Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Muffinman View Post
    This right here. Excalibur continues to be the worst of the x-books despite a STELLAR cast. Tini is really just phoning in almost everything. This was the messiest chapter thus far, hopefully the next chapter clears up the off panel assumptions. This whole book kind of happens off panel, so the fact that others are tied to it might clarify those holes thankfully.
    The fact that this was the worst issue and Tini is one of the main “showrunners” of this event....

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    You mean the Cpt Britain versions? Because Jubilee got killed and the other two are in lock up and what use would they be when we already have the OG versions? That would be like the evil X-men in New X-calibur, they came they saw they got waxed.

An that's another thing that grinds my gears, Jamie flatout murdered her and Betsy still trusts him? That didn't add up in any sensible way.
    Having read the previous 12 issues I meant the real 616 versions of those three characters need to run for the hills, or at least break the 4th wall and give some side eye to the reader. Though to be fair, in the 12 issues before this 2nd grade paper machet project of an issue Rogue, Gambit, and Jubilee got about as much in character panel time as they did in this issue featuring CB stand in's... which is 0

Spectacular Member

I agree with most people here. This book is not reaching its potential at all, even though this wasn’t such a bad issue. But the rest of the issues are pulling this one down with them. Marvel quickly needs to consolidate Betsy as the new CB and yank her out of the x/books and just create a new niche corner with a New England based group of hero books that also take place in Avalon and deal with Saturnyne . And bring back all the other mutants to krakoa and give them something else to do

Don't keep up on these threads too much, but definitely surprised at the reactions; Excalibur has probably been my favorite ongoing other than the main title (and the Hickman issues of New Mutants.. and maybe Hellions but too soon to say for sure). I think Tini's doing a great job, and loved this issue! (Doesn't hurt, of course, that she has Marcus To who IMHO has been one of the stars of the relaunch, plus Silva for this one).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bkart1978 View Post
    Don't keep up on these threads too much, but definitely surprised at the reactions; Excalibur has probably been my favorite ongoing other than the main title (and the Hickman issues of New Mutants.. and maybe Hellions but too soon to say for sure). I think Tini's doing a great job, and loved this issue! (Doesn't hurt, of course, that she has Marcus To who IMHO has been one of the stars of the relaunch, plus Silva for this one).
    Gotta remember that salty forum posters are the absolute vocal minority. Really liked the way the Braddocks played into Saturnyne's prejudices and horniness. And it was immensely satisfying for Brian to show his loyalty to his siblings and wife.

Was Saturnyne really played? I think so. I gather most either haven't been reading Excalibur, or not comprehending it, because Tini has been spinning these threads since the beginning. Key among them: Betsy's relationships with Brian and Saturnyne. With Brian, she hasn't felt like he actually supports her taking on the mantle of Captain Britain and instead is treating her like she's babysitting while he decides when he's ready to take it back. And Saturnyne has not been shy about hating on Betsy as CB, even going as far as stating the "choice" that the rightful CB has to make doesn't actually matter. She'd do anything for Betsy not to be her Captain Britain. And they knew that and used it against her.

All of that culminated into this issue and the cunning plan to take the Starlight Sword from her. Was wonderful. Now, Saturnyne has so far shown to be pretty intelligent, so she may have some other plans up her sleeve. But she isn't omniscient.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Right, human trafficker. It was revealed all the way back in Davis' Captain Britain run. Brian wanted to kill him when he learned the truth and left him at the mercy of Doctor Crocodile. And then decades later he and Jamie are BFFs with no explanation and working together to trial Fantomex for killing a child. WTF?

I dunno, I probably wouldn't be on speaking terms with a brother who committed horrible crimes.
    Betsy did have Brian kill a version of Jaime before. I'm not sure what else they could do to him.

Brian being on friendly terms with his brother despite his horrible crimes isn't any different from all the other superhero/villain siblings. Thor and Loki, Blackbolt and Maximus, ect. These bros have still teamed up despite the awful past deeds their siblings commited.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
    The weird thing about the Sword of Might choice is that Brian is still acting like Brian and not the bloodthirsty failure someone who chose the Sword should be.
    They will probably say Brian is so good and honorable that he can tame the dark nature of the sword of might.

Quote Originally Posted by slacker View Post
    Gotta remember that salty forum posters are the absolute vocal minority. Really liked the way the Braddocks played into Saturnyne's prejudices and horniness. And it was immensely satisfying for Brian to show his loyalty to his siblings and wife.
    Um, no. Excalibur is the worst selling team-book in Dawn of X, though X-Factor will probably drop below it.

X-Force, X-Men and Marauders consistently outsell it... which good, because they are all better written then this book. :/

I think I'm gonna join the rest of the Rogue, Gambit and Jubilee fans and just drop this mess of a book. I gave it way too many chances.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 10-21-2020 at 10:13 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Um, no. Excalibur is the worst selling team-book in Dawn of X, though X-Factor will probably drop below it.

X-Force, X-Men and Marauders consistently outsell it... which good, because they are all better written then this book. :/

I think I'm gonna join the rest of the Rogue, Gambit and Jubilee fans and just drop this mess of a book. I gave it way too many chances.
    Or you know, the fact that A-list casts are what mainly drive sales. I don't need to pull up all the great books that didn't have the sales to back them up, because you're already subscribed to that really naive way of associating sales with the quality of a book.

Yes, join those. Not sure why people need to announce they're dropping a book. Do u. Bye

Spectacular Member

Was Saturnyne really played? I think so. I gather most either haven't been reading Excalibur, or not comprehending it, because Tini has been spinning these threads since the beginning. Key among them: Betsy's relationships with Brian and Saturnyne. With Brian, she hasn't felt like he actually supports her taking on the mantle of Captain Britain and instead is treating her like she's babysitting while he decides when he's ready to take it back. And Saturnyne has not been shy about hating on Betsy as CB, even going as far as stating the "choice" that the rightful CB has to make doesn't actually matter. She'd do anything for Betsy not to be her Captain Britain. And they knew that and used it against her.

All of that culminated into this issue and the cunning plan to take the Starlight Sword from her. Was wonderful. Now, Saturnyne has so far shown to be pretty intelligent, so she may have some other plans up her sleeve. But she isn't omniscient.
    Oh she definitely got played. Never underestimate how much one's IQ can drop in the presence of their crush/unrequited love. Especially if you think it's finally going to happen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frostfire View Post
    Oh she definitely got played. Never underestimate how much one's IQ can drop in the presence of their crush/unrequited love. Especially if you think it's finally going to happen.
    Lol. ESPECIALLY for Brian. And if anyone knows at least some of Saturnyne's history, the Braddocks have always been one of her horcruxes.

Think the problem is sometimes Tini's writing is a little too meandering. She didn't quite perfectly sell Saturnyne's lapse in judgment, in contrast to her sudden all-around stat boost at the start of this event. But she no doubt underestimated the Braddocks.

I will say the one thing im looking forward to most is Betsy's interaction with all the other champions of Krakoa and getting to see the other writers take on her.

Also can't wait to see how the others take to Brian. Next week can't come soon enough. More Larraz and Asrar art.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I will say the one thing im looking forward to most is Betsy's interaction with all the other champions of Krakoa
    Especially with Doug. I don't care if it's cradle robbing, they're cute

Or you know, the fact that A-list casts are what mainly drive sales. I don't need to pull up all the great books that didn't have the sales to back them up, because you're already subscribed to that really naive way of associating sales with the quality of a book.
    And you think a cast featuring most of the 90s Blue Team (Rogue, Betsy, Gambit and Jubilee) is not A-List compared to X-Force and Marauders? No, Excalibur has all the star power it needs, it just has subpar writing and a writer who clearly did not want to write a team-book.

What drives sales is multi-faceted and I never said direct quality was what majorly drove sales. But it can and does influence a books longevity. Are you saying it doesn't?

Yes, join those. Not sure why people need to announce they're dropping a book. Do u. Bye
    To influence other people and voice my dissatisfaction as is my right on a comic book forum?

There are clearly other fans who have mixed feelings on this book and who are checking this series back out because of the crossover factor. I rather let them know that the quality of the book leaves much left to be desired then let them think this issue is at all an exception to Tini's writing.

Of course some people will enjoy it which is their right, but for those on the fence I would ward them away from this book, tell them to save their money and urge them to check something else out.

BANNED

^ Do that.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Also can't wait to see how the others take to Brian. Next week can't come soon enough. More Larraz and Asrar art.
    I do find it odd that he's even in the circle of champions, although not stated, it felt like it was supposed to be a mutant affair. Which makes me think some big changes are in store for him. Then again, it would be more off if this big event that takes place in Otherworld didn't involve him I guess. But yeah, I'm ready for Betsy and Brian to interact with the rest of the cast!

Quote Originally Posted by bkart1978 View Post
    Don't mind the negative reactions, most of them come from unhappiness about what's being done with a "fave" rather than an actual criticism to the story.