Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I don't like the idea of Tim Fox as the new Batman and preferred Luke.

One thing that drives me nuts about all this negativity is a good deal of it comes from the comics "press" speculating on rumors.

Those people who know what'a actually happening can't shut down the rumor mill because our contracts prevent us from speaking about our projects until we're allowed to.

Most of what you guys think you know about the backstage of 5g is, at best, inaccurate. A good deal of what I'm seeing written and podcasted is straight-up nonsense.

You should be hopeful about what's coming, not looking for bombs. From where I sit, DC is trying to address the entire audience for the first time in a long time, instead of laser focusing on just a diehard few. They've opened the doors to a lot of new creators or those on the come-up. That's good business and it's good for super-hero comics as a whole.

I'm stoked AF, personally, and not just because I get to play around with some of the characters for a minute. I have no idea what most of the other books will be and the stuff I DO know about puts a big smile on my face. I read comics for fun. My collection is HUGE. Any comic i'm not writing is one I'm in the audience for, just like you guys. I can't wait for some of these books to drop.

Mileage certainly varies (I don't care about Swamp Thing, for instance) but this really should be a lot of fun. How much of it sticks is no different than any other two months in comics. If sales are strong, some stuff will stick. If they aren't, they won't. And, anything that does stick will only last until sales drop away.

Just like always.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    One thing that drives me nuts about all this negativity is a good deal of it comes from the comics "press" speculating on rumors.

Those people who know what'a actually happening can't shut down the rumor mill because our contracts prevent us from speaking about our projects until we're allowed to.

Most of what you guys think you know about the backstage of 5g is, at best, inaccurate. A good deal of what I'm seeing written and podcasted is straight-up nonsense.

You should be hopeful about what's coming, not looking for bombs. From where I sit, DC is trying to address the entire audience for the first time in a long time, instead of laser focusing on just a diehard few. They've opened the doors to a lot of new creators or those on the come-up. That's good business and it's good for super-hero comics as a whole.

I'm stoked AF, personally, and not just because I get to play around with some of the characters for a minute. I have no idea what most of the other books will be and the stuff I DO know about puts a big smile on my face. I read comics for fun. My collection is HUGE. Any comic i'm not writing is one I'm in the audience for, just like you guys. I can't wait for some of these books to drop.

Mileage certainly varies (I don't care about Swamp Thing, for instance) but this really should be a lot of fun. How much of it sticks is no different than any other two months in comics. If sales are strong, some stuff will stick. If they aren't, they won't. And, anything that does stick will only last until sales drop away.

Just like always.
    this! all of it!

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I'm having fun guessing who the new Red X is. I'd laugh if its Danny chase from the NTT era.

I’ve been wanting to get back to monthly titles, after a few year hiatus. This looks like a perfect place for me.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm having fun guessing who the new Red X is. I'd laugh if its Danny chase from the NTT era.
    That's actually an idea I've had and kind of dreading.

And anyway, my headcanon states the 2nd Red X from the animated series was Jason Todd. So "meh" to this Future State thing in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    That's actually an idea I've had and kind of dreading.

And anyway, my headcanon states the 2nd Red X from the animated series was Jason Todd. So "meh" to this Future State thing in general.
    I'm actually fine with Red X being Danny chase. I just thought it was funny because Danny is such a deep cut.

I like the fan theory of him being Jason Todd but I'm ok with him not being Jason in the comics. I'm hoping its Damian, Clownhunter or someone new myself.

I'm actually fine with Red X being Danny chase. I just thought it was funny because Danny is such a deep cut.

I like the fan theory of him being Jason Todd but I'm ok with him not being Jason in the comics. I'm hoping its Damian, Clownhunter or someone new myself.
    oooh, I never considered Clownhunter as a possibility. I could get into that!
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    oooh, I never considered Clownhunter as a possibility. I could get into that!
    Someone else mentioned that in the Damian appreciation thread and I just ran with it.

Someone else mentioned that in the Damian appreciation thread and I just ran with it.
    That would be a great way to set up his arc going forward once they return to contemporary times in March. I actually think it would be more that way and seeing him become a Titans student and grow into Red X, than for Damian to just be assuming the identity to replace his Robinhood now that he was forced out by editorial. Although, I want Damian to have something, so iunno if it's an equal trade off either way if Damian gets send to limbo without because he doesn't have a new role.

currently following:

Liking most of what's been announced except for the Flash ****. Evil Wally redux seems like one last middle finger from Didio while he was on his way out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post

Just like always.
    Mr. Thorne, I see that you are writing Future State: Green Lantern. I wish you luck with your project.

However, it's not only what's being reported on the comics sites that makes me pessimistic about Future State, it's the fact that it seems to be a scaled down and truncated version of a Dan DiDio initiative, and the DiDio name is box office poison for a lot of fans due to his repeatedly dropping the ball during his tenure at DC.

I would agree that there should be more representation in comics of all groups, but, for me, I've never really been very fond of the legacy thing -- especially when it leads to so many simultaneous versions of the same character running around all at once. We don't need 14 Robins or Green Lanterns from Earth at the same time. We just don't. When Barry came along, Jay hadn't had his own comic in years. Now, new legacy characters are being created while the original is still around and popular. All this does is lead to fractured fanbases and makes no one happy.

I just want all the original A-list characters written well at the same time -- something that really has never happened at DC.

Also, I think a better way to create minority characters that fans can care about is to create NEW minority characters rather than giving a minority a hand-me-down name of an existing popular character. To me, it's actually a slap in the face to minorities because it suggests that the only way a minority character can take off is if he has a white character's name. That's why I loved the Milestone line. It was all new characters written and drawn in a new way. I have a complete collection of 1990s Milestone, and I appreciated how much thought and care went into creating the Dakota Universe.

Finally, while we're on the subject of representation, I would like to see a greater diversity in the representation of white characters. All we see are generic WASPy-white characters. Where are the white ethnics? Where are the Italians, Irish, Polish, Russian, Eastern Europeans, etc. The comics industry was created by Jewish writers and artists, but I don't think a single comic in the entire comics industry currently stars a Jewish character. Again, the answer wouldn't be a Jewish or Italian Green Arrow; I'd like to see a brand new character created with more thought and care given to his or her ancestral background -- even for white characters.

The comics industry and Hollywood are making a lot of noise right now in regard to representation, but really all I see is a lot of lazy box checking.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Mr. Thorne, I see that you are writing Future State: Green Lantern. I wish you luck with your project.

However, it's not only what's being reported on the comics sites that makes me pessimistic about Future State, it's the fact that it seems to be a scaled down and truncated version of a Dan DiDio initiative, and the DiDio name is box office poison for a lot of fans due to his repeatedly dropping the ball during his tenure at DC.

I would agree that there should be more representation in comics of all groups, but, for me, I've never really been very fond of the legacy thing -- especially when it leads to so many simultaneous versions of the same character running around all at once. We don't need 14 Robins or Green Lanterns from Earth at the same time. We just don't. When Barry came along, Jay hadn't had his own comic in years. Now, new legacy characters are being created while the original is still around and popular. All this does is lead to fractured fanbases and makes no one happy.

I just want all the original A-list characters written well at the same time -- something that really has never happened at DC.

Also, I think a better way to create minority characters that fans can care about is to create NEW minority characters rather than giving a minority a hand-me-down name of an existing popular character. To me, it's actually a slap in the face to minorities because it suggests that the only way a minority character can take off is if he has a white character's name. That's why I loved the Milestone line. It was all new characters written and drawn in a new way. I have a complete collection of 1990s Milestone, and I appreciated how much thought and care went into creating the Dakota Universe.

Finally, while we're on the subject of representation, I would like to see a greater diversity in the representation of white characters. All we see are generic WASPy-white characters. Where are the white ethnics? Where are the Italians, Irish, Polish, Russian, Eastern Europeans, etc. The comics industry was created by Jewish writers and artists, but I don't think a single comic in the entire comics industry currently stars a Jewish character. Again, the answer wouldn't be a Jewish or Italian Green Arrow; I'd like to see a brand new character created with more thought and care given to his or her ancestral background -- even for white characters.

The comics industry and Hollywood are making a lot of noise right now in regard to representation, but really all I see is a lot of lazy box checking.
    But that's the point. You literally have zero idea what FUTURE STATE is. Everything you just said is based on fan speculation, podcast rumors and skimpy press releases.

My hands are currently tied by contract but, once they're not, I'll be happy to provide anyone who asks me the proper timeline and germination of my own project at least. One thing I can say for sure, I hadn't written any scripts and no artist had been attached when Mr. Didio made his exit. So the notion that this was something sold and executed months back and was just "sitting around to be repackaged" is entirely gas. Entirely.

Can't speak for the other folks on that score (or for Hollywood as a whole). Also, I've never been anybody's quota hire (I've literally turned down jobs where that was to be the case. i find them to be insulting.) and I don't write to check off boxes. I'm here for the stories.

Just keep an open mind. Tom and I may surprise you. In fact, we aim to do just that.
    Last edited by Redjack; 10-25-2020 at 07:56 PM.

Astonishing Member

Underwhelmed.

Unless I missed something im sad Wallace and Duke isn't getting any shine.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8