Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    No, I think it's "Zack Snyder is better at everything and that should be acknowledged by everyone, especially if they like even one MCU movie."

Or some variation of that.

Yeah it's basically him being upset that Zach Snyder and his films was treated like a punchline for the past 5 or so years.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Yeah it's basically him being upset that Zach Snyder and his films was treated like a punchline for the past 5 or so years.
    The thing is, there are actually some who do like his movies (I am not one of them, btw). Some were even claiming a completed Snyder cut existed that's just being finished now. He just hates that what he likes isn't more popular.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    Yeah blind praise for Snyder

Of course Black Panther is 90 percent black it is set in central africa hence the complete devoid of diversity in that movie. Like man can you think of any movie set in africa in the last 40 years? I genuinely can't and most of the ones that are are historical dramas. And I guess Blade doesn't exist. And he only made Black Panther after nearly a decade of developing a good brand with the MCU. Like at this point literally anything tied to the MCU will gross a billion dollars
    First of all, you posted the wrong subreddit, but nice try at deflection.

Second of all, what point are you even trying to get at with other movies set in Africa? The most recent examples are Beast of No Nation and Queen of Katwe (clearly you need to watch more movies if you couldn't think of them), and while they have a majority black cast, they weren't directed by black people, did not have a budget of over 100 million and did not gross over 500 million (both films didn't even hit 20 million). Black Panther is an anomaly that Feige produced, whether you like it or not.

Third, you must really think you have some kind of point with Blade. It's hilarious. None of the Blade movies were directed by black people. None of the Blade movies have a majority black cast. The first Blade film came out over 20 years ago and the last one over 15 years ago. None of the Blade movies are even about the black experience. Is your idea of bringing up Blade that black fans should be grateful they get a good superhero movie every 15-20 years? Again, Black Panther is an anomaly that Feige produced, whether you like it or not.

Finally, so what if Black Panther came a decade after the MCU started? Should Feige and Marvel Studios be shamed for having a good record of constant hits for a decade, when almost every other franchise doesn't? WB and FOX has been making movies and superhero movies for much longer than a decade and yet Wonder Woman only came out in 2017 and FOX has absolutely nothing to show for this despite having one of the best IPs to do it with. It only took 10 years after becoming a major producer and CEO of a film studio for Feige to release a superhero movie with a non-white lead and 11 for a non-male lead, and the time is a lot shorter if you consider when both films went into development. No one needs to fellate Feige for pushing for diversity and inclusion but he is doing it. That is commendable, whether you like it or not.

Like the Guardians are literally criminals they aren't superheroes and they do barely anything heroic. They're more like the suicide squad than the gotg. Imagine if he made the Justice League outlaws. Hell the only reason they wanted the power start at the start was for money only later when they realize Ronin is going to destroy Xandar do they get a change which is stupid considering we don't see the guardians show concern for civilians throughout the movie or have a code of avoiding unnecessary deaths
    It's funny that you wanted to compare Groot and Rocket to Chewbacca earlier because your description here is almost exactly Han Solo.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

The thing is, there are actually some who do like his movies (I am not one of them, btw). Some were even claiming a completed Snyder cut existed that's just being finished now. He just hates that what he likes isn't more popular.
    I've been saying for months now that Snyder is a niche filmmaker and his fans just have to accept that. Not everyone is going to like his movies and that's okay.

The problem is I think a lot of them have really tied their ego to how well his films are received because of how they make them feel (i.e., they make them feel smart or mature or something), so they're so hellbent on everyone else loving his movies.

And he only made Black Panther after nearly a decade of developing a good brand with the MCU.
    The DC Cinematic Universe started 7 years ago and they've just now even started the basic process of getting a Static Shock movie into development. Clearly DC is racist.

Like at this point literally anything tied to the MCU will gross a billion dollars
    Guardians 2, Homecoming and Ragnarok all came out the year before Black Panther. Ant Man 2 came out the same year. None of them crossed a billion.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Second of all, what point are you even trying to get at with other movies set in Africa? The most recent examples are Beast of No Nation and Queen of Katwe (clearly you need to watch more movies if you couldn't think of them), and while they have a majority black cast, they weren't directed by black people, did not have a budget of over 100 million and did not gross over 500 million (both films didn't even hit 20 million). Black Panther is an anomaly that Feige produced, whether you like it or not.
    Ok both of which are low budget dramas. There just are not many movies in general that are set in Africa just like there aren't that many movies set in Australia or Kazakhstan or Vietnam or wherever else. Black Panther was only made after the MCU became a juggernaut. Feige has been in this business for 2 decades not just with Marvel Studios but elsewhere yet only waited until the MCU was big enough to draw in literally anything. It is more a testament to how strong the marvel brand is than Feige going on an initiative to be more inclusive. Feige can say he wanted this all along but he waited only now. If it was so important again why didn't he leave Marvel Studios sooner if this was that important?

Third, you must really think you have some kind of point with Blade. It's hilarious. None of the Blade movies were directed by black people. None of the Blade movies have a majority black cast. The first Blade film came out over 20 years ago and the last one over 15 years ago. None of the Blade movies are even about the black experience. Is your idea of bringing up Blade that black fans should be grateful they get a good superhero movie every 15-20 years? Again, Black Panther is an anomaly that Feige produced, whether you like it or not.
    So what it wasn't directed by black people why does it matter who is behind the camera? And Blade was set in LA do you expect the cast to be mostly black when 20 percent of LA is black? If Black Panther had a majority white cast I'd complain too. And black experience? What does that mean?

Finally, so what if Black Panther came a decade after the MCU started? Should Feige and Marvel Studios be shamed for having a good record of constant hits for a decade, when almost every other franchise doesn't? WB and FOX has been making movies and superhero movies for much longer than a decade and yet Wonder Woman only came out in 2017 and FOX has absolutely nothing to show for this despite having one of the best IPs to do it with. It only took 10 years after becoming a major producer and CEO of a film studio for Feige to release a superhero movie with a non-white lead and 11 for a non-male lead, and the time is a lot shorter if you consider when both films went into development. No one needs to fellate Feige for pushing for diversity and inclusion but he is doing it. That is commendable, whether you like it or not.
    Considering Feige himself acts ashamed about not putting more diversity sooner I'd say yes. And I do think it is wrong WB and Fox took so long to make movies about minority heroes but they also don't publicly say they risked everything to make this happen or this was their vision along. But again did people praise Zack Snyder for making Justice League more diverse and did he risk his career by casting a Hawaiian for Aquaman, a Jewish person for Flash and Israeli woman for Wonder Woman?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    The DC Cinematic Universe started 7 years ago and they've just now even started the basic process of getting a Static Shock movie into development. Clearly DC is racist.

Guardians 2, Homecoming and Ragnarok all came out the year before Black Panther. Ant Man 2 came out the same year. None of them crossed a billion.
    Nice strawman there. Never called Feige a racist

I was being somewhat hyperbolic, They all made 800+ million dollars which is still pretty damn good

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Yeah it's hard not to say Feige is successful when half of the industry bent over backwards to replicate the MCU's success.

Nice strawman there. Never called Feige a racist
    No, you just said he's exploiting minorities for clout. Which I guess isn't racist?
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    2) He's the architect of perhaps the greatest cinematic epic in the history of the medium with zero false starts and zero fails. Even the worst MCU film can only be deemed "bad" in comparisson to other MCU films. They are all superior to their closest competition outside the MCU. THat's not an easy trick to pull off.
    no the bad mcu movies are bad movies period

3) Snyder is a director and writer. Feige runs the entire company both on the business side and creatively. There's no grounds for comparison between the two men.
    yet people still compare them

4) Feige never, not once, excreted on the source material, imposing his own jaundiced vision in the translation from comics to film. Instead, he honored the source material and its fans by choosing only the best, core aspects of Marvel mythology to translate and letting everything that was superfluous or confusing go.
    He absolutely did impose his jaundice vision. Yeah making Mar Vell a middle aged woman and Star Lord a man child is honoring the source material.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

But Feige didn't write those. You're confusing the roles of writers, directors, and producers, of which Feige is only the third.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    No, you just said he's exploiting minorities for clout. Which I guess isn't racist?
    not necessarily no. Exploiting is only harmful if it is forceful which Feige is obviously not forcing anyone to do anything. I'm just saying Feige probably doesnt care nor has ever cared about race

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

No, I think it's "Zack Snyder is better at everything and that should be acknowledged by everyone, especially if they like even one MCU movie."

Or some variation of that.
    But they dont even have the same job?

Essentially. Or he shouldn't be praised because OP doesn't like him, and OP's opinion is paramount.
    Yeah, its a bit of a mess tbh, hard to follow haha.

Extraordinary Member

I've been saying for months now that Snyder is a niche filmmaker and his fans just have to accept that. Not everyone is going to like his movies and that's okay.

The problem is I think a lot of them have really tied their ego to how well his films are received because of how they make them feel (i.e., they make them feel smart or mature or something), so they're so hellbent on everyone else loving his movies.
    Or making other people feel bad for not liking what he likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    But they dont even have the same job?
    Yep, your guess is as good as mine.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.