Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

They said it this issue. It's been said since issue 1. That was Morgan Le Fay's whole thing against her. Betsy even makes a makes a comment about it to Brian before they go off to Otherworld.
    Last edited by Psycwave; 10-21-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    So Betsy was being as awful as people thought she sounded in the previews. She was absolutely not entitled to the role of CB, and kept trying to foist the sword role onto Brian, a role that has tons of symbolic meaning for him to reject. And instead he's manipulated into taking it up out of anger by his sociopath siblings, which is absolutely the thing he wanted to avoid. And have they just colonized Avalon? A land they have no justifications for conquering? Betsy only took the role by happenstance, did none of the things meant to earn the role, and her only accomplishment as Captain Britain was aiding Krakoa in conquering and colonizing the place she is meant to protect. And then she throws an 'if I can't have it, no one can' temper tantrum.

But it was all the plan from the start! Somehow. Despite Betsy acting that way before Saturnyne even got involved. And Saturnyne mostly just pointed out the obvious. This was just such a headache to read.
    He chose the sword, she wasn't forcing anything on him.

Let's not act as if Brian has not been King of Otherworld in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    They said it this issue. It's been said since issue 1. That was Morgan Le Fay's whole thing against Betsy.
    I really don't understand the jumps that some people say are required to understand this issue.

Fantastic Member

The last line of the book gave me feels. Of the entire series, this was probably my favorite issue. I love seeing the Braddock twins together and it was even heartwarming to see them work with Jaime. Great family dynamics. All the CB and Otherworld stuff being brought into current times with such a contemporary treatment on the mythology has been amazing! Seeing spotlights on Saturnyne and hints of Mad Jim Jaspers coming back is crazy and welcomed! I am not the biggest fan of Tini's execution but her ideas are fun! Interesting to see how they will bring the CB Corps back. That would be awesome. And I've not been a fan of the idea of Betsy becoming CB but now that she wants it, I'm rooting for her to keep the mantle.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

So the Braddock siblings somehow figured out that Saturnyne had the Starlight Sword and came up with this hyper dramatic plan to get it?

Marauders was less convoluted.

Ummm... 6/10. Good art.
    "Cable was right!"

I don't think you can really call what happened Brian choosing the Sword. And you definitely can't call what happened with Betsy 'choosing the medallion' over the sword

Mighty Member

The more you think about the plan, the dumber it gets, so don't think about the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
    The weird thing about the Sword of Might choice is that Brian is still acting like Brian and not the bloodthirsty failure someone who chose the Sword should be. Saturnyne wanted Brian to have the Starlight Sword, just another thing Betsy has taken from Brian. I'm noticing an unsettling trend forming.
    My most striking memories of Betsy pre-Asian Ninja are of her bitching about being weak and having power fantasies about becoming a powerful warrior. She's managed to become a badass ninja and a powerful magic-empowered being since then, and she's been very weary of giving those upgrades up. Can't she just be happy with the telekinetic powers she got from Jean? Geez. Does Betsy have anything that's truly hers that she's earned?
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I don't think you can really call what happened Brian choosing the Sword. And you definitely can't call what happened with Betsy 'choosing the medallion' over the sword
    That's how it works. Merlin and Roma gave him the test and he failed

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    My most striking memories of Betsy pre-Asian Ninja are of her bitching about being weak and having power fantasies about becoming a powerful warrior. She's managed to become a badass ninja and a powerful magic-empowered being since then, and she's been very weary of giving those upgrades up. Can't she just be happy with the telekinetic powers she got from Jean? Geez. Does Betsy have anything that's truly hers that she's earned?
    She had tried to be Captain Britain in the past, it's not completely out of the blue. And it's connected to her losing her eyes which was a big moment for her too.

Her trying to become something that she cares about is not a bad thing. She wants to move forward and following her dream of being a hero.
    Last edited by Veitha; 10-21-2020 at 01:30 PM.

I can't with Tini anymore. This issue was just flat out DUMB.

And for a reality warping, omega-level mutant, Jamie seems to forget he has any powers at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    She had tried to be Captain Britain in the past, it's not completely out of the blue. And it's connected to her losing her eyes. Her trying to become something that she cares about is not a bad thing.
    From what I've read here, it seems she doesn't really care; she just wants something. I remember her own CB history from her appearance in New Mutants Annual #2. If they rebuild the CB Corps, she can become a CB, right? She doesn't have to be the only CB.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

If we can get through New Exlies Betsy and New Excalibur Betsy. We can get through this.

But the more things people call things out the more I dislike Betsy's character arc.

She basically didn't want to be Captain Britain but it was thrust on her but now she wants it because people dont believe in her?

She had 12 issues to earn it. I guess she's going to earn it during this event? Maybe? She hasn't really done anything significant even though editors said they were going to try to elevate her to Captain Marvel levels.

She's just taken Brian's role. Yeah I know she's been Captain Britain before but Tini is just missing opportunities left and right. Monarch? Captain Avalon? How were those not given to Betsy.

Just have to stick with it. She has a plan. She has a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Just have to stick with it. She has a plan. She has a plan.
    Keep the faith!

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    From what I've read here, it seems she doesn't really care; she just wants something. I remember her own CB history from her appearance in New Mutants Annual #2. If they rebuild the CB Corps, she can become a CB, right? She doesn't have to be the only CB.
    She's confused, that's been clear since issue 1. She's been Captain Britain for quite a bit before, so it's not farfetched that she wants to be one again.