Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I like that the retcon isn't some soap opera crap like Apocalypse feeling a need to fill the void his family left with Horsemen and his MO was just him trying to "drown his loneliness" or some such thing. He was a man with a mission, that he could consider failed, because Moira did more to move the world forward than he did. I also like that this pretty much makes it clear why they never tried to hide the relationship between Genesis and Annihilation. Annihilation can't be truly defeated and, even if Genesis defeated them in the duel Summoner mentioned, that just means Annihilation jumped from that body to Genesis' body and that's why the Horsemen went to Amenth's side. Could be, at least.

Anyway, a solid 10/10, I really enjoyed everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    They already had eggs ready, it seems the limiting factor.
    Why would they have Rictor and Rockslide eggs ready to go?

ETA: I dont think the eggs are the limiting factor bc Eva mentions that they've never worked that fast before after Xavier tells them to resurrect the two within the hour. If the eggs were already prepared, then it shouldnt have been an issue for Eva. Nah, I think this is just an inconsistency in the story
    Last edited by Havok83; 10-21-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Astonishing Member

This was a fantastic issue. Hickman's approach to Apocalypse as a grieving father has been great since the revelation of Okkara. Genesis, Annihilation, and the First Horsemen continue to be the most intriguing parts of this whole saga and I'm interested to dig more into their backstories. Isca being Genesis' sister is a nice touch and I'm kinda hoping she wins her match so we can get more of her in the future. Best moment was when Genesis told Apocalypse he wasn't strong enough. That was tender and terrifying at the same time and I liked it.

When Rictor and Rockslide were brought back to life, there were several eggs ready. When Professor X went to put Victor's soul back in his body, he had all the trouble with their link, X passed out and in a hurried reaction Elixir destroyed all the remaining eggs.
    Only later, at the end of the edition, was it indicated that they were resuming the creation of more eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    Any theories on who that other Summoner-esque person was? They looked female too, could they be Pestilence's partner? They also seem to only have on black line, so I guess they are a not as powerful as the other Summoner?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Yeah I got partner vibes too. And correct, a single-lined Summoner Minor can "summon a single host or minor daemon", whatever that means.
    I immediately though she was he partner as well. The panel seemed very family portrait.
    A picture would last longer darling...

They're really trying to go the whole 'well-intentioned extremist' angle with Apocalypse. See, he was a genocidal mass murderer who will literally end the world if left alone to save us all! I've seen this story before, and it rarely works. We don't even know for sure what the motives and goals are of these guys, so we don't even know for certain they're really the bad guys. And in the other timeline where Moira woke up Apocalypse, there's no sign they did anything like this. Just recruited the OG Horsemen and went to war with the rest of the planet.

I understand a lot of people are really liking these developments. Apocalypse has always been a pretty flat character, so its something new. But it just does not work for me. You can't rehabilitate a guy like him to me.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

So, do we think the twin Ikons of Okkara are Krakoa and Arrako?

I think my favorite thing about this era is how Apocalypse suddenly became this well-rounded, interesting character. I loved the poetry of the issue, even if it came at the cost of sounding stuffy or antiquated.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

The retcons are clever, I'll give them that. That being said, I can't say I'm a big fan of this most recent one. It doesn't really work for me.

I definitely seem to be in the minority, so, at least the majority seems to like it.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by Agatha's Ghost View Post
    Apocalypse is unfit to run the Crucible. Replace him with Storm or Sabretooth.
    I really don't think Storm would agree to beating depowered mutants to death

As for Sabretooth, just for raping Polaris (it seems obvious he raped her when she was possessed by Malice), he can stay into the pit for a long time

Extraordinary Member

I also feel that this retcon doesn't work as well as the Magneto is a Holocaust survivor retcon worked. It kind of reminds me of how Big Boss turned into a villain in the Metal Gear franchise by misinterpreting what someone he loved, who happened to be stronger than him, said before she died.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    They're really trying to go the whole 'well-intentioned extremist' angle with Apocalypse. See, he was a genocidal mass murderer who will literally end the world if left alone to save us all! I've seen this story before, and it rarely works. We don't even know for sure what the motives and goals are of these guys, so we don't even know for certain they're really the bad guys. And in the other timeline where Moira woke up Apocalypse, there's no sign they did anything like this. Just recruited the OG Horsemen and went to war with the rest of the planet.

I understand a lot of people are really liking these developments. Apocalypse has always been a pretty flat character, so its something new. But it just does not work for me. You can't rehabilitate a guy like him to me.
    It's just a form a pragmatism derived from the imperative "THIS TIME WE ARE GOING TO BREAK ALL THE RULES" I think people are too quick to forget the premise of this new era for the mutant race, it all stems from the powers of X/house of X issues. But even if we stick to real life, we see "bastions of democracy" states work along dictators and regimes for the sake of peace or what is perceived as the "greater good".....this is hardly any different...really.... history is full of examples some of which far worse than Apocalypse (which is mostly just chatter and badge).
    Last edited by Daedra; 10-21-2020 at 12:51 PM.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

I feel like it'll work if Apocalypse doesn't come out on top at the end of this story, otherwise I'm totally with you.

Fantastic Member

For years, I've never wanted to make out with Apocalypse.
    Until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    It's just a form a pragmatism derived from the imperative "THIS TIME WE ARE GOING TO BREAK ALL THE RULES" I think people are too quick to forget the premise of this new era for the mutant race, it all stems from the powers of X/house of X issues. But even if we stick to real life, we see "bastions of democracy" states work along dictators and regimes for the sake of peace or what is perceived as the "greater good".....this is hardly any different...really.... history is full of examples some of which far worse than Apocalypse (which is mostly just chatter and badge).
    I know most countries have done some awful shady junk and worked with bad people, but the guy literally ended civilizations and jokes about ending the Bronze Age. And that's not even getting into the Age of Apocalypse (which conveniently never mentioned any of this). It feels kind of different.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunasammiches View Post
    For years, I've never wanted to make out with Apocalypse.
    Until now.
    We all have our kinks?