Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Hey, Eternal Torment. Been a while. ^_^

Sadly, we don't actually HAVE good feats for Takeru. He takes out a half-dozen thugs armed with knives absolutely contemptuously at the start of the movie, but that's nothing any better than his younger brothers do. And aside from that...what we have his that he was the guy who trained both of his younger brothers, and Tatsuya noting that he's even stronger than they are.

Okay, he has one heck of a damage soak feat where he stands in front of a dozen Kuryu guys shooting at him with various weapons including an automatic rifle, gets filled full of bullets, and still guns them all down with his pistol before collapsing.

Buuuuut...that's all. One of the reasons I never got into discussing him here.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Hey, Eternal Torment. Been a while. ^_^

Sadly, we don't actually HAVE good feats for Takeru. He takes out a half-dozen thugs armed with knives absolutely contemptuously at the start of the movie, but that's nothing any better than his younger brothers do. And aside from that...what we have his that he was the guy who trained both of his younger brothers, and Tatsuya noting that he's even stronger than they are.

Okay, he has one heck of a damage soak feat where he stands in front of a dozen Kuryu guys shooting at him with various weapons including an automatic rifle, gets filled full of bullets, and still guns them all down with his pistol before collapsing.

Buuuuut...that's all. One of the reasons I never got into discussing him here.
    Hey, Sharp. Yeah, hope you've been well.

And yeah, figures. I guess it's a lot of implied powerscaling but nothing that actually lives up to the hype, except maybe for the crazy soak. I guess it would've been too much to have him alive for the conflict with Kuryu because three Amamiyas would stack the odds too high in favour of the protagonists.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Torment View Post
    Hey, Sharp. Yeah, hope you've been well.
    Ups and downs - more ups than downs, so that's positive! ^_^

Hopefully the same for you, despite these trying times.

And yeah, figures. I guess it's a lot of implied powerscaling but nothing that actually lives up to the hype, except maybe for the crazy soak. I guess it would've been too much to have him alive for the conflict with Kuryu because three Amamiyas would stack the odds too high in favour of the protagonists.
    I suspect you're right. I mean...the Amamiyas treat guys with guns like garbage so long as they're close enough to them. They beat up 100 tough gang members without really breaking a sweat. They, Kohaku, and Tsukumo are explicitly superhuman in their feats and kick all heck out of scores of knife-armed gangsters in an extended fight without taking a single injury.

That's bad enough.

Plus, I figure the writers wanted the tragedy.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Incredible Member

Ups and downs - more ups than downs, so that's positive! ^_^

Hopefully the same for you, despite these trying times.
    Oh, thereabouts. Thanks! At least we've reached some stability, eh?

I suspect you're right. I mean...the Amamiyas treat guys with guns like garbage so long as they're close enough to them. They beat up 100 tough gang members without really breaking a sweat. They, Kohaku, and Tsukumo are explicitly superhuman in their feats and kick all heck out of scores of knife-armed gangsters in an extended fight without taking a single injury.

That's bad enough.

Plus, I figure the writers wanted the tragedy.
    Yeah, some pathos to the story. Of course, with the direction things are taking, I'm not sure where the series can go from here. Yeah, perhaps Oya High can carry a third movie, but what then? The overarching plot with Bulge has to pay off eventually, and I'm not sure if they can go back to using SWORD's gang leaders. Narratively speaking, they had their moment, and the biggest heavy hitters rode off into the sunset. I guess Fujio and Rusty could replace Murayama and Smokey respectively, but Cobra's an adult now, I have no idea about Daruma Ikka's boys in general, and the actor that played Rocky made a graceful retirement from the entertainment industry because he came to terms with not having the physical stamina to keep touring with Exile Tribe. Well, I guess Koo could do the leading if they'd use White Rascals again.

Yeah, some pathos to the story. Of course, with the direction things are taking, I'm not sure where the series can go from here. Yeah, perhaps Oya High can carry a third movie, but what then? The overarching plot with Bulge has to pay off eventually, and I'm not sure if they can go back to using SWORD's gang leaders. Narratively speaking, they had their moment, and the biggest heavy hitters rode off into the sunset. I guess Fujio and Rusty could replace Murayama and Smokey respectively, but Cobra's an adult now, I have no idea about Daruma Ikka's boys in general, and the actor that played Rocky made a graceful retirement from the entertainment industry because he came to terms with not having the physical stamina to keep touring with Exile Tribe. Well, I guess Koo could do the leading if they'd use White Rascals again.
    Well, they've moved on to H&L The Worst, with the link being Murayama moving on from his roots in the first movie. As you say, the SWORD stuff is finished, the Mighty Warriors have taken over Kuryu as of 2021 (shown in the Warrior's Anthem video), so fictionally speaking that story is complete. And, also as you say, the actors have mostly moved on. I mean, it's close to 10 years later.

I was surprised to hear that Rocky's actor has retired from entertainment at the age of 22, but then...I look at the music videos, and the dancing they do is both easily at the top of level of K-pop group stuff AND more hyperkinetic than most of the stuff I've seen. I can see him burning out, with that kind of work and also the hours, the touring, etc.

I do recall in DTC they were kind of setting things up for the SWORD story to sort of continue with the younger group - DTC, SMG, the young guys in Daruma, etc - but that seems to have faded away and been replaced by H&L: The Worst.

All-in-all, it's not a bad ending, going out on a bang - Final Mission wasn't the most awesome movie ever, but it finished up the series, and Murayama's departure in The Worst really summed up how everyone was finally moving on. Better than the whole thing just fading away without some conclusion. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

That’s an interesting find. Thanks, Guy a lot of that stuff is clearly mid production, or just post production ended up on the cutting room floor. Interesting to see, and it really fills it out more.

I have the series, but even the series doesn’t have that much detail in the fight. Thanks - I think I’ll steal that. ^_^
    Why are we here?

That’s an interesting find. Thanks, Guy a lot of that stuff is clearly mid production, or just post production ended up on the cutting room floor. Interesting to see, and it really fills it out more.

I have the series, but even the series doesn’t have that much detail in the fight. Thanks - I think I’ll steal that. ^_^
    You're welcome, Sharp! Glad you liked it!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Incredible Member

Well, they've moved on to H&L The Worst, with the link being Murayama moving on from his roots in the first movie. As you say, the SWORD stuff is finished, the Mighty Warriors have taken over Kuryu as of 2021 (shown in the Warrior's Anthem video), so fictionally speaking that story is complete. And, also as you say, the actors have mostly moved on. I mean, it's close to 10 years later.

I was surprised to hear that Rocky's actor has retired from entertainment at the age of 22, but then...I look at the music videos, and the dancing they do is both easily at the top of level of K-pop group stuff AND more hyperkinetic than most of the stuff I've seen. I can see him burning out, with that kind of work and also the hours, the touring, etc.

I do recall in DTC they were kind of setting things up for the SWORD story to sort of continue with the younger group - DTC, SMG, the young guys in Daruma, etc - but that seems to have faded away and been replaced by H&L: The Worst.

All-in-all, it's not a bad ending, going out on a bang - Final Mission wasn't the most awesome movie ever, but it finished up the series, and Murayama's departure in The Worst really summed up how everyone was finally moving on. Better than the whole thing just fading away without some conclusion. ^_^
    Yeah, it could have been a worse ending. And hey, at least Genji is probably done for. Unless he just booked it after the Amamiya left the scene. Which to be fair, could be pretty fun if he showed up again in The Worst without his sword and literal dozens of students had to throw themselves at him to slow him down.

Yeah, it could have been a worse ending. And hey, at least Genji is probably done for. Unless he just booked it after the Amamiya left the scene. Which to be fair, could be pretty fun if he showed up again in The Worst without his sword and literal dozens of students had to throw themselves at him to slow him down.
    Given his demonstrated power and soak, dozens - plural - sounds like a good starting point. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    You're welcome, Sharp! Glad you liked it!
    It was good stuff, and it did inspire me to do a little more searching.

And lo, look what I have discovered! The uncut version of the fight between Hiroto and Ice, as they originally intended it to go.

With the expanded fight, it's very clear Ice is pushing Hiroto hard, very hard, through much of the fight - he's taking some hits but weathering them, while landing more hits on Hiroto, actually manhandling him at one point, clinching and throwing knee after knee while Hiroto can do nothing but defend, etc.

It's only when Hiroto starts reading him better, getting a good grasp of HOW Ice fights, that he starts getting in some good combos then lands a big hit of his own, and from there on it's clear the fight swings back toward even, perhaps a little in Hiroto's favor (Ice looks marginally more beat up at the end of it...maybe).

I am now 100% confident in saying that Ice would be a nice, even fight for everyone on the top tier, and wreck anyone below that. He doesn't just equal Hiroto in speed and skill, he shows power and toughness as well.

Edit: Amusingly, if this is from 'deleted scenes' in the blu-ray...I actually HAVE the (Japanese) blu-ray now, all of them, for these little trinkets. Should check each blu-ray out and see.

Edit Edit: Why did they cut this fight so heavily? Arrgh.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 01-08-2024 at 09:42 AM.
    Why are we here?