• negatively informs my reading experience

5 6.49%
  • I like bananas

32 41.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    that completely escaped my mind! I was creeping up on the poll limit with the banana option (which I'm surprised has gotten so many thought out answers) so I just kinda rushed it. that is a pretty glaring omission, huh? smh i'll admit, that's my straight privilege blindness showing
    If it's any consolation, your post history pretty much ensures anyone who even has a passing knowledge of your contributions to discussion on these boards will understand it probably was a brain fart at worst and that there's no ill intent.

One look at the banana option and I honestly figured it'd be in the top three. Hah.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Luke Skywalker is considered a Gary Stu by many. It's only his fans that act like no one has called him that but they have.
    This is news to me. Casual watchers like myself don't consider him a Stu. We consider him "standard main character". Farm boy, swords, powers, mentor, revenge, forgiveness... all that Hero's Journey jazz. Do they consider Anakin a Stu too considering his midi-chlorian count, mechanic and pilot ability, and managing to nail his childhood crush?

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I would say the most appropriate reason why Luke isn't a Gary Stu is because he's the main character of the series. Stus/Sues always have some level of intrusion in the story. Can't really intrude on your own story.

That's why Batman can't be considered a Gary Stu in Batman books but can be considered one in Justice League books.
    You can be a Sue as a main character, definitely, if the story bend over to accommodate the main character in a way that's illogical or provide an easy way out.

Chief one for me is Bella Swan in the first Twilight book, which is the only one I read. She's worried that she's a new girl in school, looks at herself as ugly, only to turn out to be really popular. She has a love triangle among her high school friends, she's worried about breaking her friend's heart, immediately resolved in a paragraph. No conflict or heartbreak.

She considers her mother and father to be overbearing, but if you look at it objectively, they care a lot about her, and that's she's just too annoyed by her moving to a new place situation.

She doesn't look twice at her friends who cares and concerned about her, considering them annoying like puppies, even though, remember, she complained at first that she won't get any friends, but turn straight to the super gorgeous vampire students.

She had an accident, don't worry, these rich vampires will cover for her. There's one pretty vampire who's jealous of her? Don't worry, it's her fault. Evil vampire suddenly appear in the last chapter? Don't worry, the vampire family slaughters him.

All of those summarized into a situation where her whole vision of the world around her is skewed, but she never learned anything about it. Usually in a story there's a lesson of learning accepting the flaws of yourself and the world around you, so the main character can be a better person... she just ignores her flaw and want to leave the flawed world of mankind to join the vampires, who are these perfectly sculpted superpowered rich immortals. It's very juvenile, and in a way, fits the fantasy of a teen, so that's why it's very popular, but on the other, there is no journey or meaning.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-24-2020 at 11:35 AM.

I'm a white male, over 35.
    Does that inform my reading experience? It must in some ways. That I'm gay I feel greatly informs my reading experience much much more. I'm a persecuted minority, largely an outsider looking in, so I am identifying with outsiders and minorities. My identification is usually with female characters at least as much as with male characters. I particularly latch onto the few gay male characters that DC has, and I wish for greater diversity.