Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    2

    Default Single mom ISO HELP FRM SOME1 WILLING 2OFFER THEIR COMIC BOOK KNOWLEDGE

    Iím a single mom quickly running out of time trying to help my son with an essay so if there is anyone out there kind enough to take the time to offer a little of their knowledge or comic books I would so greatly appreciate it! I need to find a superhero thatís done things to portray a villain or a villain thatís done 3 things heroic. I do not have time to research this and I am to my whits end trying to find this info. I also need pics and like what issue the hero or villain showed these characteristics opposite of him being a villain or hero. I AM NOW DESPERATE SO PLEASE HELP ME, thereís got to be someone who can help us out there. Iím not sure how this community and posting forums work. But I guess I wait for someone bro reply on here if possible email the info, just 3 examples of hero being villain or vice versa. Thank you very much for your time

  2. #2
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrandiDanielle_0208 View Post
    I’m a single mom quickly running out of time trying to help my son with an essay so if there is anyone out there kind enough to take the time to offer a little of their knowledge or comic books I would so greatly appreciate it! I need to find a superhero that’s done things to portray a villain or a villain that’s done 3 things heroic. I do not have time to research this and I am to my whits end trying to find this info. I also need pics and like what issue the hero or villain showed these characteristics opposite of him being a villain or hero. I AM NOW DESPERATE SO PLEASE HELP ME, there’s got to be someone who can help us out there. I’m not sure how this community and posting forums work. But I guess I wait for someone bro reply on here if possible email the info, just 3 examples of hero being villain or vice versa. Thank you very much for your time
    Batman is a hero, but willing to use violence and circumvent the law to apprehend his targets. On the flip side, Dr Doom is a villian, but you could argue that he is a good leader and cares for his people in Latveria. Not exactly what you need but a starting point?

  3. #3
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Thank you grither! I see I’ve had like 40 views but no replies �� . Yes thank you for your info, it does give us a starting point. I copy/pasted exactly what he’s supposed to do, just FYI or if anyone else wants to offer any info...

    1. Pick a hero or villain for American comic book history
    2. Research how in the history of the character he or she has demonstrated characteristics that go against his or her overall imagine. For example: If the character is portrayed as a hero throughout history, find examples where the character has displayed the opposite of hero behavior.
    3. MUST include at least three (3) topics of opposite behavior.
    4. Create a thesis statement that shows the argument that will be stated in the essay. The thesis statement should include the three (3) topics that will be explored in the essay.
    5. Structure the essay as instructed for a five-paragraph essay. Refer to Writing Resources from the beginning of the semester. (Intro, body paragraphs, conclusion)
    6. Type essay in a Google doc or on Word docx. Formatting must be Times New Roman, 12pt, double-spaced.
    7. Paragraphs should be 5-7 sentences each
    8. Use Grammarly to check for errors

  4. #4
    Moderator Balakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dundee, Scotland
    Posts
    6,000

    Default

    I can't give you exact issue numbers but the easy one is Harley Quinn: started out as the Joker's sidekick but now she is kind of an anti hero. I think that started with the first issue of the 52 reboot (so the first issue written by Amanda Conner from ...2011?) and I'm pretty sure she says it herself in it that she is trying to reform and like...saves a dog or a cat? So if you start flipping through those issues (you can find them on comixology online) I'm pretty sure you will find 3 heroic moments in no time.

  5. #5
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    546

    Default

    I can recall two instances of Batman doing things he would never do.

    One when he used a gun to kill Darkseid. Batman has an anti-kill rule, but in this case due to how powerful the enemy was he had to kill him. One could argue that is it the same taking an extra-terrestial's life as it is human. ETC..

    Another time is in the Kiliing Joke when Batman held Joker by the neck. The ending is ambiguous but it can be interpreted as Batman killing Joker.

    Also the fact that Batman laughed at one of Joker’s jokes at the end is also something he would never do.

    There is one instance in Heroes in Crisis when Wally West (FLash) loses control of his speed force and accidentally kills some people. But instead of reporting it he tries to hide the evidence. Which is way out of character.
    Last edited by Punjabi_Hitman; 10-21-2020 at 04:30 PM.

  6. #6
    Fantastic Member tv horror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    397

    Default

    I would suggest getting a book on the history of comics and search through that much like both the Black Widow and Hawkeye both Marvel were villains to begin with then turned heroes. There was also Magneto Scarlet Witch Quicksilver and even Wolverine. Images can easily be downloaded from Google, in fact if you type the question into Google it might come up with more answers to your questions and provide links, good luck.
    Hail Hydra!

  7. #7
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Another you could use is Two-Face as he uses a specially marked coin which he flips before doing anything, if it lands on the BAD side he will commit crimes but if it lands on the GOOD side he will perform heroic acts (sometimes even helping Batman)

    Mr Freeze (at least around the 90's to 2000's) and a Flash villain called Peek-a-Boo both commit crimes because they have a loved one in critical care and its the only way they are able to get what they need to save their loved ones life

  8. #8
    I am the law Judge Dredd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mega-City One
    Posts
    1,757

    Default

    Judge Dredd has been a villain/hero for years especially in America storyline he is pretty horrible. He also killed like 500 million civilizations once during a war, but the creator writes him to be both the bad and good guy.

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    WGBS
    Posts
    2,213

    Default

    1. Superman killing Zod in Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel
    2. Superman executes Lex Luthor in the Justice Lord Saga from the Justice League Animated series.
    3. Superman Injustice series where he kills the Joker.

    Red Son Superman by Mark Millar
    Superman Multiversity Splendour Falls by Grant Morrison
    Superman King of Earth Action Comics 311

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member Captain Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    4,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrandiDanielle_0208 View Post
    Thank you grither! I see I’ve had like 40 views but no replies �� . Yes thank you for your info, it does give us a starting point. I copy/pasted exactly what he’s supposed to do, just FYI or if anyone else wants to offer any info...

    1. Pick a hero or villain for American comic book history
    2. Research how in the history of the character he or she has demonstrated characteristics that go against his or her overall imagine. For example: If the character is portrayed as a hero throughout history, find examples where the character has displayed the opposite of hero behavior.
    3. MUST include at least three (3) topics of opposite behavior.
    4. Create a thesis statement that shows the argument that will be stated in the essay. The thesis statement should include the three (3) topics that will be explored in the essay.
    5. Structure the essay as instructed for a five-paragraph essay. Refer to Writing Resources from the beginning of the semester. (Intro, body paragraphs, conclusion)
    6. Type essay in a Google doc or on Word docx. Formatting must be Times New Roman, 12pt, double-spaced.
    7. Paragraphs should be 5-7 sentences each
    8. Use Grammarly to check for errors
    I'm intrigued that this is an assignment using COMIC BOOK characters. I take it this is an English or Literature class, perhaps HS level?
    What does it say about the saturation of this medium into the mainstream conscious? I wouldn't expect the students to know Shakespeare or Poe any better but Comic Book characters cover such a vast expanse of time, written by many over many decades.

    Spider-man (Peter Parker) lost his marbles for a bit when he found out he was allegedly a clone(Clone Saga) and slapped his wife Mary Jane around. I don't recall the 90s issue off hand. Not heroic or honorable.
    Peter Parker made a deal with the proverbial "devil" to save his Aunt Mays life which by all accounts goes against everything Aunt May would want. Mid 2000s story called One More Day.
    Bound to be a third example somewhere if this was a choice.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I'm intrigued that this is an assignment using COMIC BOOK characters. I take it this is an English or Literature class, perhaps HS level?
    What does it say about the saturation of this medium into the mainstream conscious? I wouldn't expect the students to know Shakespeare or Poe any better but Comic Book characters cover such a vast expanse of time, written by many over many decades.

    Spider-man (Peter Parker) lost his marbles for a bit when he found out he was allegedly a clone(Clone Saga) and slapped his wife Mary Jane around. I don't recall the 90s issue off hand. Not heroic or honorable.
    Peter Parker made a deal with the proverbial "devil" to save his Aunt Mays life which by all accounts goes against everything Aunt May would want. Mid 2000s story called One More Day.
    Bound to be a third example somewhere if this was a choice.
    This was a weird necropost, it's unlikely the OP will ever read any of this
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

  12. #12
    of House Bolton Ramsay Snow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    This was a weird necropost, it's unlikely the OP will ever read any of this
    Blame Johnny Thunders!.........He's the one that resurrected this thread a year after the fact.

    OP should've told us what grade her son got on the paper.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    WGBS
    Posts
    2,213

    Default

    Hmmm it just showed up?!? Oh well I was proud to finally use my comic trivia for good.

  14. #14
    Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Kids should do their own homework.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •