Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Marvel Unlimited 3 Month Delay

I wanted to post about something that has really been bugging me after I read the recent news that updates to Marvel Unlimited will changed from six months to three months. I really don't see anyone talking about this and to be honest it really upsets me. I have been a comic book reader since the 1980's and I love comic books. At this point in my life I am in a fortunate enough position where I regularly spend upwards of $200 per month on my pull list. I have been ignoring digital comics because I am just not interested in that format at all. I understood that one could purchase digitally for the same price as a physical copy and I honestly had no problem with that. What really upsets me is when a person can read entire runs of very recent comics for only $9.99 a month. A six month delay is one thing but moving that date up three months changes things in my mind and it's extremely unfair to the customers who regularly purchase physical copies of books.

It's not really unfair so much as it's just a consequence of COVID-19. The delay from no new books released allowed their digital team time to catch with the scans and digital optimization. However, I see what you mean about the pricing point, but I see it as no different than buying a physical DVD with a movie or subscribing to a streaming service that has that same movie - different routes for different consumers.

Some people, like yourself, spend the money on the physical copies and can afford to do that. But for those, like me, who are not able/willing to spend that much per month, the Marvel Unlimited route is a perfect alternative. I've read a considerable amount of comics on MU that I would have had to otherwise buy digitally or in print, which wasn't feasible for me. Not only that, but reading those runs in the service also gives me a gateway to acquiring them in print because I like them so much. Is that really so bad?

I would just say consider those viewpoints and see if it's really unfair. But I appreciate you speaking your mind.

Nothing has really changed for Marvel Unlimited. They're getting the exact same comics they were getting before, only they're getting some of them sooner. That you are paying $200 and they are paying $9.99 for the same thing only means that you are lucky and they are smart.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Kind of is what it is. Covid really exposed the double-edged nature of the comic industry clingy to just the physical market for survival.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

If the argument is that it's unfair to people who buy floppies, nobody is forcing them to buy those. If they prefer physical media that's all well and good, but that doesn't mean people who prefer digital should be constrained.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolein View Post
    I have been ignoring digital comics because I am just not interested in that format at all. I understood that one could purchase digitally for the same price as a physical copy and I honestly had no problem with that.
    I have a problem with that, they should be cheaper, alas when Dark Horse wanted to do that they were blackmailed by the direct market industry.
    What really upsets me is when a person can read entire runs of very recent comics for only $9.99 a month. A six month delay is one thing but moving that date up three months changes things in my mind and it's extremely unfair to the customers who regularly purchase physical copies of books.
    Now, that one is good.

If you think your way of getting comics is not worth it, then drop it and jump on Marvel Unlimited. Direct Market degenerated from a solution to a problem years ago, and now finally it's acknowledged by the industry. Well, Marvel might just be trying to not be left behind. The new version of DC Universe (which has six months delay, but is cheaper and has exclusive titles), MangaPlus/WSJ, Kodansha simulpubbing available via Comixology Unlimited, Archie Unlimited has no delay either I think. The industry has to start to catch up to the more successful comic industries, or it will die.

Now, if only they made their app not suck.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    The delay from no new books released allowed their digital team time to catch with the scans and digital optimization. However, I see what you mean about the pricing point, but I see it as no different than buying a physical DVD with a movie or subscribing to a streaming service that has that same movie - different routes for different consumers.
    These books are available digitally as soon as the physical books are released so I doubt it has anything to do with catching up. I agree with the second point, as a physical reader I don't really care what digital people pay. Either the physical price tag is worth the money or not. Now my armchair quarterback side might have some thoughts about the effect on the direct market but that is not relevant to fairness.

More important than being unfair to the people who buy floppies, this is harmful to the ever-dwindling number of comic book shops.
    Wanna make somethin' of it?

The industry is not going to survive by pretending we're in the late 80s forever. It sucks that comic shops have been having a rough time, but handicapping digital is not gonna fix things.

Ask the music industry how trying everything possible to kill MP3s ultimately worked out for them.
    Last edited by Holt; 10-21-2020 at 11:39 AM.

now now guys marvel continues to screw both physical and digital readers by not reprinting old material anyway so let's all get along
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    now now guys marvel continues to screw both physical and digital readers by not reprinting old material anyway so let's all get along
    Now come on; that's just untrue. They have a thriving collections department that collects plenty of old material.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I'm just happy for people that consume their comics in that way. I dont understand the bitterness.

I kind of understand the frustration, but I also don't. I also collect physical copies over digital (Which will change once I switch jobs and the current runs I'm collecting end), but I don't think you should ever be angry about people being able to get digital comics for cheaper and later than we do. It's great to have a form of pop culture so easily accessible to people who maybe can't afford to have it as a main hobby. As other posters have said, no one's forcing us to buy these, it's our choice - if you enjoy it then keep going, but if you think the other way is more cost effective then ween yourself over to that way of collecting.

You have to remember as well, digital comic book readership is such a low part of the industry in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Now come on; that's just untrue. They have a thriving collections department that collects plenty of old material.
    Marvel certainly has DC beat in this department.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

This feels like an "if I can't be happy, no one can" argument. If you like physical copies (I do too), then they have value to you even if people could go on Unlimited the same day. If you're only buying floppies because you don't want to wait for Unlimited, then don't buy floppies if a three month wait is OK. But all you're asking for is deprive others of something.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?