Default Comics adaptation of King Arthur

Hi, all. One of my (too many) amateur interests is Arthurian legends and literature. I'm aware that countless comic books have borrowed characters and concepts to one degree or another. But I've never been able to identify any comic that adapts the familiar, core story - you know, sword in the stone, Holy Grail, Lancelot and Guinevere gettin' it on, the fall of Camelot, etc. Does anyone recall anything of the sort?

Thanks in advance.

The Classics Illustrated version immediately comes to mind...

a smaller indy company called SelfMadeHero is publishing an adaptation of Mallory's Le Morte d'Artur (it may be a UK company)

more here: http://www.geeksyndicate.co.uk/comic...g-of-the-king/ and here https://www.selfmadehero.com/books/le-morte-d-arthur#

Kieron Gillen's Once and Future draws heavily on Arthurian lore but is not an adaptation, more like a more modern reimagining of it, much like Camelot 3000 by Barr and Bolland.

Caliber did a series based on the idea of Arthur returning called Camelot Eternal in the 90s, as well as a historical fiction series based on Arthurian legend called Legends of Camelot. Under their Tome imprint, they also did a series called Arthur, King of Britain. The later was collected and released in trade paperback in 2017.

Candlewick Press did a book in 2011 called Excalibur: The Legend of King Arthur as an OGN.

Stone Arch Books id a YA targeted OGN in 207 called King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.

BOOM Studios did a Muppet King Arthur series retelling Arthurian legend using the Muppets...

Then of course, Prince Valiant, the long running Sunday comic strip and its comic offshoots has been telling stories set in the age of Arthur starting when the strip launched in 1937 and has been collected in several different series.

I am sure there are plenty more as well, but that should get you started...

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 11-27-2021 at 07:19 PM.
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Once & Future by Kieron Gillen, is pretty amazing

Wow, MPR, you're on the ball with your Arthurian comics. Thanks for the notes. I had no idea there was a Muppet King Arthur. Coincidentally, I've also been recently watching lots of Muppet Show clips on YouTube.

I've poked around a little online looking at samples of the books you mention, and none of them look very visually compelling, which is a shame. Still, I'll try to check out those that I can find, out of the academic completionist impulse I have about these things.

I have "Once and Future" on my pull list and have enjoyed it, though I fell way behind last year on my comics, including that one. Interestingly, Cullen Bunn also recently did an "evil King Arthur" series with "Unholy Grail," which I haven't read.