Default What hero would you like to see at work more often?

I think Clark is a good example of character who's co-workers were often utilized (some would argue over-utilized at times). Hal in the early days. I'd have liked to have seen more of Barry at work than we typically did. Lucius Fox served the role of an ordinary person not in the know once upon a time. I thought Vixen working and seeing employees of hers could be interesting.

I think co-workers make a decent way to have civilian (unknowing of secret identity) characters in the supporting cast. Hardly the only way, but a way. And it gives us a sense the heroes have lives outside of being heroes. Not the only way to accomplish that, of course, but it's nice.

So, what heroes would you like to see more of at work or have a supporting or tertiary cast made up of their co-workers? Are there any heroes you would give jobs for that purpose, and who and what jobs?
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-21-2020 at 11:36 AM.

I really liked what Simone was trying to set up for Ryan Choi and Ivy University and Ivy Town itself. I know there's a fly's fart's chance in a hurricane of ever seeing that again, and that's too bad.

As mentioned, Hal Jordan. He has a cool job, and I don't care how many people think it's out of fashion (at least as much as "newspaperman") - there's a way to make it work. I'd like to see him crash less, but I liked the whole Ferris Air setting. (but I don't need it as a source of superhero drama or storylines - it worked better as part of Hal's life, not GL's)

Vixen: We've only had glimpses, but she has an intriguing concept for a civilian ID that's been largely untapped.

Jessica Cruz needs a life on earth. She was locked in her apartment for so long, and then she's been in space for awhile now. I didn't read her title with Baz so I'm not sure what they established there, but considering her rise in prominence since her introduction, a personal life and supporting characters is something that all top-tier heroes need. Her mental health issues is one of the things that made her immediately relatable and defined her at first, but it makes less sense for it to become an issue as a GL the more she's been doing it. Perhaps she can use that as part of her civilian life, to help others so it's still part of her as a character without being used as a possible weakness in the field. (hopefully without being too heavy-handed)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 10-21-2020 at 11:33 AM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I would echo Barry as well. Choi and Ivy Town was cool.

J'onn would benefit from consistent supporting characters. Even if he does travel.

I really liked Diana working at the embassy.

I agree that a supporting cast is necessary for a hero to become high-profile. That, and memorable villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I would echo Barry as well. Choi and Ivy Town was cool.

J'onn would benefit from consistent supporting characters. Even if he does travel.

I really liked Diana working at the embassy.

I agree that a supporting cast is necessary for a hero to become high-profile. That, and memorable villains.
    J'onn has been depicted with human police partners, although never any with real staying power.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Dick as a Circus leader, because it has the most colorful cast

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    J'onn has been depicted with human police partners, although never any with real staying power.
    Yep that's what came to mind, partners with a bit more staying power, and some recurring characters outside of his workplace as well. A neighbor, a friend, a romantic interest, etc.

Diana’s embassy work.

Astonishing Member

All of the Titans need jobs.

Richard, Donna, Garth, Roy, Wally...they all seem to be full-time heroes?

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

A couple in particular spring to mind that could really open up some avenues to GREAT stories.

Barry Allen - Police CSI. Let's see some stories where Barry is interacting with fellow cops. Saving the day as Barry NOT Flash.
    J'onn J'onzz - PI. I'd really enjoy some hard boiled private investigator stories with 'John Jones'.
    Hal Jordan - Test pilot. Geoff Johns did a story early in his GL run that highlighted Hal the pilot running a black op mission.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

Dick as a cop in Blüdhaven.

I can’t answer for anyone else because despite many of them keeping secret identities, I forget that they have jobs a lot of the time.

Hawkman.

Specifically at the Stonechat Museum. A place like that must have all kinds of history, secrets, and staff to interact with; seeing HM in “Prof. Jones” mode more often would make his transformation into “Indy” have a little more impact.

Jessica needs a job. She's the only Earth Lantern with no profession. Come on, Jess, you left your fears behind and you were recently the leader of a friking Justice League team.

Other than that, Diana working as an ambassador.

Basically anyone who still keeps a secret identity, really.

Clark's job could be the source of *so* many stories right now. The slow death of print and the rise of digital, the "fake news" movement....lots of stuff with print that you could tackle without actually getting into commentary about real world situations.

I don't think Kyle Rayner works without his civilian life at all. Dude is built to be an Everyman archetype, not a Maverick Cowboy archetype like Hal, and without having to pay rent or deal with loud neighbors....Kyle's a shell of his former self.

J'onn should have like, ten different lives and all of them should be odd and interesting. His old Zero Hour era solo gave us glimpses of some great ones and I've always lamented them being forgotten.

Barry's CSI job should be cool and useful as hell and isn't used nearly as much as it should be.

Yeah, pretty much everyone who still has a secret identity could benefit from that facet actually getting valid page time.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Dick as a cop in Blüdhaven.
    I liked Dick being a cop in the first Nightwing ongoing. And Amy Rohrbach. That series really lost steam with One Year Later.