Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 122
  1. #61
    Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,290

    Default

    You're not proving anything whatsoever with these posts. People on the dedicated Marvel Studios Reddit have positive things to say about Kevin Feige sticking up to Ike Perlmutter and pushing for diversity? Okay, why are you upset about that? What did you expect? No one there is acting like he's the first person to do anything, but he did it regardless and it's commendable. Which other producer do you know that actively sought out black directors for a film that was a 90% black cast and crew, with a budget of over $100 million and eventually grossed more than $500 million at the box office (1.3 billion to be exact)? That's not even just looking at superhero movies or blockbuster films only.

    Head over to r/DC_Cinematic and you'll see the exact same blind praise for Zack Snyder. Head over to r/StarWars and it's all about Dave Filloni. This behaviour isn't unique to MCU fanboys and for Feige only just because you don't like him and his movies.

  2. #62
    Better than YOU! Alan2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    Alright I won't mention Zack Snyder. Just answer do you believe Feige is genuine about diversity or is he doing this for money?
    If I gave you a hundred dollars, would it matter to you whether I did it out of the goodness of my own heart or whether I did it to make myself look good to others?

  3. #63
    Niffleheim
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    7,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    Alright I won't mention Zack Snyder. Just answer do you believe Feige is genuine about diversity or is he doing this for money?
    So far it has been successful, so does It really matter if he is genuine about it when the end result is the same? Lets take the worst case scenario and think Feige is mostly doing all this for the money and social capital in business his effort amounts to the same thing in the end - Protecting and expanding the Marvel brand.

  4. #64
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    You're not proving anything whatsoever with these posts. People on the dedicated Marvel Studios Reddit have positive things to say about Kevin Feige sticking up to Ike Perlmutter and pushing for diversity? Okay, why are you upset about that? What did you expect? No one there is acting like he's the first person to do anything, but he did it regardless and it's commendable. Which other producer do you know that actively sought out black directors for a film that was a 90% black cast and crew, with a budget of over $100 million and eventually grossed more than $500 million at the box office (1.3 billion to be exact)? That's not even just looking at superhero movies or blockbuster films only.

    Head over to r/DC_Cinematic and you'll see the exact same blind praise for Zack Snyder. Head over to r/StarWars and it's all about Dave Filloni. This behaviour isn't unique to MCU fanboys and for Feige only just because you don't like him and his movies.
    Yeah blind praise for Snyder

    Of course Black Panther is 90 percent black it is set in central africa hence the complete devoid of diversity in that movie. Like man can you think of any movie set in africa in the last 40 years? I genuinely can't and most of the ones that are are historical dramas. And I guess Blade doesn't exist. And he only made Black Panther after nearly a decade of developing a good brand with the MCU. Like at this point literally anything tied to the MCU will gross a billion dollars

  5. #65
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    So far it has been successful, so does It really matter if he is genuine about it when the end result is the same? Lets take the worst case scenario and think Feige is mostly doing all this for the money and social capital in business his effort amounts to the same thing in the end - Protecting and expanding the Marvel brand.
    yeah it does matter because if it isn't genuine you get half assed attempts like with Joe Russo's cameo in Endgames being the first open gay man in the mcu. Honestly wouldn't surprise me if Valkyrie kisses a woman for 3 seconds so it is easily edited out of foreign releases. That isn't even mentioning the hypocrisy

    maybe to you being genuine doesn't matter but to me it does. I'll leave it there. I don't hate Feige he just is what he is and there is nothing wrong with that. It is great he is finally starting to be inclusive after 10 years but this doesn't make him a champion of minorities or a trailblazer

  6. #66
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    Like at this point literally anything tied to the MCU will gross a billion dollars
    It never occurs to you that people go McDonald's for McDonald's burgers and how it tastes. Maybe it is you wrong are for expecting the burger to be made out of wagyu beef at McDonald's.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-22-2020 at 10:36 AM.

  7. #67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    If I gave you a hundred dollars, would it matter to you whether I did it out of the goodness of my own heart or whether I did it to make myself look good to others?
    Ooohhh, $100 bucks. Thanks buddy.

    Oh, not for me.
    Sorry.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

  8. #68
    Niffleheim
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    7,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    yeah it does matter because if it isn't genuine you get half assed attempts like with Joe Russo's cameo in Endgames being the first open gay man in the mcu. Honestly wouldn't surprise me if Valkyrie kisses a woman for 3 seconds so it is easily edited out of foreign releases. That isn't even mentioning the hypocrisy

    maybe to you being genuine doesn't matter but to me it does. I'll leave it there. I don't hate Feige he just is what he is and there is nothing wrong with that. It is great he is finally starting to be inclusive after 10 years but this doesn't make him a champion of minorities or a trailblazer
    I don't think there is any way to satisfy your need for answers. I don't think you are looking for any here Even me matching your own skepticism of Feige being disingenuous about diversity and it being all about the money seems to make you find another counter argument for your own baseless accusations

  9. #69
    Extraordinary Member Holt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,022

    Default

    Kevin Feige rear ended my car and refused to handle it through insurance. Bastard.

  10. #70
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    It is just frustrating trying to have any discussion about Feige since people treat him like Jesus Christ. If the reason is because he is a 'comic book nerd' and passionate well so is Zack Snyder yet nobody gives him ANY slack and assumes the worst out of him.
    His current approval rating is 34%, meaning 34% of Americans are still morons.

  11. #71
    Mighty Member Redjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lost Angles
    Posts
    1,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    It seems like people on the internet just love Kevin Feige almost to a degree to where if you criticize him for anything they feel the need to deflect any criticism of this multi millionaire 20 year movie producer away to somebody else. As an example I comment on a post about a quote from Mark Ruffalo claiming Feige threatened to leave unless Disney allowed him to make the MCU more diverse and many people were praising him for it. I however am skeptical about it and mentioned to someone how he was complacent for 7 years on getting a black and woman superhero movie. Of course they deflected on being Perlmutter who was the problem yet ignore the fact Feige also white washed the Ancient One for China, censored Black Panther posters for China as well and only threatened to leave marvel NOW. He could've threatened to leave marvel back in 2010 for not getting his way but he didn't, instead just going along with what Perlmutter wanted. And his talk about risking his career for diversity is so BS. Name me one producer who ruined their career by pushing inclusion. Last time I checked people were demanding more diversity in movies

    Note I don't have an issue with diversity what I do have is Feige prancing around these people of color like they're new toys for his collection. IDC if a director is white, brown, black or purple. When Feige hired Joss Whedon did he make a statement about how excited he was to hire a white guy? And excuses about Perlmutter only go so far. I literally read somewhere that somebody from marvel literally said "Ike doesn't discriminate or care about diversity he focuses on money." Like why would Perlmutter care if a movie director is black? Most people aren't going to pay attention to who makes the films. Literally every criticism I have just gets deflected to somebody because Feige never does anything wrong

    It is just frustrating trying to have any discussion about Feige since people treat him like Jesus Christ. If the reason is because he is a 'comic book nerd' and passionate well so is Zack Snyder yet nobody gives him ANY slack and assumes the worst out of him. Yet Feige gets a pass for virtually everything
    1) Feige doesn't need a pass. His track record speaks for itself.

    2) He's the architect of perhaps the greatest cinematic epic in the history of the medium with zero false starts and zero fails. Even the worst MCU film can only be deemed "bad" in comparisson to other MCU films. They are all superior to their closest competition outside the MCU. THat's not an easy trick to pull off.

    3) Snyder is a director and writer. Feige runs the entire company both on the business side and creatively. There's no grounds for comparison between the two men.

    4) Feige never, not once, excreted on the source material, imposing his own jaundiced vision in the translation from comics to film. Instead, he honored the source material and its fans by choosing only the best, core aspects of Marvel mythology to translate and letting everything that was superfluous or confusing go.

    By ANY yardstick, he is, by far, the superior creative force. He needs no "pass" or "defense." Facts are facts. It's why we don't call them opinions.
    Last edited by Redjack; 10-22-2020 at 11:22 AM. Reason: spelling and typos

  12. #72
    Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    2,323

    Default

    Having just read 5 pages, I’m still not really sure what the argument is? That Feige is a great producer but people shouldn’t like him because he’s paid for it?

  13. #73
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    Having just read 5 pages, I’m still not really sure what the argument is? That Feige is a great producer but people shouldn’t like him because he’s paid for it?
    No, I think it's "Zack Snyder is better at everything and that should be acknowledged by everyone, especially if they like even one MCU movie."

    Or some variation of that.
    His current approval rating is 34%, meaning 34% of Americans are still morons.

  14. #74
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    never said that man. However what do you define as a good or bad take? We could argue about the quality of the characters themselves but if we compare them to the DnA version which this draws from Gunn "failed" (though it is hard to fail when you don't try) at replicating them. Every character is way different. It is like when people say Snyder's take on superman is bad.
    No MCU movie tries to replicate the characters and stories. Doing that is folly. They take the basic character concept and put their spin (filtered through the machine that is Marvel Studios and Disney) on it. So in this case they're not exactly like the comic versions, mainly because they haven't lived the same lives as the comic characters. It's called an adaptation and not a copy for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    Your description about the GotG is about as general as me saying Snyder understands superman because he keeps the core of his character which is being heroic and wearing a blue suit. I'd say I draw the line when a writer makes the heroes literally villains. Like the Guardians are literally criminals they aren't superheroes and they do barely anything heroic. They're more like the suicide squad than the gotg. Imagine if he made the Justice League outlaws. Hell the only reason they wanted the power start at the start was for money only later when they realize Ronin is going to destroy Xandar do they get a change which is stupid considering we don't see the guardians show concern for civilians throughout the movie or have a code of avoiding unnecessary deaths
    They overcome their own personal flaws and shortcomings to go on what they believe to be a suicide mission to protect an entire planet from a dangerous terrorist with a godlike weapon at his disposal. And they do that of their own free will simply because it's the right thing to do, and they convice the Ravagers to do the same. Groot sacrifices himself to save his found family. That's heroic by any measure. Do they start out as outlaws who don't really fit into most legal systems even at the end of the movie? Yes, that doesn't mean that they can't be heroes. That's really a very narrow view of what a hero is and can be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    Including Star Lord talking about masturbation and nova reading "I may be an asshole but Im not a complete dick"?
    Right. Star-Lord talked about an icky subjects and there were jokes in the movie. Clearly this means that Gunn absolutely hates the franchise and that he burns random issues of Guardians of the Galaxy to fuel his unending vitriol towards it all.

    No, I had no issues with those scenes and generally think that Gunn did an amazing job as a director, the characters making crude jokes does not detract from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    Were they always your favorite heroes? I disagree if you called the movie anything else nobody would think they were the gotg
    They've been one of my favourite teams since the Annihilation events and DnA's comic run. Then GotG fans would sit around and wonder why they didn't call a movie with Star-Lord, Rocket Raccoon, Groot and Drax Guardians of the Galaxy. They're all members of that team.

  15. #75
    Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    Having just read 5 pages, I’m still not really sure what the argument is? That Feige is a great producer but people shouldn’t like him because he’s paid for it?
    Essentially. Or he shouldn't be praised because OP doesn't like him, and OP's opinion is paramount.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •