Default Chronological Index of Batman gadgets...?

Is there a chronological Index (date issue #) of Batman gadgets, weapons, vehicles, etc?

List of them?
    When they first appeared, were used?
    Significant updates, evolution of, visual changes, etc. ?
    I think there is a few for the Batmobile, but anyone want to share specific in comic scans with dates and issue numbers.
    Edit: Or screen caps from tv show, film.
    Particularly for everything other than the Batmobile.

If not, anyone want to help make one, post any they know for certain.
    Preferably with date, issue numbers, scan, screen cap where they first appeared, if possible.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-22-2020 at 06:23 AM.

Depends on what type of gadgets - one off or recurring. Detective Comics #29 (July 1939) has gas pellets and suction cup gloves.
    Bat Gadget.jpg

I'm interested in the first grapple gun. At least once I've seen it speculated it originated in the movie, but am unsure if that's at all true.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Depends on what type of gadgets - one off or recurring.
    Hoping to see examples of both collected here.
    Yours is a perfect example ^.
    And the likes of the first visual use, or visual evolution of for example- the grapple-gun from simple throwing rope line and grapple, to full mechanical gadget, is exactly the type I'm carious about.
    As well as vehicle firsts, and significant evolution.
    And anything Robin or Batfem specific.

Last edited by Güicho; 06-03-2023 at 08:15 AM.

Detective Comics #31 (September 1939), Batgyro and "baterang"

Batarang.jpg

"Batplane" appears in #32.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-21-2020 at 04:00 PM.

The history of the grapnel is pretty much noted on this wikia page: https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Batrope, with the grapnel as he now know it apparently first appearing in Batman #414 (Dec 1987) (two years before the movie Batman (1989)).
    The gliding cape became popular after Batman Begins, with Red Robin (Timothy Drake) first using it following the movie although I can not remember the exact issue he does it in. I think it was after a "suit upgrade" while fighting Ras al Ghul.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Bruce used his regular car as the Batmobile since #27
    In #28 the first Bat-rope appear, then just a silk rope

jumping to the future...

The Flying Batmobile first appear as the car Batman couldn't finish in Batman and Son, the issue when Damian first arrived at the cave. Then it was finished by Damian and first used in Batman and Robin Reborn #1

The EMP mask first worn by Dick Grayson in Black Mirror

The contact lens with access to Bat computer first appeared in The Court of Owls Batman #1
    New 52 Batman #2 introduces the holographic projector connected directly to the GCPD morgue so they don't have to sneak in there anymore

Batman's Promethium machine used to implant memories of Bruce Wayne to his future clones so they all become Batman and then later used to give Bruce his memory back so he can fight Mr. Bloom in the present day, first appeared in the anniversary anthology of New 52 Detective Comics #27

I think it was New 52 Batman #0 set in Zero Year that introduces the timer Batarang that once thrown and embedded somewhere will return to his hand once the timer's out.

New 52 Batman #22 Zero Year introduces voice-controlled grappling gun prototype where Bruce can just say "come back" and the grapple will unhook back to the gun
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-21-2020 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthborn View Post
    The gliding cape became popular after Batman Begins, with Red Robin (Timothy Drake) first using it following the movie .

Yet, Batman 1989
    or 92 Returns- https://i.imgflip.com/4jgiqo.gif
    This is exactly why I though of this thread, as we can also track the evolution:
    Don't know that it's first, hopefully this thread will bring that out
    Cape as Glider:

1966- Brave and the Bold #64

1979 - Batman #312

Also apparently we'll need to distinguish between the actual cape as glider, - vs gadgets / harness added for gliding, or straight up adding separate gliding wings, which would also be nice to track.

A bit of irony is Kane whose been somewhat vilified and mocked for his proto-Bat-Man design, I think originally envisioned the cape being able to shape back and forth, from stiff gliding wings to a cape.
    The first stories are full of this visual transition. Where when swinging, leaping etc, the wings seem to lock up to glide, then when he lands or standing it switches back to a more flowing cape.
    I think cause it's somewhat clumsily illustrated, that decades later they had to "rediscover", what was already there from the go.
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-22-2020 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthborn View Post
    The history of the grapnel is pretty much noted on this wikia page: https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Batrope, with the grapnel as he now know it apparently first appearing in Batman #414 (Dec 1987) (two years before the movie Batman (1989)).
    Great resource...

Gun with suction....

Aug, 1966 - Batman #183 (I think I had this toy as a kid!)

Actual grapnel guns

Dec, 1966 - Batman #188
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-22-2020 at 09:06 AM.

Utility-belt hidden compartments concept , ...contains choking gas capsules.
    June 1939 - Detective Comics #29

Night Vision Goggles:
    March, 1940 - Detective #37

Night vision / infra-red
    looking for first transition from Goggles, to recognition of built in Lenses...?
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-03-2023 at 05:56 AM.

Evolution of body armor...
    Another that seems to have had to have been rediscovered -
    Along with the first telling of his origin, Detective #33 first reveals he wears a bullet proof vest.

Nov, 1939 Detective #33

Then reaffirmed:
    Mar, 1940 Batman #1

Examples to when it first becomes full body armor and armored cowl? > 89 film?
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-27-2020 at 11:27 AM.