Fantastic Member

Default What happenned to Michael Janin

Such a great artist and he bailed after 1 issue. Any reason given for his swift departure. Perhaps he was unhappy with the scripts?

Extraordinary Member

Nah, he was only slated to do two issues and that's what he did - he was never announced as the new ongoing artist moving forward.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Nah, he was only slated to do two issues and that's what he did - he was never announced as the new ongoing artist moving forward.

I thought he was announced. Why else would we have a rotating pack of artists now rather than a regular artist on this title? I thought he only did one issue. Did he do two?

Extraordinary Member

If you look at the article announcing Tamaki taking over it's pretty clear that Janin would be doing 759+760, which is what he did, not that he was the new artist moving forward. For whatever reason the rotating artists seems to have been the plan from the beginning.

Plus if you look at this interview with Janin he seems pretty complimentary of Tamaki so I really don't think he was dissatisfied with the scripts and walked off the book.

Fantastic Member

If you look at the article announcing Tamaki taking over it's pretty clear that Janin would be doing 759+760, which is what he did, not that he was the new artist moving forward. For whatever reason the rotating artists seems to have been the plan from the beginning.

Plus if you look at this interview with Janin he seems pretty complimentary of Tamaki so I really don't think he was dissatisfied with the scripts and walked off the book.
    I guess this is the part that threw me off as to him being the new artist:

Acclaimed artist Mikel Janin teases his upcoming run with Mariko Tamaki on Wonder Woman, with exclusive preview pages.

Fantastic Member

Acclaimed artist Mikel Janin teases his upcoming run with Mariko Tamaki on Wonder Woman, with exclusive preview

Two issues isn't really a run.

Quote Originally Posted by gbshabo View Post

Acclaimed artist Mikel Janin teases his upcoming run with Mariko Tamaki on Wonder Woman, with exclusive preview
    One should always read marketing stuff with at least two grains of salt. Preferably more. The people writing copy or blurbs are often far from the decisions.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Janin was used as the bait and switch. DC knows he is popular and will pull people in.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

They should get Carmen Carnero back as the regular artist, or David Marquez. Get some hot talent on this trinity character.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 10-31-2020 at 06:18 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Janin was used as the bait and switch. DC knows he is popular and will pull people in.
    Nail on head. TBH, I'm kinda sick of "hot" artists sticking around for only an arc to drum up interest only to disappear the next to make room for an inferior artist.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Nail on head. TBH, I'm kinda sick of "hot" artists sticking around for only an arc to drum up interest only to disappear the next to make room for an inferior artist.

Yeah, I'm quite sick of this bait & switch as well. What happened to artists that did 2, 3, or even 5 year runs on a title?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Yeah, I'm quite sick of this bait & switch as well. What happened to artists that did 2, 3, or even 5 year runs on a title?
    These days, they only do that if the title is Batman...

I thought the guy who drew Orlando's Annual #4 was pretty great! His name escapes me at the moment, but I prefer him to Barberi's Bratz-doll-inspired look by a long shot.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Yeah, I'm not usually one to complain about artist switches on a book but these rotating artists have been killing my excitement for the book as much as the writer shake ups.

After Future State I'd like to get Joelle Jones on the book for about 30 issues. She'd draw a kick ass Diana and I like how she writes.