Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

I guess I'll just have to accept that all the characters are sociopaths in this new era...

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    We've had multiple people telling her how she doesn't deserve the title and doubting her legitimacy while she constantly defends how she IS the current CB and wants that respect. She has an entire convo with Rogue wondering why Saturnyne wouldn't reveal herself as she's done to other CB's. Betsy might not have wanted it but she has it and has been doing the job protecting both Krakoa and Britain. For Brian to pop up and be yet another person who feels she can't hack it probably struck a cord.
    Wanting basic respect is not the same as being emotionally attached to something. Even if there were inklings that Betsy might actually really like being CB (which I really don’t think there were), they certainly were not the focus of the first 12 issues of Excalibur. I personally don’t think that the middle of a crossover is the best time to start doing character work with your lead that should’ve been focused on since issue 1.

Anyways that’s just how I feel. Glad you enjoyed the issue!

Spectacular Member

I cannot unsee that Saturnyne's initials are LOLS

So Betsy was being as awful as people thought she sounded in the previews. She was absolutely not entitled to the role of CB, and kept trying to foist the sword role onto Brian, a role that has tons of symbolic meaning for him to reject. And instead he's manipulated into taking it up out of anger by his sociopath siblings, which is absolutely the thing he wanted to avoid. And have they just colonized Avalon? A land they have no justifications for conquering? Betsy only took the role by happenstance, did none of the things meant to earn the role, and her only accomplishment as Captain Britain was aiding Krakoa in conquering and colonizing the place she is meant to protect. And then she throws an 'if I can't have it, no one can' temper tantrum.

But it was all the plan from the start! Somehow. Despite Betsy acting that way before Saturnyne even got involved. And Saturnyne mostly just pointed out the obvious. This was just such a headache to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I guess I'll just have to accept that all the characters are sociopaths in this new era...
    This is the most glaring criticism for the Krakoa era. The X-Men have made allies of enemies before, but washing away everyone's sins like they never existed is just unsatisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Yeah I’m confused. When Excalibur started it felt like she didn’t want the mantle, then we didn’t get any insight into her feelings for 10 issues, and now she’s deeply attached to the role? Like many others have noted I feel like we went from A to Z without any of the steps in the middle.
    I've got the feeling that her attachment to the mantle was part of the show they put on too fool Saturnyne. But again, why did they choose for Brian to get the Sword of Might and Betsy the Starlight Sword? A little confusing and I hope (but doubt it), that tini will make it more clear during the event.

Curious to see what long term plans she (and Marvel) has for the twins.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    This is the most glaring criticism for the Krakoa era. The X-Men have made allies of enemies before, but washing away everyone's sins like they never existed is just unsatisfying.
    "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." if even 5% of them get used to walk on the good side it's a win strategy
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

In the first issue of Excalibur when Jamie was resurrected it was clear Betsy wasn't happy about it, she had planned to bring Brian to Krakoa so they could decide whether they wanted him in their lives. Then [A] made him King of Avalon, and Betsy really didn't have much choice in interacting with him, but was still really aggressive towards him. Right after Jamie resurrected him, Brian was like "you guys brought this ******* back, gross". In this issue they are begrudgingly working together because they have to, they are hardly "on friendly terms". Just because you know your sibling is capable of horrible things doesn't mean you want them dead, and bringing up the human trafficking specifically when it isn't immediately relevant to the plot would be weird. And I suspect that Brian choosing to become Captain Avalon is just as much, if not more, about protecting the people of Avalon from Jamie as it about protecting Jamie.

We've had multiple people telling her how she doesn't deserve the title and doubting her legitimacy while she constantly defends how she IS the current CB and wants that respect. She has an entire convo with Rogue wondering why Saturnyne wouldn't reveal herself as she's done to other CB's. Betsy might not have wanted it but she has it and has been doing the job protecting both Krakoa and Britain. For Brian to pop up and be yet another person who feels she can't hack it probably struck a cord.

I really don't think Jamie being a human trafficker is ever going to be addressed again.
    Does she deserve the title? No, clearly not. No one with the power to make her a CB has taken it upon themselves to offer her the role. This also means she has no legitimacy to the name, regardless how much she wants it. My view was to wait and see what sort of CB she would be, maybe she'll come good? We've had 13 issue to see and she has been found wanting, but the worst things is the arrogance of acting like she's been about this CB life since day dot and hasn't been an x-squad killer for the last couple of decades. She lacks humility and doesn't act like someone who would have chosen the Amulet of Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Wanting basic respect is not the same as being emotionally attached to something. Even if there were inklings that Betsy might actually really like being CB (which I really don’t think there were), they certainly were not the focus of the first 12 issues of Excalibur. I personally don’t think that the middle of a crossover is the best time to start doing character work with your lead that should’ve been focused on since issue 1.

Anyways that’s just how I feel. Glad you enjoyed the issue!
    She's always wanted to be CB since forever though. Even during the ninjafication she talks about it so the emotional attachment to finally getting it(even if by unconventional means) feels real. I do agree Tini could've peppered that adoration into the story a little bit more but I also think a big part of her Betsy is that she's purposefully holding all of that in. We'll see though.

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    I've got the feeling that her attachment to the mantle was part of the show they put on too fool Saturnyne. But again, why did they choose for Brian to get the Sword of Might and Betsy the Starlight Sword? A little confusing and I hope (but doubt it), that tini will make it more clear during the event.

You’re probably right, but that’s even more frustrating. The one time Tini writes Betsy with some emotion, it’s all a ruse?

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
    Does she deserve the title? No, clearly not. No one with the power to make her a CB has taken it upon themselves to offer her the role. This also means she has no legitimacy to the name, regardless how much she wants it. My view was to wait and see what sort of CB she would be, maybe she'll come good? We've had 13 issue to see and she has been found wanting, but the worst things is the arrogance of acting like she's been about this CB life since day dot and hasn't been an x-squad killer for the last couple of decades. She lacks humility and doesn't act like someone who would have chosen the Amulet of Right.
    I mean, she didn't choose it lol. Under normal circumstances she probably still wouldn't but she's trying be atone for being a psycho killer for the last few years in someone else's body. She's struggling in the role because it's not natural to who she is and it's frustrating. That's how I read it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post

The weird thing about the Sword of Might choice is that Brian is still acting like Brian and not the bloodthirsty failure someone who chose the Sword should be. Saturnyne wanted Brian to have the Starlight Sword, just another thing Betsy has taken from Brian. I'm noticing an unsettling trend forming.

I mean, she didn't choose it lol. Under normal circumstances she probably still wouldn't but she's trying be atone for being a psycho killer for the last few years in someone else's body. She's struggling in the role because it's not natural to who she is and it's frustrating. That's how I read it anyway.
    No she didn't choose it, but she wants it, bad! I don't think a good reason has been given as to why. Her trying to atone sound like a really good character arc that should have happened before this event took off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    In the first issue of Excalibur when Jamie was resurrected it was clear Betsy wasn't happy about it, she had planned to bring Brian to Krakoa so they could decide whether they wanted him in their lives. Then [A] made him King of Avalon, and Betsy really didn't have much choice in interacting with him, but was still really aggressive towards him. Right after Jamie resurrected him, Brian was like "you guys brought this ******* back, gross". In this issue they are begrudgingly working together because they have to, they are hardly "on friendly terms". Just because you know your sibling is capable of horrible things doesn't mean you want them dead, and bringing up the human trafficking specifically when it isn't immediately relevant to the plot would be weird. And I suspect that Brian choosing to become Captain Avalon is just as much, if not more, about protecting the people of Avalon from Jamie as it about protecting Jamie.
    But this again feels like readers are having to read between the lines and fill out the story to make it work. As someone said before, the story skipped from A to Z and we have to write B, C, D, etc. And if Jamie is that kind of threat to the people of Avalon, then Brian should be trying to overthrow him!

All the talk of Betsy not feeling natural in the role or coming in to the role or how it differs from her being a ninja killer is just more reading between the lines to glean something, anything from this story. These things should be on the page, not forcing us to assume or make it up for ourselves. Those assumptions can just as easily be made in a way that makes everyone into worse characters, not better ones.