• positively informs my reading experience

11 14.29%
  • negatively informs my reading experience

5 6.49%
  • I like bananas

32 41.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I like bananas but their high glycemic index make them a problematic food for me.

My reasonably typical old white male self does affect my reading as I am inclined to go outside my comfort zone and box to find stuff the kids are talking about.

Black, male, under 35, it almost never affect my reading and I love bananas.

Superman is my favorite character, the fact that he is white don't change a lot to me, and the idea of racebending, genderbending or any change to the character itself makes me really uncomfortable, to me Superman is what he is and should not be changed. Other characters changing don't bother me that much, because I don't care for them nearly as much as I do for Superman, but to me whenever they make some change to a character it always sound unecessary.

While in the last 3 or 4 years I became aware that almost all of may favorites are white characters and that the reason for that is mainly because the character available to me whiel I was growing up were mostly white, I do realize that for me that ship have sailed.

What I hope happens is that the Big 2 start to create more diverse characters for the next generations of readers, to give them the opportunity to have characters that look and have backgrounds more similar to their own. If DC and Marvel can do that by creating new original characters instead of racebending or replacing existing ones it would be the best outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I hate bananas. My mother fed me bananas when I was very small and I became deathly ill. Since then I have never eaten them (intentionally). If I come near them just the smell makes me sick to my stomach. Sometimes, someone has given me something with banana in it by mistake and I had to hurl it back up. I can't have bananas anywhere near to me and when I buy food at the supermarket, I get very nervous when someone else's bunch of bananas comes near to my purchases on the belt. They are my kryptonite.
    Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    I really wish there was an I hate bananas option. Democracy has failed today.
    it was all an elaborate to scheme to weed out you anti-banana fascist *talks into hidden mic in my collar* we got'em boys, send in the paddy wagon!
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

White
    Male
    I like Bananas

Biracial, so I'm not participating in the poll.
    Under 35.
    And the last time I revealed my gender on a geek forum I was hassled by another poster to "prove it".

I'm used to reading/watching/playing as characters that are not like me, but I wouldn't say it has no impact on my choices.
    I'll read characters that are interesting and not samey. I prefer an underdog, but if not an underdog they need some flaws to balance things out - I can't stand Mary Sues.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Under 35.
    And the last time I revealed my gender on a geek forum I was hassled by another poster to "prove it".

I'm used to reading/watching/playing as characters that are not like me, but I wouldn't say it has no impact on my choices.
    I'll read characters that are interesting and not samey. I prefer an underdog, but if not an underdog they need some flaws to balance things out - I can't stand Mary Sues.
    no prob bob, the poll is multi choice, you can check all that apply

wait, people really be trynna make people prove their identity? it's a geek message board, it ain't that serious. people really be draggin that gatekeeper stuff, I swear.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-20-2020 at 08:11 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Under 35.

I don't like the influx of mary sues lately. It's not even that they're overpowered they're just boring to read.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

I don't like the influx of mary sues lately. It's not even that they're overpowered they're just boring to read.
    which characters would you say are mary sues? and what makes them mary sues?

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    which characters would you say are mary sues? and what makes them mary sues?
    Rey from Star Wars I guess, her personality was like paper and I found Finn more interesting. She stopped being a mary sue in the Last Jedi when they had the conflict about her family and made her lineage unrelated to Skywalkers/Palpatine. Then they had to make her a Palpatine.

Mulan from the 2020 remake is another one. They turned chi into the Jedi force and had Mulan lose everything that made her growth more compelling in the original.

I've seen movies were a badass female character was done right(Atomic Blonde) but these two aren't one of them.

no prob bob, the poll is multi choice, you can check all that apply
    Oh, I see now you can pick more than one option. Doesn't matter, I'd still prefer a biracial or multiracial option next time.

wait, people really be trynna make people prove their identity? it's a geek message board, it ain't that serious. people really be draggin that gatekeeper stuff, I swear.
    It wasn't this forum, and it was years ago, but I prefer to be cautious nowadays.

Rey from Star Wars I guess, her personality was like paper and I found Finn more interesting. She stopped being a mary sue in the Last Jedi when they had the conflict about her family and made her lineage unrelated to Skywalkers/Palpatine. Then they had to make her a Palpatine.

Mulan from the 2020 remake is another one. They turned chi into the Jedi force and had Mulan lose everything that made her growth more compelling in the original.

I've seen movies were a badass female character was done right(Atomic Blonde) but these two aren't one of them.
    I think Damian Wayne is a huge Mary Sue, or at least has been in the recent past, so I'd add him to the list.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Yeah, Rey is probably the highest profile Mary Sue in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I think Damian Wayne is a huge Mary Sue, or at least has been in the recent past, so I'd add him to the list.
    I think he is in the DCAU universe but right now he just gets used as a plot device for other characters' development.

I think he is in the DCAU universe but right now he just gets used as a plot device for other characters' development.
    True, but when first introduced in the comics he was also very Mary Sue-like. But, yeah, his Mary Sueness is indeed strong in the DCAU lol.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Ethinicity: I'm brazilian, so I guess "all of them"? Anyway, from what I know it's a mix of white (portuguese, german, italian and spaniard) and at least two different types of Natives on my mom side, and my dad's side is almost exclusively black, but with some dutch and native in an unknown proportion. For american standards I'd be black, for Brazilian standards I'm officially brown, but read as white when in white environments. Except for the police, of course.

Male, over 35 (39 to be precise).

Bananas are ok, but I tend to prefer fruit with which you can make caipirinhas.

My reading enjoyment varies. The age is meaningless; I like modern and experimental storytelling so I'm not really nostalgic for "how they did in the Bronze Age" or stuff like that. Ethinicity is a factor, though; as the debate around these questions evolves, and we understand better things like stereotyping and such, poorly included minority characters tend to bother me more and more. I actually got angry at a comic for the first time in my life when Wallace West (then Wally) debuted. I've been that kid with his arm twisted. Not cool. And having a horse in this race ended up making me more attentive to the representation of women and other minorities as well.

PS: I'd like to reiterate that, at least here in Brazil, "DaCosta" is not a real surname. It's "da Costa". So pretty much every brazilian comics character that you ever read had an inexistent name. Also, the correct form would be "Mr. Costa" not "Mr. da Costa", and I have no idea how Sunspot hadn't fired his entire staff over this yet.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!