Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Apple snags Charlie Brown Specials! No more network airings!

For the first time charlie brown will not be getting a rock or learning about christmas on network tv. Christmas special has been on the air starting in the 60s! Now apple has them streaming only on apple tv.

I was wondering why abc had not aired it yet.

Plus with places like hulu and sling blocking out the cbs specials like frosty the era of prime time specials really are crashing down on network tv.

https://www.adweek.com/tv-video/appl...ls-new-series/

So better get out your dvd copy or digital copy from vudu to watch charlie brown get a rock for halloween this year. (or get apple tv.)

The good old days.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

And this is why God gave us physical media.

You don't have to justify your DVD collection every time something is posted about streaming, andrewcrossett.

While it's a shame these won't be on tv anymore, but I doubt it really matters to children these days.

The networks were treating them like they only aired them as a requirement the last few years anyway. Editing them down so they could fit in more commercials and airing them earlier and earlier so they weren't even near the holidays they were celebrating. I think last year the Christmas one aired, like, a week after Thanksgiving. Apple showed it cared more about the specials in their ad announcing it than the networks have in years.

If you want to talk about "get your DVD" maybe we can talk about how apparently Apple now has all the specials, many of which were never even released on DVD. Unless you have one of the long out of print VHS copies, you were never even going to see a portion of these ever again.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member

Very sad.

While I agree that they edited them too much for extra commercials, it was still nice to know that those three specials would appear on network tv every year (to HUGE ratings).

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    If you want to talk about "get your DVD" maybe we can talk about how apparently Apple now has all the specials, many of which were never even released on DVD. Unless you have one of the long out of print VHS copies, you were never even going to see a portion of these ever again.
    I remember one where they go on a rafting trip. Saw it on TV once as a kid, and never again. (I've since seen it again, but not on TV.)

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    You don't have to justify your DVD collection every time something is posted about streaming, andrewcrossett.
    I don't HAVE to, but I will. At least when there's a post that backs up my position so perfectly.

While it's a shame these won't be on tv anymore, but I doubt it really matters to children these days.
    It certainly won't now.

I remember one where they go on a rafting trip. Saw it on TV once as a kid, and never again. (I've since seen it again, but not on TV.)
    It was "Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown", one of the few actual movies they did and not just a TV special. Luckily that was one of the ones that was released on DVD.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Race for your life charlie brown was the third big-screen peanuts film. They did 5 big screen movies.

[IMG][/IMG]

Charlie brown had the highest rating every year. Even last year they did great. That's why they air frosty three times a year now. They get big ratings.

NCIS big final was crushed by charlie brown!

https://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...rown-christmas

This is of course why apple wanted them. Downside is if it's shoved off to a less used netlfix like service kids may never grow up on it and it will be lost like the garfield specials. Apple had the digital copies for sale removed also! If you bought it before you are fine but right now you can't buy charlie brown christmas on the digital sites! We didn't know why they were removed.

Now we know why.

That last bit is the part I dislike. I don't mind Apple taking it to streaming, but I dislike removing the option to purchase it, so I have to subscribe to your service. Which I won't.

It may return for sale later. Transformers the movie 86 was removed then returned months later.

Thumbs up

A sad day. I haven't watched in many years yet I know people, several of them elderly, who look forward to watching the specials each holiday season.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

I know this is an odd question, but it's always bothered me. And when Joker asked about the rafting one, I thought I'd put it out there.

There was one Peanuts special that had the gang going to a mall or a department store and riding the escalator. They were shopping for something. Does anyone else remember this and what special it was on? Maybe Valentine's Day or Mother's Day?

Okay, left out of this discussion so far, Apple are making the holiday specials free to stream, no subscription required, for a few days surrounding each corresponding holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    There was one Peanuts special that had the gang going to a mall or a department store and riding the escalator. They were shopping for something. Does anyone else remember this and what special it was on? Maybe Valentine's Day or Mother's Day?
    I think it was the Easter one. They go to a department store where Snoopy is looking to buy a birdhouse for Woodstock. There is a big production scene where Snoopy looks into a fancy mechanical Easter egg and sees himself dancing with a bunch of rabbits.