Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member

Default Constantine is dying! Hellblazer:Dangerous Habits

The video is focused mainly on that story,however,they also mention Original Sins and how the books influenced the 2005 Constantine movie.

And even though they don't discuss it,I was wondering how popular is John Constantine? he's been around for quite a while in comic books but just recently has gotten more exposure on the CW Legends of Tomorrow and in animation. And that's after the big screen movie and short lived solo t.v. show. Do fans see him becoming a household name -if he isn't already-like other DC characters-Superman,Batman,etc.?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqwWT6WF0EE&t=158s

Astonishing Member

Constantine is now, in fact, the face of DC's magical side, just as Strange plays the same role in Marvel. He has his own solo series (though it is closing, but I think he will get a new one after Future State), he has JLD, he is one of the main characters in DCeased. He was one of the main characters in DCAMU, when Constantine appeared in Legends, he immediately became the main star of this show. And Abrams is now preparing projects for HBO Max about JLD, Zatanna and about him, if I remember correctly.
    His popularity, of course, is incomparable with the main stars, but he is quite a popular character.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Constantine is now, in fact, the face of DC's magical side, just as Strange plays the same role in Marvel. He has his own solo series (though it is closing, but I think he will get a new one after Future State), he has JLD, he is one of the main characters in DCeased. He was one of the main characters in DCAMU, when Constantine appeared in Legends, he immediately became the main star of this show. And Abrams is now preparing projects for HBO Max about JLD, Zatanna and about him, if I remember correctly.
    His popularity, of course, is incomparable with the main stars, but he is quite a popular character.
    Was just wondering if he could become more mainstream like the others since magical characters-for whatever reason-don't seem to sell comic books but are popular in t.v. and movies.

Incredible Member

Sorry if it seemed like I didn't want to talk about the stories. I would love to especially if there's any huge Constantine fans that could fill in anything they may have left out of the video.
    Or just want to talk about it because they love the character(s). Since I was never a huge reader of Hellblazer.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

The latest Constantine Hellblazer book is cancelled which sucks because it is the best Constantine run in years.

I think if the supposed JJ Abrams Constantine show can capture the complexity of the character then I could really see him catching a wider following although I could also him not catching on because Constantine is a Byronic hero.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ByronicHero

I think you need a really talented and charismatic actor to pull off a character in that mold and have audiences still like them.
    Last edited by chamber-music; 10-28-2020 at 09:27 AM.