Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default What are your overall thoughts about Future State?

What do you think about Future State and its contents? Do you like it? Or would you rather it not happen? And where do you think it will lead to afterwards? What are your opinions? I would like to know please.

Astonishing Member

I don't know how to feel.

Astonishing Member

It sounds pretty contrived to me. I'd rather they just went with the obvious and put people like Damian or the current Kid Flash in the roles rather than trying to create new legacies.

The descriptions make me wonder if this is just a one-off like Convergence that doesn't really have any impact on the on-goings.

Personally, I'm still deciding if I'll just take a break from DC while this is happening as nothing really sounds that compelling to me. It's another Elseworlds like Future's End, Convergence, or the never ending Metal that will ultimately be ignored by the next creative gods DC brings in to write the regular books.

I'm curious about the "replacements" and the DCEU in the 2030s.

BANNED

I honestly don't care. But to be totally transparent, I don't really read new DC Comics regularly anymore. If something sounds especially interesting to me, I might check it out to see what I think, but I'm not a regular consumer of the stuff by any means.

Future State does not look like anything I'm willing to check out, and there are some things about it I have a problem with at a very core level. I find I'm not all that interested in heroes passing down mantels, probably because I've seen it way too much in this genre and also the effects of it. I know Future State isn't a long term thing, but still...

Most heroes worth their salt to me own and originate their own identities and mythologies. I guess what I feel is especially troubling about this is that passing on mantels seems all that DC Comics can do when creating new characters and the company is resolved in that thinking, and it's just old hat to me at this point. Of course, people will say that the fans aren't interested in anything new, and there is truth to that, but I also think that fans aren't interested in anything bad, and from what I've seen from these comics publishers is that for every 1 good idea they have, there are about 150 or more that are either bad or are of little note. But whatever the case, whether it's an unreasonable fanbase or whatever, that's DC's problem to sort out, and for me, personally, until they do, I don't have much interest in the way they generally do things with adding legacies ad nauseum.

Furthermore, I just don't care about a What If future and I also don't like events that overtake near the whole publishing line. Again, it has to do with the oversaturation of that sort of thing. If it wasn't going on all the time, I don't think I would come out and say I "dislike" that sort of thing in principle.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

My thoughts are: "Two months where I buy NO DC books".
    I have zero interest in anything I've seen, ESPECIALLY the Flash with Wally again being the villain of the piece.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    My thoughts are: "Two months where I buy NO DC books".
    I have zero interest in anything I've seen, ESPECIALLY the Flash with Wally again being the villain of the piece.
    This is basically how I feel about it.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I'm taking a wait and see approach to this. After all the dust settles, I'll see which ones people thought were worthwhile and check them out, same as I did with Before Watchmen (which saved me a lot of money)

I think it sounds really interesting in some instances, overwrought in others, and overall I'm glad it's just going to be for two months.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

It’ll be a fun little “what if...?” non canon event that’ll be done before we know it.

Almost every run I'm enjoying on DC will have ended until there, Aquaman, Hawkman, John Constantine: Hellblazer and The Green Lantern. Only TGL will still be going on, and even then it will have just a couple issues left.

So, basically I will have no stakes on this, the only thing that caugh my interest is Superman Worlds of War, because one of the biggest problems with Superman, imo, is that DC keeps him too grounded and bounded to Metropolis and Lex Luthor and as a result Superman ends up neutered.

So far it just seems like any other gimmick - quality will vary, and it will likely have little effect on anything, except for one or two things that people end up liking.

Little bit of good, little bit of bad, little bit of "meh. How I feel about most line-wide announcements for the most part.

Interested in the Green Lantern and the Wonder Woman books, will probably check them out.

The Batman, Superman, and Flash books don't really actively interest me.

I'm all about this. I don't nearly have enough stories worth collecting as a whole and this looks like I'm gonna be able to EAT GOOD for a grip.

thought on it as a whole? to me, with this coinciding with the relaunch of Milestone, this all looks like the new regime looking to make their mark and boost the brand. I'm not as quick to say where this will go ("it's not gonna matter in t-minus whatever") because it's new management and new talent, and I don't wanna be the person caught off guard when/if they start steering in this direction. if they're smart, this is a plan of what the main line continuity is gonna be in a few years and they make adjustments along the way. if that's what they're doing, I'm all here for it. I'm tired of circular storytelling, I know some of y'all are tired of circular storytelling, I bet even Batman is tired of circular storytelling; so yeah, break that wheel Daenerys! I'm most excited for some of the talent being showcased. I'm a huge fan of Excellence and they got both Brandon Thomas and Khary Randolph on the line-up! I am praying for a Brandon Thomas on Duke Thomas title someday.

if this how they pivot and certain people get mad and stop reading, that's fine. they got 70 years of back catalog to enjoy, manga has shown that if the story is good new clientele will come. I would hope that with these latest shake ups there will be less reliance on the gatekeepers that been holding the genre back.

so I'm copping; The Next Batman (most the batman stuff probably), Future State: Aquaman, Green Lanterns: Last Lanterns, Future State: Wonder Woman, Immortal Wonder Woman, and if Damian is done right by I might check out the Tim Drake Robin book (probably won't). Flash and Superman, I might check out if I hear good things.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-21-2020 at 07:32 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I read Tynion’s newsletter and it sounds like he might be planning to go completely creator owned once his Batman run is done (which won’t be for at least another year so he may change his mind). It made me realize just how badly DC needs new blood. Looking at their lineup:
    Snyder is stepping back after Death Metal. He may do a Nightwing BL book but there’s been zero indication he plans on doing another ongoing. He wants to focus on his creator work and it wouldn’t surprise me if his next superhero book is at Marvel.

Morrison is gone after TGL. He only came back because of Didio, and with Didio gone I’m not sure if he’ll come back again. He’s already pretty much done all he can at both of the Big 2, I see him sticking to live action stuff, maybe writing a book just to tweak Moore’s nose

Johns made the switch completely to TV/movie stuff, don’t expect anything beyond the occasional BL book from him.

Rucka is back to his creator owned work, dunno if he’ll come back again.

Tynion is talking about making the switch from Big 2 stuff to creator owned stuff aside from Batman. He may be planning to bounce once he’s done with Bats.

All those guys gone... who is really positioned to take over as DC’s next big superstar?
    Williamson is perhaps the obvious choice, as he’s a Snyder pupil same as Tynion, and he’s coming off his Flash run and still onboard for stuff like Batman/Superman. He’ll probably stick around.

Ram V is definitely the closest DC has to a Ewing in my eyes. Dude is fantastic and I can see DC putting him on the bigger books.

Taylor does nothing for me but he sells well. If I wasn’t certain Bendis will get JL next I’d have said he was the obvious next choice. He works for both companies though, and neither likes to give their big books to someone not locked down with an exclusive.

Bendis is someone whose Superman stuff I’ve enjoyed, but he’s clearly not the sales force he once was, and he’s hasn’t been for a long time. I think he’ll get JL, but I also think he’s lost a lot of leeway with Didio and Harras leaving. I don’t know how long his time at DC will be.

My point with all this is while I don’t think many of the creative stories will have big impacts on the mainline in the future, I absolutely think many of the creatives themselves involved in Future State could become major players in DC’s future. The old guard that pretty much ran DC from the 90s to now are finally either moving on or being pushed out. The 2020s stand to be another shift for DC, like the 10s were for Marvel. Frankly I think that’s a good thing, I hope we’ll get some good stories out of this event and I hope those who do well are rewarded with mainline books.
    Last edited by Vordan; 10-21-2020 at 07:40 PM.