Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Kevin Feige is soft-spoken, humble, generally happy looking in public. Those Sony hacks confirmed that many of the stuff which Marvel fans wanted and complained about, he wanted and complained about too, so he became confirmed as "their guy". Feige also rebelled against Isaac Perlmutter, a type-A old-school Alpha who dominates every conversation, and he won. So there's a vicarious connect there with fans. Feige gets to be "the man" but not "the Man" you know. At the same time it's natural for fans to personify their liking for a franchise in a single person and creator. They like to imagine one guy behind the things they like, so for the MCU it's Feige, in the same way that in the comics it used to be Stan Lee...and say what you want, Feige hasn't used some fancy Marvel Method chicanery to claim that he directed the movies without actually doing the work real directors do.

I personally do think Feige-worship is silly and a little ignorant in some cases (like with the Sony Spider-Man films where people assume that Feige was behind everything good and Sony was behind everything bad). More harmful is the fact that, I think Kevin Feige's fame and hagiography has distorted a lot of people's idea of being a good movie producer actually is becasue I don't know if it can be said that Feige really is a great movie producer.

In his career, he's never really produced real non-IP films. He's never done what real producers had to do (like Amy Pascal, or even Tom Rothman at Sony) that is pick an unknown project and little known director, shepherd it with funding from obscure places and then get it made and distributed well. That's what actually great movie producers -- whether it's Robert Evans, Roger Corman had to do. Jason Blum, of Blumhouse Productions...that guy is a real movie producer. He's made horror as a viable profitable genre, launched the careers of excellent film-makers, and produced films like Jordan Peele's Us which is way better than any Marvel movie. A lot of people dislike Tom Rothman but Tom Rothman early in his career funded independents like Jim Jarmusch and others. He's done time in the trenches so to speak.

Feige has been a company man at Marvel's studio productions. He worked as an intern for Lauren Schuler Donner, who produced the Fox X-Men movies, then got promoted to work in various roles on Marvel productions until getting a senior role steadily after that. I think his career is more about dedication, loyalty, and committment rather than real innovation. The decision to create the Marvel Cinematic Universe wasn't taken by him or made by him, and it wasn't his call. That was David Maisel who did that, he was the one who came up with the idea and pitched it to Isaac Perlmutter who agreed on it. So with Feige, there's capacity, there's competence, but there's also a lot of being in the right place at the right time.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 10-22-2020 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I think it's simple, he is good at his job.
    I mean, to juggle round a franchise as big as the MCU (even if I don't care for most of it) and keep it consistent is somewhat of an achievement, especially seeing how ten years ago an Avengers movie would have been seen as a near impossible feat. Now it's just kind of par for the course.
    Obviously, there are many issues with him, but I feel for what he was able to do with the tools he was given, I'd say he has done a decent job.
    Especially when you see how other Companies have tried to follow the same model. Fiege has a clear vision and direction for the MCU.
    Saying he has done a decent job is an understatement. The closest thing to a solid stretch of 3 superheroes movies other than MCU is the Nolan Batman series. The MCU has a stretch of 15 or solid to good movies that do nothing to hurt the franchise while everyone else has struggled to together a streak of mere 3 movies that don't crap the bed and cause you to have to start over years later. Starting from after Thor Dark world to Spiderman Far from Home, Marvel has put a stretch of movies that are financially successful, always making a profit, and never upset the audience to where they will never come and see your movies again. It doesn't seem impressive until you watch Spiderman 3 from Sony, X-men Last Stand, X-men Dark Phoenix, etc, and realize that Justice League was supposed to start a franchise, Amazing Spiderman supposed to start a franchise, Birds of Prey was supposed to start a franchise.

Again it is fair to say Fegie gets too much credit and people should give the Russos and other directors for example a lot more credit for the success of the MCU. But marvel is in the position to stick the landing with GotG 3, Antman 3, Spiderman 3, and successful setting up other franchises. You just have to look around the movie industry and the comic book movie industry and see people missing on movies they have to get right. People underestimate the difficulty level of what Feige does imo but we have seen several YA franchises and comic book franchise fail to get off the ground, We have seen stuff like Universal monster universe flop, We have seen stuff that is equivalent to Marvel in DCEU and Star Wars miss badly. We want say this stuff is easy but Terminator, Godzilla, Predator, Warcraft, John Carter, Power Rangers, Green Lantern, Eragon, Mortal engines, Golden Compass, etc. Just making one successful movie to keep a franchise going is hard. Making a successful trilogy is even harder. What the MCU is doing is freakish.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-22-2020 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    this times a million.

if you bet me all the money in the world that I would see friggin Thanos on the big screen I would be 10 feet under in debt.
    Not just Thanos, the Celestials, Ego the Living Planet, Rocket Racoon, Batroc Ze Leaper, the list goes on and on. Nobody expected to ever see ANY of these guys and he went and turned Groot and Rocket into characters that your average person outside of comics knows and loves.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    These threads are always in bad faith.

Look, there's a fanboy for everything on the internet. Feige is not a special case. If you don't like him as much as others, that's not a big deal either. There are lots of people that don't. It doesn't make you special and you don't need to act like it's you against the world. Just express your opinion respectfully and move on.

Feige is a very successful producer. He seems a little bit more gifted and more in tune with what the average fan wants compared to some other producers. And for the most part he's given many fans what they wanted out of Marvel movies, and he's done that while making the MCU a pop culture milestone for the entire world. That is enough to understand why he is loved by many.

P.S hiring a white guy is not the same thing as hiring a black guy, black woman, Asian woman, woman etc. It will never be a big deal because the majority of comic book movie directors are white men. That's why it's a big deal when someone other than that gets picked. This is like saying Obama becoming the first black US president wasn't a big deal regardless of whether you like him or not. It's 2020 and people still don't understand what representation actually means.
    And that is one thing. Im not here to argue the quality of the MCU but I don't get how that alleviates any other mistakes he made or that he is genuine about diversity

There have been plenty of minority filmmakers before the MCU. Feige didn't push it. He just chose only now to focus on it. And yeah a white person being hired is different which is why I think it is silly when they make a big deal about a person of color being hired. I didn't know who the director of Spider-Man Homecoming was and he could've been whatever color but I guess if he was black they'd make a big deal about him

And again Feige was complacent for 7 years to the lack of diversity only know when it is politically and socially relevant

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Not just Thanos, the Celestials, Ego the Living Planet, Rocket Racoon, Batroc Ze Leaper, the list goes on and on. Nobody expected to ever see ANY of these guys and he went and turned Groot and Rocket into characters that your average person outside of comics knows and loves.
    People don't love Rocket and Groot all Gunn did was make them a holes

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Saying he has done a decent job is an understatement. The closest thing to a solid stretch of 3 superheroes movies other than MCU is the Nolan Batman series. The MCU has a stretch of 15 or solid to good movies that do nothing to hurt the franchise while everyone else has struggled to together a streak of mere 3 movies that don't crap the bed and cause you to have to start over years later. Starting from after Thor Dark world to Spiderman Far from Home, Marvel has put a stretch of movies that are financially successful, always making a profit, and never upset the audience to where they will never come and see your movies again. It doesn't seem impressive until you watch Spiderman 3 from Sony, X-men Last Stand, X-men Dark Phoenix, etc, and realize that Justice League was supposed to start a franchise, Amazing Spiderman supposed to start a franchise, Birds of Prey was supposed to start a franchise.

Again it is fair to say Fegie gets too much credit and people should give the Russos and other directors for example a lot more credit for the success of the MCU. But marvel is in the position to stick the landing with GotG 3, Antman 3, Spiderman 3, and successful setting up other franchises. You just have to look around the movie industry and the comic book movie industry and see people missing on movies they have to get right. People underestimate the difficulty level of what Feige does imo but we have seen several YA franchises and comic book franchise fail to get off the ground, We have seen stuff like Universal monster universe flop, We have seen stuff that is equivalent to Marvel in DCEU and Star Wars miss badly. We want say this stuff is easy but Terminator, Godzilla, Predator, Warcraft, John Carter, Power Rangers, Green Lantern, Eragon, Mortal engines, Golden Compass, etc. Just making one successful movie to keep a franchise going is hard. Making a successful trilogy is even harder. What the MCU is doing is freakish.
    It isn't impressive when all the movies feel the same and are constantly overrated. Also if the Snyder Cut is successful it will start a franchise

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    Quite a lot of people actually do love Groot and Rocket. Just look at all the Groot inspired art, and I don't just mean drawings of the character. People have made impressive sculptures out of wood to resemble the character.

What Gunn (along with the actors, screen writers and special effects team required to bring the two of them to life) did was to make these weird off beat characters feel relateable to a large audience that had never heard of them before.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    You created a thread so people can flame you about Kevin Feige? Okay I guess. The man track record speaks for itself. There is no reason for me to go in depth on all your points because honestly a big part why this is a issue is you and not the facts. Does Feige get too much credit? Sure. But not understanding that his boss(Perlmutter) had a clear philosophy on things that stop things from happening is factual. People probably told you were wrong in that thread and people are going to tell that you are wrong in this thread. Your criticism isn't being being deflected because "Feige never does anything wrong" it because your opinion is a bad one.

I am not going to back forth I am going just going to show the slate of stuff now that Feige is firmly in control

Blade
    Falcon and Winter Solider
    Shang Chi
    Ms Marvel
    She Hulk
    WandaVision
    Eternals-With a diverse cast
    Thor- with Jane taking a central role

The slate of stuff before had 20 plus movies had 1 black lead, 1 had female lead. The quote "Ike doesn't discriminate or care about diversity he focuses on money." when you have the thinking that movies with minorities or women leads don't sell what do you think happens?
    Name me one good female superhero movie. You are also ignoring that marvel at that point was focusing on the classic avengers. We didn't have characters like Kamala Khan or Miles Morales back in 2008. And Perlmutter was outed in 2015 meaning everything after that was all Feige. Do you honestly think he isn't doing this for money?

Lastly Zach Synder does not get any slack because he has had major creative failures. Feigie has overseen maybe the best stretch in terms of success for a movies ever. Plus Feige and company did what Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Sopranos, Lost, How I meet your mother and host of other things failed to do. Which is to close off a pop culture phenom with a satisfying ending. Everytime I see people try to be critical of Endgame now people don't seem understand how big of deal it was to create a movie that satisfyingly wrap up peoples years of investment in franchise ,satisfyingly closed movie arc AND make sure the movie felt epic and big. I just have to point across over to other side at Disney and Star Wars show what a big deal sticking the landing was for MCU. Synder/Whedon failed to make a profit for a movie with Superman,Batman,Wonder Woman,the Justice League and that every comic book nerd was waiting for to happen. If years ago before they were made someone told you that Aquaman would make a billion and Justice League movie would leave WB/DC in a hole financially you would have been laughed out of the room. Something like this is the most amazing thing

Cap 1
    Budget $140–216.7 million
    Box office $370.6 million
    Cap 2
    Budget $170–177 million
    Box office $714.4 million
    Cap 3
    Budget $250 million
    Box office $1.153 billion

Man of Steel
    Budget $225–258 million
    Box office $668 million

BatmanVSuperman
    Budget $250–300 million
    Box office $873.6 million

Justice League
    Budget $300 million
    Box office $657.9 million

So there that is a visual representation of why Zach Synder gets no slack. It is mind blowning with those characters how much they whiffed. And to further bring it home this what people did other DC characters who aren't the big names
    JL was ruined by studio interference. And why do people assume that just because a movie has superman and batman it means it will be successful? Batman and Robin bombed, Superman 4 bombed and Superman Returned bombed. And money doesn't mean quality. BvS and MoS are better and more thought provoking than any MCU movie. Feige has a formula that manufactures billion dollar movies and sticks with it. All these diverse movies will be ironically only different on the surface. They will still be exactly the same as other movies. Zack Snyder does something different instead of making just another superhero movie but you criticism him for it

My issue however is framing feige like a white knight. Did people praise Snyder for making the Justice League diverse? If JL had Feige's name on it people would praise it for that and get a 100 percent on rotten tomatoes

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Why do you think you get decide WHO qualifies as "people"?

I'm a person. I love the MCU Rocket Raccoon and Groot.

And that is one thing. Im not here to argue the quality of the MCU but I don't get how that alleviates any other mistakes he made or that he is genuine about diversity

There have been plenty of minority filmmakers before the MCU. Feige didn't push it. He just chose only now to focus on it. And yeah a white person being hired is different which is why I think it is silly when they make a big deal about a person of color being hired. I didn't know who the director of Spider-Man Homecoming was and he could've been whatever color but I guess if he was black they'd make a big deal about him

And again Feige was complacent for 7 years to the lack of diversity only know when it is politically and socially relevant
    As has been pointed out a few times here, but you appear to be ignoring, Feige didn't have the clout to threaten Disney with any kind of demands 7 years ago. Following your logic, Feige has been "complacent" for 47 years because he didn't immediately cry out Black Lives Matter when he was born 47 years ago.

And your math is completely off. Black Panther AND Captain Marvel were announced back in 2014. So how has Feige been complacent for 7 years, when he clearly was working on getting Black Panther and Captain Marvel on the screen 7 years ago?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Yes they do.

Don't confuse your personal opinions with the opinions of everyone else in the world.

It isn't impressive when all the movies feel the same and are constantly overrated.
    Again, overrated is your opinion. The fact that they all feel the same is just you lying. Try watching Thor Ragnarok and Black Panther back to back and tell me they feel the same with a straight face.

AND even if they did all feel the same and were all overrated, that's STILL impressive. How many movie series do you know that are that long without a noticeable dip in style or quality.

That's not something James Bond, Godzilla, Star Wars, or any other line has been able to pull off.

Also if the Snyder Cut is successful it will start a franchise
    It's funny that you believe that.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Quite a lot of people actually do love Groot and Rocket. Just look at all the Groot inspired art, and I don't just mean drawings of the character. People have made impressive sculptures out of wood to resemble the character.

What Gunn (along with the actors, screen writers and special effects team required to bring the two of them to life) did was to make these weird off beat characters feel relateable to a large audience that had never heard of them before.
    No Gunn made them selfish assholes. And I don't get why people think GotG was too weird for movie. Last time I checked space BigFoot is one of the most iconic movie characters. Like please explain why star wars takes itself pretty seriously and people love it but the GotG are too weird? All that shows is Feige doesn't take these characters seriously nor does he care about them. The very fact Feige hired Gunn to make these movies when it is obvious he seemingly hates comic books shows Feige doesn't care about these characters. All of this is fine since his job is to make money but I don't get why people insist Feige is just a comic book guy like you and me

Name me one good female superhero movie. You are also ignoring that marvel at that point was focusing on the classic avengers. We didn't have characters like Kamala Khan or Miles Morales back in 2008. And Perlmutter was outed in 2015 meaning everything after that was all Feige. Do you honestly think he isn't doing this for money?
    Seriously dude. You think these movies are made out of social altruism? EVERY single movie made is made to make money. Of course MCU was focused on classic, proven money makers. They were building a future movie universe. You start out with the first string. And Kamala Khan wasn't created until 2013 and Morales in 2011, so it's a bit hard to put either in a movie in 2008.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

All that shows is Feige doesn't take these characters seriously nor does he care about them. The very fact Feige hired Gunn to make these movies when it is obvious he seemingly hates comic books shows Feige doesn't care about these characters.
    This conversation would be going a lot better if you stopped making things up.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Why do you think you get decide WHO qualifies as "people"?

I'm a person. I love the MCU Rocket Raccoon and Groot.
    Good for you but find me a poll where Rocket and Groot ranks in the top 30 for favorite movie characters or even favorite movie heroes

As has been pointed out a few times here, but you appear to be ignoring, Feige didn't have the clout to threaten Disney with any kind of demands 7 years ago. Following your logic, Feige has been "complacent" for 47 years because he didn't immediately cry out Black Lives Matter when he was born 47 years ago.

And your math is completely off. Black Panther AND Captain Marvel were announced back in 2014. So how has Feige been complacent for 7 years, when he clearly was working on getting Black Panther and Captain Marvel on the screen 7 years ago?
    Why would Disney care about hiring minority actors and filmmakers? You act like Feige is the only person ever to so this. The MCU started in 2008. If he did announce (meaning they could also be cancelled) in 2014 then congrats he was complacent for 6 years. He said he risked his career for this and yet he kept getting his 6 figure paycheck for these un-diverse movies. Why didn't he leave marvel and disney for Fox or Sony or even WB if he wanted to make diverse movies so bad? He didn't have to wait until now to make the Avengers diverse. He could've based Iron Man off 1610 Tony who was latino but didn't. He could've had Wasp who is not only another woman hero but in 1610 is asian but didn't and when they did introduce her she was white. He didn't even have to hire white directors. You think a person would look at the director of Captain America and go "Oh he is black so I don't want to watch this"? And you can keep saying Perlmutter this or whatever but my point is Feige cowtowed to Perlmutter and Disney instead of leaving while getting paid millions for this. TBH I don't think he even though about race or female centric movies outside of a board room pitch meeting. I could be wrong wrong though but that is just my opinion

No Gunn made them selfish assholes. And I don't get why people think GotG was too weird for movie. Last time I checked space BigFoot is one of the most iconic movie characters. Like please explain why star wars takes itself pretty seriously and people love it but the GotG are too weird? All that shows is Feige doesn't take these characters seriously nor does he care about them. The very fact Feige hired Gunn to make these movies when it is obvious he seemingly hates comic books shows Feige doesn't care about these characters. All of this is fine since his job is to make money but I don't get why people insist Feige is just a comic book guy like you and me
    ??? Bigfoot? What are these successful money making ICONIC movies that star Bigfoot?

Yes. Feige doesn't care about GotG or comics. That's why he plucked out one of the more obscure comic teams for a movie. One which clearly draws from the DNA GotG run, which you don't appear to have read.