Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    Well, since there is a lot being said of the series...Just gonna throw a random gang focused amv.

Why Daruma Ikka? Other than the kickass theme like the rest of the gangs, I find personally a soft spot on the way Hyuga rides into battle (laid back on the hood of a moving stylish convertible...Dammmnnnnn).

...But yeah, the theme song is awesome. >_>
    Huh.

Now that you mention it, I wonder if Jinyu's preferred method of travel in FLCL was a shout-out to that.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

...Damn it Hyuga. Just sitting there while the car is literally on its side. XD

It's like a bunch of baby Ramas.

Another gang centered video, the White Rascals.

...This damn theme song is so catchy....
    Last edited by Iron_Twister; 11-20-2020 at 04:32 PM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Going to watch these tonight; love the WR theme!
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Okay, the White Rascals vid was awesome. The scene at 0:50 where Rocky says ‘Party time’, the shot of Rocky where he’s just a silhouette with the hair, shades, and grill...all with the fantastic music. Heck, there’s even Kaito and Kizzy hanging off each other in a few shots.

Similarly the Daruma/Hyuga one. Great shots...even has the Murayama/Hyuga confrontation.

Good stuff.

On a side note, ordered the soundtrack yesterday.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Awesome, the music really hypes everything. Though yeah, that is part of the intention of the series to showcase all those guys.

Awesome, the music really hypes everything. Though yeah, that is part of the intention of the series to showcase all those guys.
    Truth.

Just watched Final Mission again. Gawd, Hyuga lounging on top of a speeding car that's up on two wheels...the guy. ^_^

Man, watching that scene, where every gang leader talks about their gang/philosophy going into the final fight, and how they all show their differences while agreeing with each other...good stuff.

Murayama looks particularly awesome in his scene when talking about him and his people, and their point of view. Were I not straight, I’d be on team Murayama. ^_^ Dude makes me laugh with delight. <— this is what I get for posting when tipsy. ^_^
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 11-21-2020 at 09:52 AM.
    Why are we here?

So, for those who care (Iron and potentially Guy1), I've kind of put together a preliminary list of the various rankings in the High&Low main franchise, as I see them (I'm not including The Worst, there simply hasn't been enough of that out and the characters tend to be less-strong with less clear-cut feats).

1. Kohaku, Misaki Amamiya, Hiroto Amamiya, Ice (?), Genji
    .a. All those in this group are basically superhuman on a level we don’t see from the others, or (in Ice’s case) capable of fighting 100% evenly with a character in this group. Or both (Masaki and Kohaku, as an example)
    2. Tsukumo
    3. Cobra, Jesse, Ranmaru (?)
    4. Rocky, Smoky, Murayama, presumably Hyuga (he gets here on presentation), Sera, potentially Bernie, 9, and Pearl (the other Mighty Warriors, though I’d likely put them slightly below the rest of this group)
    5. Yamato, Todoroki, Takeshi, Kizzy+Kaito <-- I would love to have one from each gang, but the Daruma Ikki boys just don't DO a lot.
    6. Most other name-level characters to varying degrees
    .a. Furuya – honorable mention for his toughness and strength
    .b. Yu – honorable mention for being a hilarious lunatic
    7. Seki, who kinda sucks, but is still well-above the common hordlings of the gangs.

Discuss!

Edit: to throw on top of this, I recently watched 'The Red Rain' again. Seeing as it's basically the movie about the Amamiyas, I was struck by a number of things they chose to do.

1. The Amamiyas display a complete lack of concern toward any of their opponents, no matter how many they are or what kind of melee weapons they happen to be carrying. The ONLY time there is any real threat toward them is when firearms come into play, and even then they're only worried about the guns when the shooters are distant from them. Up close? Again, it's nothing. This is in stark contrast to the lower level fighters, who often need to be wary of armed attackers, take hits, etc.

2. Without a single exception, every fight in The Red Rain showcases the Amamiyas moving with little bursts of impossible speed. It's done by speeding up the video when the Amamiyas act, over and over, and leaving it at normal speed otherwise. Ie, someone will throw a punch at one of them, and the instant before the punch hits everything gets sped up and the Amamiya evades and hits back at ridiculous speed. At first I thought it was in order to film the fights slowly, then speed them up so that the actors looked good (which...looks awful), but after this rewatch I realized it wasn't the case. It's done all through all of the fights, and only when the Amamiyas act, and it speeds them up FASTER than humans can move. Basically, it's camerawork that's meant to say 'look, these guys are superhuman, this is how fast they are.' Which is upheld by them blitzing, aim-dodging, running up the near-vertical floor of a falling van, that kind of thing.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 05-18-2021 at 10:26 AM.
    Why are we here?

I can get behind that list. I gotta agree that Ice is an iffy case since the dude just dominates and it's only against a top tier in this case Hiroto that he gets to mostly trading blows where neither side really seems to struggle. Like dead even. Similar to the Mighty Warriors in general as the narrative does imply they're a cut above the SWORD gangs (with the exception of leaders) and operate as mercenaries of sorts. Like Sara (the sole female in the gang) wiped the floor against most of the White Rascals (there could be a reasoning they didn't exactly try as hard since they're mostly protectors of women but given the rest of her fights, I doubt that) and Ryu (the sword guy) nearly killed Smokey though frankly Smokey was afflicted by his illness quite badly at that point. So the Mighty Warriors are like Ice in sorta iffy on clear cut feats but what they had should be enough to say they're very good at what they do.

The Worst Characters are...Yeah, they're in the vein of side characters given spotlight compared to the gangs in the main story. Like Oya in that area barring Murayama and his guys aren't bad but I can't see them alone taking on any main story gang for the time being. I mean Housen is an actual high school with teens and they wrecked Worst's Oya tbh with Todoroki being the only clear cut superior fighter.

I'll probably add more soon. I just got work coming up.

I edited in some stuff in the post above while you were posting - some interesting things I noticed while watching The Red Rain. I'll copy it out again below.

I can get behind that list. I gotta agree that Ice is an iffy case since the dude just dominates and it's only against a top tier in this case Hiroto that he gets to mostly trading blows where neither side really seems to struggle. Like dead even. Similar to the Mighty Warriors in general as the narrative does imply they're a cut above the SWORD gangs (with the exception of leaders) and operate as mercenaries of sorts. Like Sara (the sole female in the gang) wiped the floor against most of the White Rascals (there could be a reasoning they didn't exactly try as hard since they're mostly protectors of women but given the rest of her fights, I doubt that) and Ryu (the sword guy) nearly killed Smokey though frankly Smokey was afflicted by his illness quite badly at that point. So the Mighty Warriors are like Ice in sorta iffy on clear cut feats but what they had should be enough to say they're very good at what they do.
    Ice...agreed with him being on the level of the top guys. As you say, him versus Hiroto is dead even, and he never for a second struggles against any other groups of people he fights.

The Mighty Warriors, same deal - we see them basically cakewalking through groups of people effortlessly, turning the tide of massive fights all by themselves, fighting against name-level people (like Cobra) and not getting whupped on. Sera (I know, Sarah/Sara, but it's spelled Se-ee-ra, so I go with Sera), herself, casually beats up Koo as one of the people she just smashes her way through in one of her fights (she basically sends him flying while beating up other no-names), and one-punches/kicks craptons of people while never getting touched. Which would be why I put her up on roughly the equal of the leaders as a stand-out member of the MW. She treats 'normal' name-level characters like a speedbump.

Ryu is actually one of the reasons I would consider Smokey to be almost better than the other, non-Cobra gang leaders; Smokey (when in good shape) treats Yamato like utter trash, and even when sick and weakened, fights against Ryu when Ryu is armed with a short-sword, avoids all of his attacks for a while, and belts him a couple of times before, thanks to Smokey actually needing to fight peons as well as Ryu simultaneously, Ryu manages to cut Smokey up. Short-sword against bare hands.

Ryu I give top pointers because from what he and Genji talk about, Ryu fought Genji (presumably with weapons, sparring), and won. Not saying he could beat Genji in a full-on, no-holds barred to the death fight (probably not), but still.

The other MW - Bernie, 9, Pearl - maybe leader-level, maybe just below that but potentially above the really good name-level characters, if there's space. ^_^

The Worst Characters are...Yeah, they're in the vein of side characters given spotlight compared to the gangs in the main story. Like Oya in that area barring Murayama and his guys aren't bad but I can't see them alone taking on any main story gang for the time being. I mean Housen is an actual high school with teens and they wrecked Worst's Oya tbh with Todoroki being the only clear cut superior fighter.

I'll probably add more soon. I just got work coming up.
    Agreed. Really like the Worst, but it's just not on the same level as the main series in terms of oomph.

To repeat my comments above in case you missed them.

I recently watched 'The Red Rain' again. Seeing as it's basically the movie about the Amamiyas, I was struck by a couple of things they chose to do with the characters in that movie.

1. The Amamiyas display a complete lack of concern toward any of their opponents, no matter how many they are or what kind of melee weapons they happen to be carrying. The ONLY time there is any real threat toward them is when firearms come into play, and even then they're only worried about the guns when the shooters are distant from them. Up close? Again, it's nothing. This is in stark contrast to the lower level fighters, who often need to be wary of armed attackers, take hits, etc. Basically, they chose to make the movie 'Amamiyas versus firearms' because...nothing else makes sense. We already know they find 100 gang members to be a decent warm-up to a real fight.

2. Without a single exception, every fight in The Red Rain showcases the Amamiyas moving with little bursts of impossible speed. It's done by speeding up the video when the Amamiyas act, over and over, and leaving it at normal speed otherwise. Ie, someone will throw a punch at one of them, and the instant before the punch hits everything gets sped up and the Amamiya evades and hits back at ridiculous speed. At first I thought it was in order to film the fights slowly, then speed them up so that the actors looked good (which.tends to look awful, Steven Seagal I'm lookin' at you), but after this rewatch I realized it wasn't the case. It's done all through all of the fights, and only when the Amamiyas act (and even in very basic ways), and it speeds them up FASTER than humans can move. Basically, it's camerawork that's meant to say 'look, these guys are superhuman, this is how fast they are.' Which is upheld by them blitzing, aim-dodging, running up the near-vertical floor of a falling van, that kind of thing.

Side note: Just watched some Mighty Warriors stuff again, from their short movie, and Ryu kicks someone in the head hard enough to flip them about 270 degrees in the air. Granted, he was actually serious and this was with a kick, so it's not a match for Hiroto, but still...

Another side note: The Amamiyas and Mighty Warriors are basically the only groups who give no shits about killing people. Mighty Warriors have (as you noted) have actually worked as mercs in hotspots in other areas of the world, and when facing firearms the Amamiyas don't hesitate one moment wrt snapping necks and using their enemies' guns against them. It's nothing to them.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 05-18-2021 at 11:09 AM.
    Why are we here?

Yeah, overtime I'm just not surprised with the Amamiya Bros just coming in and...Well, just trash about anyone that opposes them. Like the Mighty Warriors, they show up and immediately the battle shifts to whoever they're helping out.

Kohaku in the meantime is a physical monster given that he just tosses people around like rags, trade blows against the Amamiyas when frankly no one else can and trade blows with Genji to the point it's like two Terminators breaking stuff around them and not caring at all. And Kohaku doesn't have a backstory to explain this unless I am forgetting something (otherwise, he's just a biker enthusiast who created a gang with his best friend just so they can keep on biking).

Genji...Well, it's Genji. If he made both Kohaku and the Amamiya work it, then he's top as it is. Haha.

Tsukumo is definitely in that position where he's solid against everyone but those guys above who easily take him out with ease. Only serves to show that ridiculous gap of strength.

Agreed with all of the above.

I feel Kohaku isn't shown to be QUITE as fast as the Amamiyas, nor as skilled, but gets by because he's so damn strong and tough; when fighting Masaki, Kohaku grabs him (by throat or jacket) and starts with the hitting (though there's Masaki, giving as good as he gets). He's certainly fast enough to join Masaki in the 'run up the falling van' feat. O_o He busts through iron pipes in the multiples, he picks up a wooden pallet with one hand and uses it to hold off five or six people, he throws someone (one-handed) like a bowling ball so they slide along the floor about 20' (this is impossible for a human do to) and take out people they run into...

He's not THAT much stronger than the Amamiyas, but I'd bet he has a strength edge and a toughness edge. They get the speed and skill edge.

Genji certain looks to be a little above Kohaku empty hands (at least tougher and stronger by a hint, though maybe not as skilled with empty hands). With a sword, he just becomes ludicrously dangerous. Though it's interesting to note that once the Amamiyas worked out how to deal with the sword - effectively giving themselves weapons, though not edged ones, Genji still had a better weapon than them - they utterly crushed him in seconds. The Amamiyas seem to be ridiculously coordinated fighters when they're together.

Tsukumo, agreed there as well. He can...sort of put up a fight against Kohaku but gets overpowered quickly. He gets whaled on by the Amamiyas. This, despite his truly superhuman feats. The guy kicks cars around, eats car crashes like they're nothing...and gets overpowered and beat up by Kohaku. O_o Then gets overpowered and beat up by Kohaku again when he has Cobra and Yamato for backup. O_o

Also interesting - Masaki and Hiroto are are the only people I've seen break Kohaku's 'I got you by the throat' grab. Kohaku grabs Masaki by the throat (which is pretty much death), Masaki struggles for a second them busts out. Kohaku does it again to Masaki, Hiroto throws Cobra (I think) into him to break the hold. Everyone else Kohaku grabs that way just gets ragdolled; even Yamato and Tsukumo get lifted, spun through the air, and slammed (as I recall).
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 05-18-2021 at 01:12 PM.
    Why are we here?

Kohaku vs Cobra/Yamato/Tsukumo was...Very impressive because the narrative didn't sugarcoat or cushion anything about it being a curbstomp. The Trio were no match against Kohaku in a brawl, period. It was a stomp despite their efforts.

And this was Kohaku being mentally unhinged throughout the film. While Cobra and the crew did win, it's by words...Causes fists were seriously not working since he can punch harder than they can.

Kohaku vs Cobra/Yamato/Tsukumo was...Very impressive because the narrative didn't sugarcoat or cushion anything about it being a curbstomp. The Trio were no match against Kohaku in a brawl, period. It was a stomp despite their efforts.
    Total agreement. They were getting murdered, really (granted, Tsukumo had already been pretty badly messed up by Kohaku and the other two had already been through one fight, but still...three on one, and he was completely dominating them). Basically the only reason they STARTED to be able to do decently against him was Cobra talking about 'comrades in Mugen never abandon each other', which got Kohaku thinking about who he was fighting.

And this was Kohaku being mentally unhinged throughout the film. While Cobra and the crew did win, it's by words...Causes fists were seriously not working since he can punch harder than they can.
    Absolutely. And eat what they throw at him and keep going (cripes, Yamato kicks him in the side of the head at one point, getting all of nothing out of Kohaku other than 'Ah, thank you for giving me your leg, which I will now wrench around then use to throw you through some gigantic speakers'). Which would make me feel very iffy about them being able to take on one of the Amamiyas. Again, the math bears it out! ^_^

Kohaku = 1 Amamiya
    Kohaku > Cobra, Yamato, Tsukumo

Therefore....

Kohaku, Cobra, Yamato, Tsukumo < 2 Amamiya

Which is actually how it all worked out! Maaaan, those writers are good at maths.... ^_^
    Why are we here?