Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Key phrase though: "If they wanted." Would they even want to at this point?
    Hell no, of course not, Peter will be back in high school first.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

There’s not a person alive that wants the Peter/MJ marriage to return more than me. For the longest time I thought it would be impossible but Spencer seems to be inching towards that. Does that mean it will happen? Of course not because Marvel seems very content on making Peter younger and younger. However, this end of an era being teased has me curious. Hopefully they are talking about the end of this entire OMD era. I would love nothing more then for this Kindred story to somehow be connected to OMD and for everything to come full circle.

Wishful thinking I know...but hey, we’ve had Spider-Man make deals with the “devil” before so stranger things have definitely happened....

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    There’s not a person alive that wants the Peter/MJ marriage to return more than me. For the longest time I thought it would be impossible but Spencer seems to be inching towards that. Does that mean it will happen? Of course not because Marvel seems very content on making Peter younger and younger. However, this end of an era being teased has me curious. Hopefully they are talking about the end of this entire OMD era. I would love nothing more then for this Kindred story to somehow be connected to OMD and for everything to come full circle.

Wishful thinking I know...but hey, we’ve had Spider-Man make deals with the “devil” before so stranger things have definitely happened....
    The only thing I want more than the marriage to return in the comics is to get a proper adult Spider-Man adaptation in the movies. Completely disregard current MCU, start with Peter graduating college and entering life in the real world. Do stuff like Kraven's Last Hunt, The Wedding, Venom, Carnage, Death of Harry Osborn, Clone Saga, etc... lol. Maybe even have a Spider-Girl spin off movie series. Get a cast and crew who brings the comic characters to life faithfully. Ever since I was a kid dreaming of Spidey on the big screen I always wanted to see *MY* era of the comics adapted but I have a feeling with the way things are going that's not going to happen.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 10-22-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    It's not quite the same thing.

DC practises Alternate Universe rules. What that means is there isn't a single continuity going directly to the character's first appearance that you have with Marvel? Superman exists in different versions rather than a single one. The original Superman by Siegel and Shuster, followed by Silver Age Superman, followed by Post-Crisis Superman, followed by New 52 Superman. All of these are different versions of the character.

Post-Crisis Superman got married but he never had his marriage erased. New 52 happened and his AU was pocketed away. When New 52 became a disaster, they simply brought him back.

In the case of Marvel, they have a single continuity system, so they had to remove the marriage of the existing character. If Spider-Man were DC, what DC would do is replace 616 Married Spider-Man with Ultimate Spider-Man and make Ultimate the default. That's what they would have done.
    I get your points, but still, even after all this time, I want the Spider-Marriage restored!

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    The only thing I want more than the marriage to return in the comics is to get a proper adult Spider-Man adaptation in the movies. Completely disregard current MCU, start with Peter graduating college and entering life in the real world. Do stuff like Kraven's Last Hunt, The Wedding, Venom, Carnage, Death of Harry Osborn, Clone Saga, etc... lol. Maybe even have a Spider-Girl spin off movie series. Get a cast and crew who brings the comic characters to life faithfully. Ever since I was a kid dreaming of Spidey on the big screen I always wanted to see *MY* era of the comics adapted but I have a feeling with the way things are going that's not going to happen.
    That’s definitely not happening. Don’t get me wrong. I feel the exact same way you do. I want my adult mature Spiderman...I’m grown exhausted with the constant need to make Spider-Man as young as possible at every possible turn. While I do love Tom Holland as the character I don’t necessarily care for the young spin on the character in the current MCU. However....There would be a better chance of an animated adult Spider-Man movie instead of a real adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    I get your points, but still, even after all this time, I want the Spider-Marriage restored!
    Trust me...You’re not alone on that one.

Spencer has definitely planted some seeds on his run. Hopefully it isn’t one big massive tease. Marvel must understand by now how popular the marriage is with the the fanbase. I would hate to think that they would just toy with fans by having Peter contemplate proposing and have a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    Trust me...You’re not alone on that one.

Spencer has definitely planted some seeds on his run. Hopefully it isn’t one big massive tease. Marvel must understand by now how popular the marriage is with the the fanbase. I would hate to think that they would just toy with fans by having Peter contemplate proposing and have a ring.
    Well, all three of the most recent pieces of Spider-Media (ITSV, Spider-Man PS4, and even Far From Home) have all featured Peter Parker and Mary Jane (or MJ) in a relationship. I understand that these are mostly Sony productions, but still...if Sony understands her importance like that in a relationship context, Marvel has to be taking notice as well.

I remember Spencer saying at the beginning of his run too that Quesada "gave the ok" for Peter and MJ to get back together, despite the previous arc right before saying otherwise. Is that a plus for Quesada? Nope. But it still gives me some hope.

Well, all three of the most recent pieces of Spider-Media (ITSV, Spider-Man PS4, and even Far From Home) have all featured Peter Parker and Mary Jane (or MJ) in a relationship. I understand that these are mostly Sony productions, but still...if Sony understands her importance like that in a relationship context, Marvel has to be taking notice as well.
    Even the Marvel's Spider-Man cartoon is pairing them together in an overt way, and the Marvel cartoons of late almost never do romance.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Even the Marvel's Spider-Man cartoon is pairing them together in an overt way, and the Marvel cartoons of late almost never do romance.
    Ain't that the truth...
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

I remember Spencer saying at the beginning of his run too that Quesada "gave the ok" for Peter and MJ to get back together, despite the previous arc right before saying otherwise. Is that a plus for Quesada? Nope. But it still gives me some hope.
    Apparently the editorial mandate is that Peter and MJ can't be married, not that they can't be together. I don't know if that was always true or if it just recently changed, but if that's what the mandate was all along, Peter and MJ not being together from 2008-2018 had more to do with Slott than Quesada.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if Quesada loosened up the mandate a bit. As much as I dislike Quesada's vision of Spider-Man, he does put business above his personal preferences. If the lack of a Peter-and-MJ relationship hurt ASM's sales, I could see him being less antagonistic towards the relationship.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 10-23-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Mighty Member

Do you think after 58, marvel will restart this to 1 or keep going in number

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Apparently the editorial mandate is that Peter and MJ can't be married, not that they can't be together. I don't know if that was always true or if it just recently changed, but if that's what the mandate was all along, Peter and MJ not being together from 2008-2018 had more to do with Slott than Quesada.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if Quesada loosened up the mandate a bit. As much as I dislike Quesada's vision of Spider-Man, he does put business above his personal preferences. If the lack of a Peter-and-MJ relationship hurt ASM's sales, I could see him being less antagonistic towards the relationship.
    The thing is, even with the marriage removed, the cartoons and movies continue to be on a different wavelength than the comics. My impression of the mandate was to force Spider-Man in the comics to "represent youth".

Now, in movies and cartoons Spider-Man clearly does "represent youth." I do wonder how much Quesada had influence on media and cartoons to adapt a younger version of the character. He was heavily involved in the direction outside media portrayed Spider-man. But it just goes to show that the comics and outside media continue to be for very different audiences, even with the mandate in place....

So my point is, if outside media isn't linking to the comics anyway, why do they need to force only the aspect of whether Spider-man is married or not in the comics?

If their goal was to create a corporate branding of a young Spider-Man, you would think the comics and cartoons/movies would adapt the same version of the character to unify the vision, but they don't. So what is the point in the mandate if the two adaptations are so far apart anyway?
    Last edited by Vortex85; 10-23-2020 at 09:04 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    Do you think after 58, marvel will restart this to 1 or keep going in number
    Theyd only reset back to #1 if a new creative team comes in, with Spencer still being here it will continue onwards, with likely a new big subplot following Kindred's defeat. (kinda leaning towards Norman's ESB plot in his lab being a part of this if it doesnt occur in Last Remains)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkalamari View Post
    Theyd only reset back to #1 if a new creative team comes in, with Spencer still being here it will continue onwards, with likely a new big subplot following Kindred's defeat. (kinda leaning towards Norman's ESB plot in his lab being a part of this if it doesnt occur in Last Remains)
    They reset to #1 2 or 3 times when Slott wrote the book. So it doesn't seem to be tied directly to a new creative team coming in. They do that for shorter runs, but longer runs seem to be able to get into #1's before create team shifts, and maybe tied to more character direction shifts.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    The thing is, even with the marriage removed, the cartoons and movies continue to be on a different wavelength than the comics. My impression of the mandate was to force Spider-Man in the comics to "represent youth".

Now, in movies and cartoons Spider-Man clearly does "represent youth." I do wonder how much Quesada had influence on media and cartoons to adapt a younger version of the character. He was heavily involved in the direction outside media portrayed Spider-man. But it just goes to show that the comics and outside media continue to be for very different audiences, even with the mandate in place....

So my point is, if outside media isn't linking to the comics anyway, why do they need to force only the aspect of whether Spider-man is married or not in the comics?

If their goal was to create a corporate branding of a young Spider-Man, you would think the comics and cartoons/movies would adapt the same version of the character to unify the vision, but they don't. So what is the point in the mandate if the two adaptations are so far apart anyway?
    He was heavily involved in the cartoons and not that involved in the Sony projects. That's probably why ITSV and the video games feature an older Spider-Man.

The comics kinda have to feature a Spider-Man out of high school simply due to the nature of 616 time, but post-OMD Spidey is still played up as a relatively young guy still trying to find himself (even though the execution isn't always good). That's still consistent with the "represents youth" thing.

MCU Spider-Man is more complicated. I do think Quesada paved the way for him, but a direct cause or influence over Holland's Spider-Man? That I don't think he is. I attribute MCU Spider-Man being the way he is more to bad timing, corporate politics, and writers who don't get Spider-Man (including the Russos, sadly).

Also, Spider-Man absolutely represents youth. It just doesn't mean what Quesada thinks it means.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 10-23-2020 at 09:43 AM.