Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Starbrand and Nighmask

After reading the horrible mess that Aaron is writing in Avengers, I went and reread some of Hickman's run and and I was torn on his versions of the New Universe concepts, along with his version of Captain Universe. I thought they were too powerful and had little to no real character -- just means to further his grand story.
    But after reading the limited series staring Starbrand (Kevin Conner) and Nightmask (Adam Darkveil) I've come to really like them and their partnership. It's really sad that Marvel has give Aaron such carte blanche on disregarding or totally wiping away with Hickman's creations. To see Ghost Rider kill Kevin so easily was stupid. Ignoring Nightmask and his connection with the Starbrand is stupid. Giving the starbrand to a newborn baby is stupid. And Claiming that the Starbrand was on Earth and apart of some team 1 million years ago is stupid.
    Hickman plainly stated that the Starbrand was a planetary defence mechanism created during the LAST WHITE EVENT after a literal FIRST WHITE EVENT that ushers the Starbrand heralds. And the way it was written, this was the first time this happened because of the incursions (if I'm remembering right). Arron seems to have not cared for that and thinks the brand is just some cosmic mystery he can change whenever he wants like he does with Thor and especially Mjolnir. Like, why was the human woman and her unborn baby branded in Shi'ar space without a White Event? Are we to assume that this brand is Earth's? It was shown in SB & NM series that other planets can have their own Starbrand. Why could it not be the Shi'ar's, even though it didn't appear on a planet, but on a prison transfer ship. And if it had to go to some because Kevin was killed, then why not give it to the girl it supposed to have gone to in the first place (read the limited series)! AKA not another white person! MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!!!!

Speaking of other Starbrands, will we ever see the Kree's Starbrand again?

I highly doubt Aaron will explain what happened to the Starbrand that came to Earth 65 million years ago after bonding with the Hulk-looking guy on that stupid team. Nor will he mention what happened to Nightmask who was deeply connected to the Starbrand. He will just act like it the same brand, moving around the universe, bonding with whomever for no apparent reason.

Now I'm not saying Kevin was this great character that shouldn't have been killed off. I just think it was done in the most perplexing way. I do think Kevin did have potential. Yes he was too powerful, but there was a way to limited them according to the threat level posed to the Earth. Meaning, he wouldn't have access use cosmic level powers when dealing with everyday villain problems. The more powerful the threat the more powerful he'd become... something like being a Saiyan or whatever.

But truthfully, I'm just saying all of this because it was nice to see a cosmic level black guy flying around and I'm sad we'll probably never see him again, or if we do, he'll just be killed off.

So what are y'all opinion on the Starbrand and Nightmask and if we will ever see Adam Darkveil again?

SBandNMjpg.jpg

Mighty Member

Here's hoping that whomever takes over Avengers after Aaron has Dr. Strange or Mephisto say, yeah umm we're just messing inside your heads. Nothing that happened was real.

Mighty Member

They had a lot of potential, but I knew after no one bought the book that the characters were doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    After reading the horrible mess that Aaron is writing in Avengers, I went and reread some of Hickman's run and and I was torn on his versions of the New Universe concepts, along with his version of Captain Universe. I thought they were too powerful and had little to no real character -- just means to further his grand story.
    But after reading the limited series staring Starbrand (Kevin Conner) and Nightmask (Adam Darkveil) I've come to really like them and their partnership. It's really sad that Marvel has give Aaron such carte blanche on disregarding or totally wiping away with Hickman's creations. To see Ghost Rider kill Kevin so easily was stupid. Ignoring Nightmask and his connection with the Starbrand is stupid. Giving the starbrand to a newborn baby is stupid. And Claiming that the Starbrand was on Earth and apart of some team 1 million years ago is stupid.
    Hickman plainly stated that the Starbrand was a planetary defence mechanism created during the LAST WHITE EVENT after a literal FIRST WHITE EVENT that ushers the Starbrand heralds. And the way it was written, this was the first time this happened because of the incursions (if I'm remembering right). Arron seems to have not cared for that and thinks the brand is just some cosmic mystery he can change whenever he wants like he does with Thor and especially Mjolnir. Like, why was the human woman and her unborn baby branded in Shi'ar space without a White Event? Are we to assume that this brand is Earth's? It was shown in SB & NM series that other planets can have their own Starbrand. Why could it not be the Shi'ar's, even though it didn't appear on a planet, but on a prison transfer ship. And if it had to go to some because Kevin was killed, then why not give it to the girl it supposed to have gone to in the first place (read the limited series)! AKA not another white person! MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!!!!

Speaking of other Starbrands, will we ever see the Kree's Starbrand again?

I highly doubt Aaron will explain what happened to the Starbrand that came to Earth 65 million years ago after bonding with the Hulk-looking guy on that stupid team. Nor will he mention what happened to Nightmask who was deeply connected to the Starbrand. He will just act like it the same brand, moving around the universe, bonding with whomever for no apparent reason.

Now I'm not saying Kevin was this great character that shouldn't have been killed off. I just think it was done in the most perplexing way. I do think Kevin did have potential. Yes he was too powerful, but there was a way to limited them according to the threat level posed to the Earth. Meaning, he wouldn't have access use cosmic level powers when dealing with everyday villain problems. The more powerful the threat the more powerful he'd become... something like being a Saiyan or whatever.

But truthfully, I'm just saying all of this because it was nice to see a cosmic level black guy flying around and I'm sad we'll probably never see him again, or if we do, he'll just be killed off.

So what are y'all opinion on the Starbrand and Nightmask and if we will ever see Adam Darkveil again?

SBandNMjpg.jpg
    I'm with you for about 95% of this! I read the series and felt it deserved to be either ended or retooled. Didn't think that was the best route for them to go with those 2. Yes, I was upset over Adam's death he had so much potential to be a major cosmic/earth player. I saw them as 2 sides to the same coin.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    ... if we will ever see Adam Darkveil again?
    My gut says yes. But it will probably be something like Cloak and Nightmask becoming merged into a single character.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    My gut says yes. But it will probably be something like Cloak and Nightmask becoming merged into a single character.
    Lol, so in other words, Marvel ain't bring either of them back! I'm curious though. What makes this scenario a possible in your mind?

Fantastic Member

It’d be cool if they came back, also I’d like Nightmask to meet Blue Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by HipHopAvenger View Post
    It’d be cool if they came back, also I’d like Nightmask to meet Blue Marvel
    Adam would be a perfect mentor for Nightmask, and they could be a great duo with endless stories to tell from two very powerful black male heroes. It's crazy to know that there are characters out there but they are overlooked.

Hickman's Avengers and Kevin were bad, that mini and Kevin were bad, and Aaron's stuff is bad but his two Starbrand stories have been good and the baby is cute so Aaron's calling the shots.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Hickman's Avengers and Kevin were bad, that mini and Kevin were bad, and Aaron's stuff is bad but his two Starbrand stories have been good and the baby is cute so Aaron's calling the shots.
    It's still a little incomprehensible why Kevin died, though. Like, he just went crazy... because.

I liked the concept of the Starbrand and all the other New Universal stuff, the idea of the planet having natural systems in place for when it rose to a higher level of the omniverse. And I thought Hickman brought it into the MU relatively well, but neither his Starbrand or Nightmask really seemed like characters who would last. But he made me believe that a white event had happened on the 616, and that those forces could remain in play even if the original wielders didn't.

And while I dropped Avengers ages ago, I don't like Aaron introducing the new Starbrand with Avengers BC. Goes against the entire premise of the white event.

But I still believe in the basic concepts, and I hope Marvel finds a good way to use them.
    Last edited by Ascended; 10-22-2020 at 06:26 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I kinda feel like Aaron's avengers will be mostly if not entirely retconned in the end. Not only does he seem to have no restrictions in what he can do but no other book seems to reference anything he does besides the direct changes to the team members.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I liked the concept of the Starbrand and all the other New Universal stuff, the idea of the planet having natural systems in place for when it rose to a higher level of the omniverse. And I thought Hickman brought it into the MU relatively well, but neither his Starbrand or Nightmask really seemed like characters who would last. But he made me believe that a white event had happened on the 616, and that those forces could remain in play even if the original wielders didn't.

And while I dropped Avengers ages ago, I don't like Aaron introducing the new Starbrand with Avengers BC. Goes against the entire premise of the white event.

But I still believe in the basic concepts, and I hope Marvel finds a good way to use them.
    I don't mind per se the idea that the White Event has happened before, though I agree Aaron's interpretation is lacking. It's not where I would've gone with it, but I can roll with it.

It bugged me that Hickman's Avengers implied that the White Event went incorrectly, and thus only Nightmask and Starbrand were introduced. I was glad when Ewing introduced more NU characters in his Ultimates.

Quote Originally Posted by mung View Post
    I kinda feel like Aaron's avengers will be mostly if not entirely retconned in the end. Not only does he seem to have no restrictions in what he can do but no other book seems to reference anything he does besides the direct changes to the team members.
    Aaron is the new Bendis!? Doing whatever he want!?

Ultimate Member

I won't pretend I was much of a fan of Starbrand, but I really don't think it helps new characters to immediately kill one off and pass on the mantle.