BANNED

Default Best and Worst Year for Comic Book Films (2011-2019 Decade)

Reflecting on the last decade of comic movies. A fun exercise for comic fans. I think if you like Marvel and DC equally, this should be a fun thread.

X-men First Class, Thor, Captain America 1, Green Lantern

Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, Amazing Spiderman 2

Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, The Wolverine, Thor: The Dark World

Guardians of the Galaxy, Days of Future Past, Captain America Winter Solider, The Amazing Spiderman 2

Age of Ultron, Ant-Man, Fantastic 4, Kingsman: The Secret Service

Deadpool, Civil War, X-Men Apocalypse, Batman v Superman

Logan, Thor Ragnarok, Spiderman Homecoming, Wonder Woman. Justice League ,
    Kingsman: The Golden Circle

Black Panther, Spiderverse, Venom, Deadpool 2, Infinity War, Ant Man and The Wasp

Avengers Endgame, Spiderman Far from Home, Joker, Captain Marvel , Shazam, Dark Phoenix.

My best years are tied between 2014, 2016, 2017.

Worst years are tied between 2011 or 2015 or to a smaller extent 2019.

By 2019 it felt as if comic movies had imploded on itself even though Joker shook the genre up.
    Last edited by Castle; 10-20-2020 at 01:11 PM. Reason: title was incomplete

Don't know if there was burnout, love the genera, I was all in at the go, although as it grew past mid decade, the ones that showed me something I hadn't already seen ultimately stand out.
    Favorites
    Captain America (First Avenger) Iron-Man was just ok, that they got Cap right, (to me) made me feel the MCU going forward had foundation, no mater what they churned out, hence enjoyed them all, despite lots of mediocre films in the lot.
    Deadpool
    Logan,
    Joker

Just looking at individual films.
    Not judging the whole production year by them, which is pretty meaningless.
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-21-2020 at 08:29 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Don't know if there was burnout, love the genera, I was all in at the go, although as it grew past mid decade, the ones that showed me something I hadn't already seen ultimately stand out.
    Favorites
    Captain America (First Avenger)
    Deadpool
    I found 2011 one of the worst years. its a 1/4. Green Lantern was a misguided not well planned out movie. Captain America and Thor were movies that felt they needed to exist to build into Avengers although they are not as dismissible as Captain Marvel. First Class was the only true strong unit of 2011.

Logan,
    2017 was a break through year for female comic films with Wonder Woman. Logan was also different and well done. But overall 2017 was an average year when you bring everything else together.

Joker
    The issue with 2019 films was the harsh criticisms of what comic films have become finally overshadowed any positives that came from that year.

Despite my personal preference of comic films . 2014 for me is the best year of the decade because there is something of any type of comic book fan. If you love humor , you would have enjoyed GOTG, If you were a Marvel MCU fan that wanted marvel to finally make a serious film and stray a bit away from their formula, you would love Winter Solider, if you are a comic fan who grew up in the late 2000s and preferred the grounded grittier comic films, you would love days if future past. 2014 was a 3/4.
    Last edited by Castle; 10-21-2020 at 11:30 AM.

BANNED

Wrong post deleted.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Reflecting on the last decade of comic movies. A fun exercise for comic fans. I think if you like Marvel and DC equally, this should be a fun thread.

X-men First Class, Thor, Captain America 1, Green Lantern --First Class easily best of the 3. Meh year overall

Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, Amazing Spiderman -- Overall good year. Not a "bad" movie on the list, imo. top 3 year

Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, The Wolverine, Thor: The Dark World -- Man of Steel the ONLY good movie this year. Wolverine average.

Guardians of the Galaxy, Days of Future Past, Captain America Winter Solider, The Amazing Spiderman 2 -- definitely top 3 year. AS2 was ok, the rest were done well. Winter Soldier still the best MCU movie to date imo

Age of Ultron, Ant-Man, Fantastic 4, Kingsman: The Secret Service -- disliked all except Kingsman. could be worst year

Deadpool, Civil War, X-Men Apocalypse, Batman v Superman -- imo, Apocalypse keeps this year from the top. despite the issues, i still liked BvS.

Logan, Thor Ragnarok, Spiderman Homecoming, Wonder Woman. Justice League ,
    Kingsman: The Golden Circle -- Easily the best year. JL had issues, and I didnt like that Ragnarok was Guardians 2.5 (my biggest issue is titling it Ragnarok and making it a comedy). But this is a great year overall

Black Panther, Spiderverse, Venom, Deadpool 2, Infinity War, Ant Man and The Wasp -- 50% bangers, 50% meh. BP, S'Verse and Infinity War keep this in top 4 or 5

Avengers Endgame, Spiderman Far from Home, Joker, Captain Marvel , Shazam, Dark Phoenix. -- Cap Marvel and Phoenix shot down this years chance to be top 3
    mine are all bolded above

Wow we are so spoiled.

Picking 2014, it had the most memorable movies, to me. Three great movies (Guardians of the Galaxy, Days of Future Past, Captain America Winter Solider) and one dog (The Amazing Spiderman 2). But the big thing, to me, is the crossover success of GotG. Tons of people saw and loved that movie who had absolutely no interest in hero films, the humor was so great.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Wow we are so spoiled.

Picking 2014, it had the most memorable movies, to me. Three great movies (Guardians of the Galaxy, Days of Future Past, Captain America Winter Solider) and one dog (The Amazing Spiderman 2). But the big thing, to me, is the crossover success of GotG. Tons of people saw and loved that movie who had absolutely no interest in hero films, the humor was so great.
    2014 was a peak year. if you noticed something post 2014. X-Men team movie never got good again, MCU has never done a comedy as enduring to their humor fans as GOTG, Winter Solider is still called the best MCU movie.

I just read through everything again. 2015 may be worse than 2011.

For me, Ant Man was a really good movie. Still one of my favorites. Top ten, maybe top eight. Not enough to redeem 2015, though, mainly because I hated Ultron so much.

I enjoyed Secret Service, for what it was, but Kingsman, to me, is not a hero film series. They are just glorified spies, no one would consider them to even be definitive heroes and probably at least half the world would see them as villains. You could include Skyfall and Spectre if you are including Kingsman.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.