Default Werewolf by Night issue 1

https://www.cbr.com/werewolf-by-night-1/

Anyone else check it out today?

I did. It wasn't bad but I was hoping for more horror the way it's been hyped up. In many ways it's more of a "secret agent"/action piece.

Just because there are monsters doesn't make something effective horror.

I'll check out next issue to see if I want to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/werewolf-by-night-1/

Anyone else check it out today?
    The cover is not really attractive.

I enjoyed it. It wasn't horror, but more like Saturday morning, or at the very least Disney Afternoon Gargoyles.

Some good action, drama, the theme of Indigenous peoples trying to make it work, I liked it.

As for the appearance of Red Wolf, this is the same Red Wolf from the 1872 Battleworld and Occupy Avengers, right? If so, I'm liking what he's becoming. Just a highly skilled operative guy who takes on some super powered baddies.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Mighty Member

I didn't even manage to finish it. It's the kind of mediocre comic written by a celebrity that comes out every 6 months and that everybody will forget before the end of the year. It's not that it's bad, it's just that it's uninteresting, the art is bland and the writing is very amateurish.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

It's quite a drastic change to the design of the Werewolf.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    ... the art is bland ....
    I'm really sorry to hear this. I was spoiled on Gene Colan's art on Tomb of Dracula back in the day. I was really hoping that the Werewolf's newest installment would help return some of that prestige to the horror genre. Miss those old books. Oh well. Hope Marvel keeps trying, but puts more of an effort into it next time.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I was disappointed with the book. I was expecting a cool horror book. Instead it seemed to be just another superhero book.

Also, I was disappointed with Scot Eaton's art. He has done so much better work.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    The cover is not really attractive.
    The cover was the best thing about the book. Okay, maybe the second best thing. It was good to see Red Wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I enjoyed it. It wasn't horror, but more like Saturday morning, or at the very least Disney Afternoon Gargoyles.

Some good action, drama, the theme of Indigenous peoples trying to make it work, I liked it.

As for the appearance of Red Wolf, this is the same Red Wolf from the 1872 Battleworld and Occupy Avengers, right? If so, I'm liking what he's becoming. Just a highly skilled operative guy who takes on some super powered baddies.
    Battleworld are alternate universe characters, aren't they?

Didn't read Occupy Avengers, but I'm pretty sure it's the 616 Red Wolf that has been around since the 1960s.

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I just reread it and I think I was being far too generous with my first reading. Some of this dialogue is really poor and the art is very disappointing.

Here's hoping Jack Russell isn't lost forever in favor of this version.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Battleworld are alternate universe characters, aren't they?
    Yes and no. When the universe was reconstructed after SECRET WARS there are some refugees from other universes who are now part of regular continuity. That Red Wolf appears to be one of them. Miles Morales and a few other characters from the Ultimate line are now a regular part of 616-Earth. James Robinson's SQUADRON SUPREME series had a whole roster of characters who were from alternate universes but are now in the 616.

Most of the Battleworld characters are still off in their separate universes, but there are a few who ended up spilling over.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Yes and no. When the universe was reconstructed after SECRET WARS there are some refugees from other universes who are now part of regular continuity. That Red Wolf appears to be one of them. Miles Morales and a few other characters from the Ultimate line are now a regular part of 616-Earth. James Robinson's SQUADRON SUPREME series had a whole roster of characters who were from alternate universes but are now in the 616.

Most of the Battleworld characters are still off in their separate universes, but there are a few who ended up spilling over.
    So, what happened to the 616 Red Wolf, if this is the 1872 Western Red Wolf?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    So, what happened to the 616 Red Wolf, if this is the 1872 Western Red Wolf?
    I'm not sure which Red Wolf is appearing in this series -- it could be the original 616 version. As far as we know, he's still around too.

Hmmmm. I'm guessing he is the original 616 version.