Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

how many new specials have been done in the past 30+ years? Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    For the first time charlie brown will not be getting a rock or learning about christmas on network tv. Christmas special has been on the air starting in the 60s! Now apple has them streaming only on apple tv.

I was wondering why abc had not aired it yet.

Plus with places like hulu and sling blocking out the cbs specials like frosty the era of prime time specials really are crashing down on network tv.

https://www.adweek.com/tv-video/appl...ls-new-series/

So better get out your dvd copy or digital copy from vudu to watch charlie brown get a rock for halloween this year. (or get apple tv.)

The good old days.

Thanks for posting this, Gaastra. I myself wondered why it was not yet on and thought that they were either gonna skip it this year, or show it on Halloween.

Now I know not to even look for it!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Its sad really to see a company do this and take something that generations of people watched for 50+ years to try and sell a streaming service. I hope it backfires in epic fashion on Apple.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Schulz was never against turning a profit on these characters.

Apple are making them free for anyone to watch during the corresponding holiday.

I'm not sure it's actually the big deal it's being made to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    how many new specials have been done in the past 30+ years? Just wondering.
    30 years would put us at 1990, so since then there's been 13 specials, 2 shows and a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I know this is an odd question, but it's always bothered me. And when Joker asked about the rafting one, I thought I'd put it out there.

There was one Peanuts special that had the gang going to a mall or a department store and riding the escalator. They were shopping for something. Does anyone else remember this and what special it was on? Maybe Valentine's Day or Mother's Day?
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I think it was the Easter one. They go to a department store where Snoopy is looking to buy a birdhouse for Woodstock. There is a big production scene where Snoopy looks into a fancy mechanical Easter egg and sees himself dancing with a bunch of rabbits.
    Yep, that would be It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

I watch them on DVD now, so this won't affect me much, but still, more options are better then fewer.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    You don't have to justify your DVD collection every time something is posted about streaming, andrewcrossett.

While it's a shame these won't be on tv anymore, but I doubt it really matters to children these days.
    I agree that most kids today could care less about Charlie Brown. As for the specials, I'm of the opinion they're more for the benefit of adults reliving their childhood than anything else. As for myself, I haven't watched any of them for more than twenty years and, to be perfectly honest, I haven't missed them.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

This much to do about nothing in my opinion, I think Apple got the wrong idea about it. This product is loved because it is shown every year on TV like a tradition, Without that tradition it will just fade away. The actually smart move is to have still play on TV once. Someone will create a new special and take place.For example they play a Christmas story, Miracle on 34 street and Its a wonderful life because they are classic but it is not like Elf, The Santa Clause, Jingle all the way or Home Alone haven't become sort of classic as well. If someone was to buy the rights to the Christmas Story and put it behind of a wall. It isn't like overtime the station that had won't find something people like to replace it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I think it was the Easter one. They go to a department store where Snoopy is looking to buy a birdhouse for Woodstock. There is a big production scene where Snoopy looks into a fancy mechanical Easter egg and sees himself dancing with a bunch of rabbits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Yep, that would be It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown.
    Thank you both. It was one of those things where I kept thinking 'did I imagine that?' LOL

I love the Charlie Brown holiday specials. I grew up on them. I try to watch them every year. It is a tradition I keep for myself.

That said, every year I have to seek them out, because I have not had regular television but a handful of times in the last 20 years. I do not currently have it, or plan to any time soon.

These being with Apple actually means I can easily, and legally watch them for once. It also means I can watch them when I want, and not when they're on the tv I don't have.

“It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” premiered on the streaming service on Oct. 19 and will be available for free from Oct. 30 to Nov. 1.

“A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving” is coming to Apple TV+ on Nov. 18 and will be available for free from Nov. 25 to Nov. 27.

“A Charlie Brown Christmas" will debut on Dec. 4 and will be available for free from Dec. 11 until Dec. 13.

You don't have to pay to watch it, It just won't be on regular TV... I don't watch regular TV anyway and the number of people that actually do is getting smaller and smaller.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 10-21-2020 at 11:08 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    You don't have to pay to watch it, It just won't be on regular TV... I don't watch regular TV anyway and the number of people that actually do is getting smaller and smaller.
    You don't watch any network shows?

It feels like a loss of sorts for those of us who have seen it on network television.

I am unsure if the children of today are into Charlie Brown and specifically those cartoons and if this is a loss to them or not....

The free to stream at a particular window during the appropriate holiday is a really cool move. Even before knowing that though it was hard for me to be mad. The big three networks have been crapping on these classic holiday shows for some time now. Airing them too early, editing them to hell, just a general negligence. Apple wanting these, and then making them free to stream at a particular time in the appropriate holiday, that shows more care than ABC has shown these specials in quite some time.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-21-2020 at 02:03 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

What I derive from this is, "Oh gawd. Not yet another streaming service expecting us to buy it to get the movies and shows we want." Even if this one will be free at Christmas.
    Power with Girl is better.