Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    ?? What do you mean flopped? How many theaters or people are even going to movies? Are you talking about the streaming downloads?
    He can't talk streaming numbers because those ain't made public. We have no way of knowing if it's a success unless the source tells us it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Apparently you were because this thing flopped. Which sums up the problem. Who was this for exactly?
    Disney has a formula, maybe they strayed a little too far from it?
    A. We have no idea what the numbers are for the PVOD
    B. Why are you making a big deal about a movie "flopping" during Covid all the theater are not open

Everything is going to "flop" including Black Widow, Fast and Furious, James Bond, etc. It is going to take months maybe years for the industry to recover properly after everything reopens. The old markers for success don't even matter anymore we have had nearly a year in the US movies open seriously that is enough to change people buying habits.

I see some of you trying to move the goal post and saying that it isn't a flop due to the current environment. Raya is being judged by the New Reality and the New Reality deems it a flop. Disney’s ‘Raya And The Last Dragon’ Flops With $8.6M Domestically, 39% Lower Than ‘Tom & Jerry’ https://www.cartoonbrew.com

China Box Office: Disney’s ‘Raya and the Last Dragon’ Flames Out at Third
    https://variety.com/2021/film/news/r...ice-1234924389

All movies going forward will be judged by the New Reality just like Raya was, and even if our reality changes back those movie that were hits will still be considered hits and the movies that were flops will still be flops.

Huh, thought you folks would be more up to date.

Now that I have apparently rained on everyone's parade for saying to read about how a movie was doing on the internet I will give my reasons for why it flopped.

No singing or dancing. Heavy on action that you can get everywhere at a much cheaper price. No love interest.

Not to mention this.....Cinemark Strikes Back at Disney, Refuses to Show 'Raya and the Last Dragon https://markets.***************.com/...dragon-9889938

Cinemark is the nation's third largest movie chain, and they shut Disney out.

It's a flop.

Now you can try to play the "people watched it at home game". Keep in mind that Disney doesn't share those numbers nor do they have to and the fact that they haven't (if they have feel free to post a link) should tell you all you need to know because Disney loves nothing more than crowing about Disney+. These were the people that couldn't wait to tell you how popular WandaVision was and how the site crashed because of the season finale.

I meant no malice. But with Black Widow coming up these are important conversations to have.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 03-09-2021 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Wanted to apologize for reading about a movie before seeing it, so sorry
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

What movie has been a box office success since pandemic has started? Demon Slayer is about the only thing I can remember performing strongly. Every single major movie that has been released has been a financial flop Tenet, New Mutants, Wonder Woman, Soul,etc. Tom Jerry has 75 million dollar budget, It has made 57 million ,It is a flop.

You don't have a give reason why anything is flop because everything is flop. Something has perform better than others but they all are flops. Raya was never going to make a profit. Black widow has about 200 dollar budget. Tenet made about 361 million dollars. Just based on that you will see that Black Widow will probably be a flop unless it has miracle performance China who is generally back open.

Maybe we better yet myself stated it wrong nobody is doubting it is a flop because everything is a flop, and in environment where everything is flop nobody cares about trying to assign blame for failure. The actual more interesting information is PVOD numbers how much of the loss did it offset. Movies Theater chains are playing with fire, Pushing Disney towards being PVOD business seems like a bad idea.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-09-2021 at 11:32 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    What movie has been a box office success since pandemic has started? Demon Slayer is about the only thing I can remember performing strongly. Every single major movie that has been released has been a financial flop Tenet, New Mutants, Wonder Woman, Soul,etc. Tom Jerry has 75 million dollar budget, It has made 57 million ,It is a flop.

You don't have a give reason why anything is flop because everything is flop. Something has perform better than others but they all arer flops. Raya was never going to make a profit. Black widow has about 200 dollar budget. Tenet made about 361 million dollars. Just based on that you will see that Black Widow will probably be a flop unless it has miracle performance China who is generally back open.

Maybe we better yet myself stated it wrong nobody is doubting it is a flop because everything is a flop, and in environment where everything is flop nobody cares about trying to assign blame for failure.

I will say I think Black Widow opens mid May right? At the vaccine rate in this country right now I think all movie theaters will be open. Whether people go or not I don't have a clue.

I will say I think Black Widow opens mid May right? At the vaccine rate in this country right now I think all movie theaters will be open. Whether people go or not I don't have a clue.
    May 7 it is releasing. People won't go, I mean a large enough amount will go people that it will probably be the highest grossing thing in awhile but I can't see any movie having legs. Closer to the end of year will be better if the virus doesn't flare up again.

Astonishing Member

May 7 it is releasing. People won't go, I mean a large enough amount will go people that it will probably be the highest grossing thing in awhile but I can't see any movie having legs.
    You think people won't go because they will still be nervous about covid, or that people habits have changed?

Welcome to the new reality.

Raya doesn't have to make as much money. But you better believe that it is expected to outperform a poorly reviewed movie about an ancient IP (Tom And Jerry) that is older than everyone that went to see it. An ancient poorly reviewed IP that was available for FREE that more people still decided to PAY to see than Raya.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

You think people won't go because they will still be nervous about covid, or that people habits have changed?
    All of the above and Black Widow isn't that big of name.

Astonishing Member

All of the above and Black Widow isn't that big of name.

I don't know I think things are really going to start kicking in April and May. We shall see.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Raya doesn't have to make as much money. But you better believe that it is expected to outperform a poorly reviewed movie about an ancient IP (Tom And Jerry) that is older than everyone that went to see it. An ancient poorly reviewed IP that was available for FREE that more people still decided to PAY to see than Raya.
    You seriously expect me to give a damn about box office numbers when most theaters are still shutdown? The streaming numbers is what's gonna matter here as that's the most accessible way to watch this movie.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Most people will be vaccinated by May, and when people are vaccinated they will want to go back out and start doing things again. The movie industry will start picking up then. There may be a rebound effect which will produce very big numbers for some theatrical movies later this year... though it may take a while to get going in earnest.

Look for many of the movies that "flopped" over the past year to get theatrical re-releases this summer and fall. Including Raya and the Last Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post

Look for many of the movies that "flopped" over the past year to get theatrical re-releases this summer and fall. Including Raya and the Last Dragon.
    I doubt that they are many things in production as we speak to be put out this year, Most of these companies have backlog of movies that they need to release. Many of this stuff is let me take the financial hit now and make what I can from this movie then continue on with my normal schedule as things get better.

Astonishing Member

Well the Asian markets in general show people can still care about going to the movies, Japan not only released their own Titanic with Slayer, off the top of my head once theaters reopened there the delayed final installment of the Fate/Stay Night trilogy outperformed the 2nd film like it was supposed to do. And the Chinese local movies of course.

But if there's one western movie without a studio pocket change budget that can probably count as a hit now it would probably be the second Croods. Not only did it make around twice and half its budget in theaters alone worldwide, I heard it ranked well in streaming so the interest has been there.

Maybe Chloe Moretz has more fans than we knew.

Maybe with Tom and Jerry people already knew what to expect and by the next Raya came out next weekend, many families already had their family out fix.

Japan not only released their own Titanic with Slayer,
    And it hit first place in other countries like korea, new zealand and australia.

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/dem...both%20regions.

Another anime film just broke imax records in japan also and detective conan has a movie coming soon and his films are some of the highest grossing in the year they are released and crushed both avengers infinity war and endgame at the japan box office! (hulk got crushed by a kid with glasses! Don't mess with conan in japan!)

https://deadline.com/2021/03/shin-ev...ce-1234711137/