Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I have zero interest in Future State and have no plans to buy any of the books. We've already had how many "events" that show the future and this one doesn't feel worthy of halting your regular publication schedule for two months. I continue to think of this as what would happen if "Future's End" and "Convergence" had a baby.
    Visit The Blog of Oa for Green Lantern News, Reviews, Podcasts and more

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The Outlaws are no more, and Jason returns to Gotham in Red Hood #51.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    At least based on the solicitations they are all in Gotham and are not leading any teams. Ok Jason is working for the Magistrate, but Dick and Tim are still working as Nightwing and Robin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Light of Justice View Post
    Tim has no team, and he gets called Robin Eternal. Which sounds like mockery every time I hear it.
    I don't get it, I mean Batwing is fine name, why did he has to be Batman when Tim stays as Robin?
    No I meant if they wanna pick Luke as Batman, those are the excuses they can use to get the rest not be Batman. Including Damian if he stays at Teen Titans or follow Jon to the League. They don't even need to make Jason a Magistrate goon or a spy for the Magistrate if he stays with the Outlaws.

Yes they're in Gotham in the solicit but for how long? Can they get access to the Bat cache if Nightwing has to make base in Arkham? Is there even a Bat gear since Batman is bankrupt now? Also even if he gets there first, why would Nightwing have to dress up as Batman who strikes fear in the hearts of criminal if he's not facing criminals? They're facing the government. Dressing up as Batman isn't gonna do anything.

It's because DC wants Black Batman money. That can make headlines once it's revealed, heck it made fan talked when it first leaked/teased. Nobody outside comics care about Batwing.

Aahz is wrong about the not leading teams thing - Nightwing is in FS Teen Titans.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

I loved Flashpoint, Convergence, Futures End, Worlds End, and how the New 52 tried to broaden the DC canvas to I am hyped for this.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

It's a gimmicky cash grab but it's the type of gimmicky cash grab I'd normally be down for.

The Superverse stories sound especially interesting but I'm going to save my money and sit this one out. Not okay with destroying minority characters or replacing them with other newer minorities.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Yes they're in Gotham in the solicit but for how long? Can they get access to the Bat cache if Nightwing has to make base in Arkham? Is there even a Bat gear since Batman is bankrupt now? Also even if he gets there first, why would Nightwing have to dress up as Batman who strikes fear in the hearts of criminal if he's not facing criminals? They're facing the government. Dressing up as Batman isn't gonna do anything.
    If Luke has access he could give it to tham, and they still seem to have their own gear, so they should be able make a Batsuit on their own.

But the main thing I actually wanted to point out, is that the claim that Damian was taken out of the picture so that Luke can be batman doesn't make much sense if the other three Robins are still active in Gotham. And opposed to the main continuity the Future State Version of Tim should actually be old enough to take on the mantle.

I'm not against it, but there are only 1-2 books that really interest me. Once the other ones come out, if the reviews of them are good, I'll give them a chance.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

There's Superman vs Imperius Lex which is for sure ending up in my reading list, though that's a consequence of the creative team (I seldom miss a book when Mark Russell is on writing duties). Aside from that, I see so little creativity in this Frankenstein monster created from the rotten remains of the aborted 5G that I'm perfectly fine with a one-title pull list.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The idea that there's an Amazon tribe in Amazon rainforest is brilliant
    So brilliant Frank Miller had it after decades spent devastating his own brain with alcohol and God knows how many other substances. Sometimes I genuinely wonder if words aren't losing their meaning...

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Another huge pass for me

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    So brilliant Frank Miller had it after decades spent devastating his own brain with alcohol and God knows how many other substances. Sometimes I genuinely wonder if words aren't losing their meaning...
    Stan Lee did also an South American Wonder Woman and a black Batman in his alternate version of the DC Universe.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The Superman stuff sounds imaginative, something Superman isn't allowed to be very often, and I'm there for that. Best case it's a fun story, and worst case it's a minor interlude before a relaunch. Each book seems hella strong though. Pulp action John Carter Superman, Lexor, Lois Lane as PotP, Jon as a more proactive Superman Jr, and Kara looking aesthetic and running a moon colony. All of that sounds terrific on paper.

Let's see- I seldom miss a Joelle Jones book and she's doing the Yara WW book (and Yara's whole design is rad) so that's a must. Becky Cloonan's WW too. Dan Watters is on Superman/WW so that'll be worth it.

I think this will be cool as a 2 month break while DC gears up the relaunch.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-22-2020 at 11:47 AM.

If Luke has access he could give it to tham, and they still seem to have their own gear, so they should be able make a Batsuit on their own.

But the main thing I actually wanted to point out, is that the claim that Damian was taken out of the picture so that Luke can be batman doesn't make much sense if the other three Robins are still active in Gotham. And opposed to the main continuity the Future State Version of Tim should actually be old enough to take on the mantle.
    I don't know if Damian was taken for Luke. Adam Glass was instructed to push Damian into losing the Robin mantle leading to him dedicating an entire run to ruining the character.

Whatever the reason. DC purposefully destroyed a minority character while reinenforcing the negative stereotype that Arabian's are suicide bombers. They clearly don't give a crap about representration or they are only cool with positively representing some groups.

I don't know and I don't care all I know is that DC seems to be adhering to a quota. Why can't we have Luke, Duke and Damian?

Why is it that of the Future state JL only the legacy characters of colour from that gen seem to be missing while those who look white are present?

I'm not saying that Damian was sacrificed for Luke but I am saying where's Damian, Duke, Wallace and Emi. I am saying where are the existing diverse characters that I've followed up till now. The ones I've invested in. It's cool to see Jackson but I see that he isn't on the JL having been replaced by Andy. I don't know or care about these new characters and I'm not motivated to even check em out because DC has killed what goodwill I might have had for the event by taking the character I do care about off the board.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    Another huge pass for me
    But Tim is Robin in this. You've wanted that for a while now.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Well then nothing make sense and it's because DC just wants Black Batman money. I don't care. Yeah I do want it to make sense, but it's also only two months so I don't wanna spend time thinking about alternate scenarios too much beyond the immediate things I noticed. "Oh Luke's Batman. Makes sense, because Dick has this, Jason has this, Damian has this, Tim has this" done and I stop bothering.

Damian's taken out probably for that 5G plot in Doomsday Clock, something about Batman's daughter, or whatever version that becomes in Future State. The important point is that they ruin his character, where if he's available, he will be old enough to be Batman too, and I think of that because Jon is in the League. So it's Damian that I think about, not Tim.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-22-2020 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Light of Justice View Post
    Tim has no team, and he gets called Robin Eternal. Which sounds like mockery every time I hear it.
    I don't get it, I mean Batwing is fine name, why did he has to be Batman when Tim stays as Robin?
    It's probably because of the peter pan situation DC has force Tim to be in; he can't pull it off convincingly as he is. He's perpetually drawn to be small and more slender because his fans and DC have this need to perpetuate his image as a juvenile/adalecent character (Robin or Robin-adjacent). so he doesn't aesthetically fit that imposing hypermasculine ideal that you would need Batman to be. Unless it's a future or alternate version (which have been done), Tim Drake's brand doesn't really allow him to be very high on the list of Batman applicant. despite his long tenure, there is a reason we often see Tim fighting for screentime in the Damian or Duke end of the bracket and not in the realm of a Red Hood or a Nightwing. Not saying it's necessarily fair to the character mind you, but realisically I would say the process of elimination for new Batman probably goes Dick (done it and has his own thing going) > ((completely new character or time-travel)) > Luke Fox > Jason (done it and has his own thing going) > Tim Drake > Azrael (done it and character doesn't make sense for it anymore).
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-22-2020 at 12:21 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."