-referential humor: too much of it and Marvel Comics becomes a parody of itself
    Yeah, especially MCU references, and I say that as someone who can still enjoy (most of) it.

Does Angela count? She was the bright spot of that strike force team they had last year.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Does Angela count? She was the bright spot of that strike force team they had last year.
    Technically, no, since Angela's lore was changed (i.e., shoe-horned) to be Asgardian-centric. I don't believe Marvel is seeking to establish Odin as the God of Abraham, so Hevn isn't exactly the same thing as Heaven. Also, even though according to some interpretations of the myths the Valkyrie were meant to be angelic beings as well, I'm not counting them as members of the so called "Heavenly Host" or seraphic beings either. While we're at it, Celestials, which was also another term to describe 2000 foot tall angels according to some religious texts, aren't being considered as angels, either. I'm going with Marvel's cosmic origin and definitions for that group.

Black Panther being a joke in his own book
    Blue Marvel not being a big time player in the Marvel Universe
    Monica Rambeau not having an ongoing or at least mini series
    Thunderbolts relaunch without the OG's
    Synch being in Limbo
    Inhumans

Possibly, although Marvel does have archangels. Michael, Gabriel, Metatron, Azrael, even Yahweh himself have all made appearances in the Marvel canon. So, too, naturally have Lucifer, Zadkiel and some of the fallen angels. So it's not that Marvel is particularly concerned about offending anyone, they'd just rather have more demons about and far more engaged. The "coolness" factor could be a point, but again, it's all in how you frame angels. According to several texts, the only real difference between angels and demons is that the first were operating on official orders from God. But they've done everything from slay innocents, to curse people, to even fornicate, if you believe some of apocryphal texts that are out there. Angels could be cool, too, if written that way.