Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Unless I missed something im sad Wallace and Duke isn't getting any shine.
    Well there is an Outsiders story and it's led by Katana so, given the recent run, if Duke is gonna be anywhere it's gonna be there.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    That would be a great way to set up his arc going forward once they return to contemporary times in March. I actually think it would be more that way and seeing him become a Titans student and grow into Red X, than for Damian to just be assuming the identity to replace his Robinhood now that he was forced out by editorial. Although, I want Damian to have something, so iunno if it's an equal trade off either way if Damian gets send to limbo without because he doesn't have a new role.
    I think Damian may be one of those characters who is strong enough - and has a strong enough personality - that he doesn't necessarily need a code-name. Kind of like Naomi. As Robin, it worked because he was only called that sparingly. Him just being Damian could work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Mr. Thorne, I see that you are writing Future State: Green Lantern. I wish you luck with your project.

Also, I think a better way to create minority characters that fans can care about is to create NEW minority characters rather than giving a minority a hand-me-down name of an existing popular character. To me, it's actually a slap in the face to minorities because it suggests that the only way a minority character can take off is if he has a white character's name. That's why I loved the Milestone line. It was all new characters written and drawn in a new way. I have a complete collection of 1990s Milestone, and I appreciated how much thought and care went into creating the Dakota Universe.
    I’m amazed people still say this after the New Age of Heroes. I loved Sideways and Silencer and both were very enjoyable but damn if they didn’t sell. The only series that did sell for a while was the Terrifics, which mainly featured old characters. Hell Redjack himself created a new black hero like you’re saying they should, Mosaic, and he didn’t sell either. The market doesn’t really back up what you’re claiming, there’s very little support for new characters at the Big 2. The true breakout characters have been legacies: Michael Holt Mr. Terrific. Miles Morales Spider-Man. Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel. Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle. Jane sold way more copies as Thor than she is doing as Valkyrie. Doesn’t matter what the race is, new characters just don’t seem to take off like they used to.

I agree with you that we’re approaching the issue of diminishing returns however. There’s far too many Spider-People running around for my taste and the Batfamily could probably use a culling (although Tynion is planning to bring Harper back so that’s not happening).

^^ Vordan pretty much said what I was going to. DC has tried creating new characters of color, so you can't fault them for that. Plenty of white legacy characters have been created as well, but people don't seem to get up in arms about it when that happens.

Extraordinary Member

Finally, while we're on the subject of representation, I would like to see a greater diversity in the representation of white characters. All we see are generic WASPy-white characters. Where are the white ethnics? Where are the Italians, Irish, Polish, Russian, Eastern Europeans, etc. The comics industry was created by Jewish writers and artists, but I don't think a single comic in the entire comics industry currently stars a Jewish character.
    This is incorrect.

There are some for at dc and marvel.

Here are some examples.

Jewish comic book characters
    DC
    Atom Smasher
    Batwoman
    Doctor Manhattan
    Firestorm
    Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
    Harley Quinn
    Zatanna (in DC Bombshells continuity)

Marvel Comics
    Gertrude Yorkes
    Doc Samson
    Magneto
    Quicksilver
    Scarlet Witch
    Wiccan
    Polaris
    The Thing
    Iceman
    Legion
    Italian and Italian-American superheroes and villains
    The Punisher or Francis "Frank" Castiglione (later shortened to Castle), Marvel
    Scorpion (Carmilla Black), Marvel
    Strong Guy or Guido Carosella
    Zatanna, aka Zantana Zatara, daughter of Giovanni Zatara, DC
    WitchBlade (Sara Pezzini)
    Rockslide AKA Santo Vaccarro, an Italian American (Marvel)
    Monica Rappaccini, Marvel
    Count Nefaria or Count Luchino Nefaria, Marvel
    Madame Masque, Marvel
    Eastern european
    Black widow etc...

Here something about history and origin of comics to as well.
    Although comics has some origins in 18th century Japan, comic books were first popularized[disputed – discuss] in the United States and the United Kingdom during the 1930s.
    History of comics
    The history of comics has followed different paths in different parts of the world. It can be traced back to early precursors such as Trajan's Column, in Rome, Egyptian hieroglyphs and the Bayeux Tapestry.
    and

Legendary Human Margaret Atwood Traces History Of Comics To Ancient Egypt In New Comics-Centric Interview
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/lege...ric-interview/
    Last edited by mace11; 10-26-2020 at 09:27 AM.

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I think Damian may be one of those characters who is strong enough - and has a strong enough personality - that he doesn't necessarily need a code-name. Kind of like Naomi. As Robin, it worked because he was only called that sparingly. Him just being Damian could work for me.
    Considering that first trailer of Teen Titans rebirth named "Damian Knows Best" and second trailer of Teen Titans literally depicted him as Damian when on the same page Wallace was described as Kid Flash and Emiko was described as Red Arrow, as much as I hate his current direction, I think Damian is indeed moved past needing a Robin name (or any legacy codename).

Ultimate Member

Also, I think a better way to create minority characters that fans can care about is to create NEW minority characters rather than giving a minority a hand-me-down name of an existing popular character.
    They have. Guess who takes issues with it? Better yet look at who leads the GATORS, folks who only look at WHO is on the cover, store owners and gatekeepers.

Duke Thomas was in We Are Robin but Damian was still ROBIN. The hate for him was so strong here folks were willing to DEFACE any book he was in that they PAID for.
    Red Hood had a new black woman on the cover-I saw complaints about her. Same with the 3 black kids on Catwoman's book.

Mosaic got grief from a certain fandom and even store owners who took ISSUE with the Barnes and Nobles promotion done with Mosaic.

Same folks took ISSUE with Black Panther WOW & Crew-not for the story content but how DARE Marvel try to expand his franchise. In fact they threw fits about the attempts done with GOTG, Dr Strange and even DEADPOOL. DEADPOOL's mercs all got solo books. Some store REFUSE to stock them including Redjack's Solo book.

Marvel among all the trashing of POC lead books got gripes for giving books to Starlord, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Starbrand, America, Red Wolf, Mockingbird and others who HAPPENED to be in Marvel movies. With the complaint of they don't bring in new readers despite movies with VENOM aimed at Black Panther and ESPECIALLY Carol Danvers. A store said he HATES seeing her with a book.

Yet over at DC Deathstroke gets a book thanks to ARROW's appearance. Mera gets a mini as Aquaman movie was popping up. Same complainers PRAISED Dc for doing it.

Yet these are books that become trades that LOL outsell Batman.

Wonder why Milestone is doing more digital than physical copies? For all the cries of we want Static-HOW many are going to actually going to buy it. Let alone STOCK it since POC with hit shows or movies are not accepted by some folks.

I'm cool with Duke still just being The Signal ten years later.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    This is incorrect.

There are some for at dc and marvel.

Here are some examples.

Jewish comic book characters

Italian and Italian-American superheroes and villains

Eastern european

Here something about history and origin of comics to as well.

and

Legendary Human Margaret Atwood Traces History Of Comics To Ancient Egypt In New Comics-Centric Interview
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/lege...ric-interview/

The slim pickings of your list proves my point for me. Also, most of those characters don't actually have a comic series currently on the stands.

Has DC ever actually said that Hal Jordan and Harley Quinn were Jewish? I've never seen this in a story.

Also, when I said the comics industry was created by Jewish writers and artists, of course I meant the American comics industry, not 18th century Japan or cave paintings from 10,000 BC.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm cool with Duke still just being The Signal ten years later.
    I would hope he's still Signal, if they've only just settled into the identity 2 years ago; they better commit. I don't want no "oh he's Nightwing now" nonsense. Unless he's Batman, he should just be a more developed Signal 10 years from now.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-26-2020 at 09:29 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    They have. Guess who takes issues with it? Better yet look at who leads the GATORS, folks who only look at WHO is on the cover, store owners and gatekeepers.

Duke Thomas was in We Are Robin but Damian was still ROBIN. The hate for him was so strong here folks were willing to DEFACE any book he was in that they PAID for.
    Red Hood had a new black woman on the cover-I saw complaints about her. Same with the 3 black kids on Catwoman's book.

Mosaic got grief from a certain fandom and even store owners who took ISSUE with the Barnes and Nobles promotion done with Mosaic.

Same folks took ISSUE with Black Panther WOW & Crew-not for the story content but how DARE Marvel try to expand his franchise. In fact they threw fits about the attempts done with GOTG, Dr Strange and even DEADPOOL. DEADPOOL's mercs all got solo books. Some store REFUSE to stock them including Redjack's Solo book.

Marvel among all the trashing of POC lead books got gripes for giving books to Starlord, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Starbrand, America, Red Wolf, Mockingbird and others who HAPPENED to be in Marvel movies. With the complaint of they don't bring in new readers despite movies with VENOM aimed at Black Panther and ESPECIALLY Carol Danvers. A store said he HATES seeing her with a book.

Yet over at DC Deathstroke gets a book thanks to ARROW's appearance. Mera gets a mini as Aquaman movie was popping up. Same complainers PRAISED Dc for doing it.

Yet these are books that become trades that LOL outsell Batman.

Wonder why Milestone is doing more digital than physical copies? For all the cries of we want Static-HOW many are going to actually going to buy it. Let alone STOCK it since POC with hit shows or movies are not accepted by some folks.
    I'm still sad about Mosaic he had to deal with the anti-diversity and the anti-inhuman crowd. That character had way too much betting against him on top of the struggles of being a new character.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I would hope he's still Signal, if they've only just settled into the identity 2 years ago; they better commit. I don't want no "oh he's Nightwing now" nonsense. Unless he's Batman, he should just be a more developed Signal 10 years from now.
    Yeah The Signal should be a role all on his own, no "graduating" nonsense unless it's into a better costume.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Yeah The Signal should be a role all on his own, no "graduating" nonsense unless it's into a better costume.
    I hope if Brandon Thomas (or anyone) does indeed write Duke Thomas in Future State they give him an upgraded suited that's less...bat-y; and I hope if they do they roll it into main continuity afterward. I just refuse to ever pretend that bat on his face is anything but garbage designing bro. I love Hamner, he does his thing, but the bat-motif was not it. I get he's batfamily but let that man have his own visual identity.

currently following:

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

Has DC ever actually said that Hal Jordan and Harley Quinn were Jewish? I've never seen this in a story.
    If I'm remembering right, Tom King made it canon that Hal was Jewish in his Green Lantern Darkseid War one-shot.

Comic Fans: New comic characters don't sell, Lets just give up after one try quick try.

Also Comic Fans: "Hey they canceled Green Arrow, Hawkman, Aquaman, Supergirl, Young Justice, Teen Titans again, I can't wait for them to start another book again (for them to be canceled again because of sales)

Anyways I am looking forward to Future state a little shake up is always a good thing my book. I see couple things that might stick around in some form in reverse like

-Brazilian Wonder Woman Yara Flor
    -Red X
    - Jackson Hyde Aquaman

So those are kinda the highlights for me and what I am keeping my eye on.I can't speak for anyone else this stuff looks interesting but what stand out to me even more is the new blood in creative teams which hopefully means new fresh ideas from DC and this is probably were the future stars creatively will pop up from. Even more important to me personally I see Brandon Thomas, Geoffrey Thorne, Vita Ayala, John Ridley, L.L. McKinney,etc and in the words of Issa rae well i don't have say it you know who I am rooting for beside the titles themselves.